42%

Total votes: 19

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Magical Mystery Tour - Side B - Round 2

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 5:09pm
Just to be a turd, I'll add some Hestonian logic. Close to half a billion people tuned in to see the band debut AYNIL. Surely that means it's a great song, no? :shifty:
What a turd
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 5:09pm
Just to be a turd, I'll add some Hestonian logic. Close to half a billion people tuned in to see the band debut AYNIL. Surely that means it's a great song, no? :shifty:
What a turd
Well, I asked for it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hello, Goodbye has less votes than SFF ...Meanwhile back in the real world Trump gets re-elected. :crazy:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 5:03pm
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 2:53pm
Us punk rockers need to see off the meaningless hippie bullshit of All You Need Is Love, which is a shit, underwritten song with a message that encourages laying around on your arse not facing what's wrong with your life and the world.
That's a legit criticism and in the larger sense I agree. But using it to argue for—at least relatively so—a song about "remember how wonderful it was seeing the butcher and the grocer and the smell of flowers and food." I mean, if the standard is punk, "Penny Lane" is hardly better. How does it encourage action or critical thinking any more than AYNIL? AYNIL has an argument and a half-baked philosophy in it, but it's more than dumb nostalgia from someone who is, like, 23 years old. If you're going to critique AYNIL on those standards, apply them to PL.
PL is part of a wider re-examination and smoothening out of the British past, like the Kinks did with Village Green Preservation Society. The nostalgia doesn't mean a lot, but the feelings it inspired in the songwriters were very real and heartfelt to them. They're bleeding strawberry jam onto the page and the melody is there to express that. Put another way, Penny Lane is a sincere but misguided look at how we look back at the world that birthed us and in the intensity of that feeling - whatever the age of the songwriter - we're given one of the best tunes in 60s pop, unlike All You Need Is Love, which disguises the fact that it's nowhere musically with studio trickery and extracts from other songs.

Likewise, Penny Lane is a mood piece, not something seeking to be a definitive statement or finest hour like AYNIL (which fails at being both) and needs to be considered in its own ambitions.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 5:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Us punk rockers need to see off the meaningless hippie bullshit of All You Need Is Love, which is a shit, underwritten song with a message that encourages laying around on your arse not facing what's wrong with your life and the world.
That's a legit criticism and in the larger sense I agree. But using it to argue for—at least relatively so—a song about "remember how wonderful it was seeing the butcher and the grocer and the smell of flowers and food." I mean, if the standard is punk, "Penny Lane" is hardly better. How does it encourage action or critical thinking any more than AYNIL? AYNIL has an argument and a half-baked philosophy in it, but it's more than dumb nostalgia from someone who is, like, 23 years old. If you're going to critique AYNIL on those standards, apply them to PL.
PL is part of a wider re-examination and smoothening out of the British past, like the Kinks did with Village Green Preservation Society. The nostalgia doesn't mean a lot, but the feelings it inspired in the songwriters were very real and heartfelt to them. They're bleeding strawberry jam onto the page and the melody is there to express that. Put another way, Penny Lane is a sincere but misguided look at how we look back at the world that birthed us and in the intensity of that feeling - whatever the age of the songwriter - we're given one of the best tunes in 60s pop, unlike All You Need Is Love, which disguises the fact that it's nowhere musically with studio trickery and extracts from other songs.

Likewise, Penny Lane is a mood piece, not something seeking to be a definitive statement or finest hour like AYNIL (which fails at being both) and needs to be considered in its own ambitions.
Fucking hell and there was me thinking it was just a pretty tune the postman whistled while delivering my post.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 11:39pm
Hello, Goodbye has less votes than SFF ...Meanwhile back in the real world Trump gets re-elected. :crazy:
I continue to be confused and disappointed by people. I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating:

I never would have guessed so many people here now would have been with the audience then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

That kind of argument about the lyrical context and content necessarily validates AYNIL then. Sincere, misguided, intensity of feeling—those all apply. That you say AYNIL fails as a definitive statement seems odd, tho. Any number of lazy writers use it to title books and articles about the band because it does so easily define the band. At the end of the day, I suspect all four would be comfortable saying that that title more than any other summarized the band's outlook.

(I hate being forced to advocate for AYNIL. If not for PL's syruppy presence, I'd jettison it like sharty underwear.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 7:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
I continue to be confused and disappointed by people. I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating:

I never would have guessed so many people here now would have been with the audience then.
I'm with the last guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm with the last guy.
When I corresponded with the author of Magic Circles, he pointed me to that clip and said that he wrote the book for that fan—the kind of person who was excited about the Beatles always pushing to something else, not being satisfied with what they found to be easy and conventional.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:16am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm with the last guy.
When I corresponded with the author of Magic Circles, he pointed me to that clip and said that he wrote the book for that fan—the kind of person who was excited about the Beatles always pushing to something else, not being satisfied with what they found to be easy and conventional.
It's very interesting that the majority were kind of turned off as opposed to be tuned on.

Watching that clip did make me wonder though if in order to get on tv back then they picked a certain sort of youth. Maybe they are told not to be too outspoken etc. They are not really the hip kids as such.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:19am
It's very interesting that the majority were kind of turned off as opposed to be tuned on.
Several Beatles books cite that they lost a lot of their original fans at this time—they called it going on a "Beatles break"—and turned to bands like the Monkees, who were closer to the "fun" Beatles. That's one of the themes of that book—the steady gap between the band and its fans as to what each wanted. Fewer and fewer fans wanted to push things.
Watching that clip did make me wonder though if in order to get on tv back then they picked a certain sort of youth. Maybe they are told not to be too outspoken etc. They are not really the hip kids as such.
Yeah, to be fair, that audience skews conservative because that's what Bandstand was. But they were kids who, presumably, did love the Beatles earlier on. They probably loved "Penny Lane," tho. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:19am
Several Beatles books cite that they lost a lot of their original fans at this time—they called it going on a "Beatles break"—and turned to bands like the Monkees, who were closer to the "fun" Beatles. That's one of the themes of that book—the steady gap between the band and its fans as to what each wanted. Fewer and fewer fans wanted to push things.
Yeah, to be fair, that audience skews conservative because that's what Bandstand was. But they were kids who, presumably, did love the Beatles earlier on. They probably loved "Penny Lane," tho. :shifty:
Ahh so the real hip kids are pop kids. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It appears Heston is still kicked off the board ;) :mrgreen: , but I'm sure he'd be happy to know that PL appears to have survived for another round.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 11:36am
It appears Heston is still kicked off the board ;) :mrgreen: , but I'm sure he'd be happy to know that PL appears to have survived for another round.
vindication

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 7:44am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

That kind of argument about the lyrical context and content necessarily validates AYNIL then. Sincere, misguided, intensity of feeling—those all apply. That you say AYNIL fails as a definitive statement seems odd, tho. Any number of lazy writers use it to title books and articles about the band because it does so easily define the band. At the end of the day, I suspect all four would be comfortable saying that that title more than any other summarized the band's outlook.

(I hate being forced to advocate for AYNIL. If not for PL's syruppy presence, I'd jettison it like sharty underwear.)
Well, we come down to the entirety subjective issue of what has a good tune and well-written lyrics. I think PL does and AYNIL does not

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/