movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 6:04pm
revbob wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 4:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 2:53pm
The Blood on Satan’s Claw

Always liked this one.
That's in a lyric of a Cramps song.

"Blood on Satan's claw is my middle name...
Yeah I'm sure Lux pinched it from the movie title.
No doubt.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:

Always liked this one.
Another one I watched when I was way too young. This is the reason I like dusky haired maidens.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 10:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Always liked this one.
Another one I watched when I was way too young. This is the reason I like dusky haired maidens.
Attachments
Theironmaidenscd.jpg
Theironmaidenscd.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You're welcome. Things get laughably hilarious around 52 minutes. Two hours and 40 minutes till the end is pretty awesome too

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

WW 1984.

Not sure if I like it. The opening scene in the mall was amazing 80s camp. But overall continue to not really be impressed by Gal Gadot as a lead. But Kristen Wiig was great and Pedro Pascal was incredible.

Didn't care for how it ended. Guy was a greedy fuck, should have stayed a greedy fuck.

Would recommend if you've got HBO Max at least. Turn off your brain for two and a half hours.

At least this shitshow of a presidency is almost over.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Boddington wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 3:18pm
WW 1984.

Not sure if I like it. The opening scene in the mall was amazing 80s camp. But overall continue to not really be impressed by Gal Gadot as a lead. But Kristen Wiig was great and Pedro Pascal was incredible.

Didn't care for how it ended. Guy was a greedy fuck, should have stayed a greedy fuck.

Would recommend if you've got HBO Max at least. Turn off your brain for two and a half hours.

At least this shitshow of a presidency is almost over.
As someone I follow observed, it played like an adaptation of a Byrne Wonder Woman story, and all that's good and ill with that, but that still puts it a few steps ahead of most other superhero movies being churned out right now, imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is still great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 5:56pm
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is still great.
Yep.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 10:53am

Doctor Sleep (2019) Director’s Cut. Ok, when I saw it in the theater I raved that this might be my top movie of the decade. Perhaps I was bit too excited, but I loved it anyway, and despite the long runtime, I was never bored, and will certainly watch it many times before all is said and done. I’ve got the book on the shelf ready to go!
I finally got around to watching this last night. I liked it and a lot of the ideas, but I had some fundamental issues with it. I honestly had a hard time getting over the Shining 1980 adaptation connection. There are some very explicit references/homages to it, but the feel of the film is so different and less languid that it's offputting. I liked a lot of the ideas and the charcters, but it feels like it should have been twice as long to properly convey them and really develop the characters. Perhaps I should have given the director's cut a go instead. Also I couldn't get over how dumb that antagonist's hat looked. Made her look like a lame ass Burner.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 1:47pm
Also I couldn't get over how dumb that antagonist's hat looked. Made her look like a lame ass Burner.
That was my initial reaction, but I got over it in 5 minutes. She had me hypnotized.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:

Doctor Sleep (2019) Director’s Cut. Ok, when I saw it in the theater I raved that this might be my top movie of the decade. Perhaps I was bit too excited, but I loved it anyway, and despite the long runtime, I was never bored, and will certainly watch it many times before all is said and done. I’ve got the book on the shelf ready to go!
I finally got around to watching this last night. I liked it and a lot of the ideas, but I had some fundamental issues with it. I honestly had a hard time getting over the Shining 1980 adaptation connection. There are some very explicit references/homages to it, but the feel of the film is so different and less languid that it's offputting.
That was one of the problems I had with the original novel. Its connection to The Shining was unnecessary(?), like a gimmick to make you read. There was no reason to feel any kind of investment in Danny based on the first book.
Also I couldn't get over how dumb that antagonist's hat looked. Made her look like a lame ass Burner.
I think I mentioned that, too, when I commented on the movie here. Stupid fucking hat.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:11pm
matedog wrote:
That was my initial reaction, but I got over it in 5 minutes. She had me hypnotized.
I wish I could get over it because it's a dumb reason to be annoyed, but I seriously couldn't. I kept expecting to see stupid goggles attached to them for her next trip to the Playa.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:14pm
matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:

I finally got around to watching this last night. I liked it and a lot of the ideas, but I had some fundamental issues with it. I honestly had a hard time getting over the Shining 1980 adaptation connection. There are some very explicit references/homages to it, but the feel of the film is so different and less languid that it's offputting.
That was one of the problems I had with the original novel. Its connection to The Shining was unnecessary(?), like a gimmick to make you read. There was no reason to feel any kind of investment in Danny based on the first book.
I think I mentioned that, too, when I commented on the movie here. Stupid fucking hat.
I like that it elaborated on the shining ability, so that made sense to connect it to that universe. But yeah, Danny's inclusion seemed unnecessary except maybe as someone who was a benevolent figure to provide guidance. But he was also a shithead in the beginning. And they just gloss over 30 years of his life. He's a kid, he's not a kid and is an alcoholic (presumably to mute the shining), now he's not and he's good and ready to help. It just seemed really rushed and not well developed. The showdown at the Overlook was...fine. Again, now you have the same set as the original, but again with a dramatically different feel.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:11pm
matedog wrote:
Never had an issue with her hat, she was definitely entrancing.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 2:27pm
The showdown at the Overlook
That should have been the title, "Doctor Sleep" is lame and I think it's the reason it flopped theatrically. My wife and I thought Return to Overlook would have been better.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak