Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 5:41pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 4:54pm
Found Kory’s alt.
:lol: Surely the more efficient band just doesn't listen to the bass player whatsoever.
That's why the White Stripes were so successful.
And why Freebass didn't conquer the world.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 11:54am
Danny Boyle's a good filmmaker, but I googled the names in the cast and that band shouldn't really be played by pretty boys.
Maybe they could use Donald Trump as John Rotten. After all he's a soon to be out of work actor.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 9:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Danny Boyle's a good filmmaker, but I googled the names in the cast and that band shouldn't really be played by pretty boys.
Maybe they could use Donald Trump as John Rotten. After all he's a soon to be out of work actor.
These days, Lydon would feel honoured by that. Thank Christ he doesn't tweet!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 9:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Thinking about it maybe they should get John to play Donald in a Trump movie. The rise and fall of a president.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 10:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Thinking about it maybe they should get John to play Donald in a Trump movie. The rise and fall of a president.
He'd *definitely* feel honoured by that. Wouldn't even need to wear a fat suit.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 7:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 10:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

He'd *definitely* feel honoured by that. Wouldn't even need to wear a fat suit.
I'm sure Lydon will dislike this series no matter who plays him.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
I have a deep aversion to biopics and Lydon is another problematic one where he is just too distinct of a person to be played by someone else. Boyle is probably going to do about as good a job as you can do and it's still going to be awful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I really can't listen to the Pistols anymore. Lydon's right wing bullshit and constant belittling of others has soured the experience for me. It has been a gradual process but I really wouldn't play them out of choice now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 10:55am
I really can't listen to the Pistols anymore. Lydon's right wing bullshit and constant belittling of others has soured the experience for me. It has been a gradual process but I really wouldn't play them out of choice now.
I'm in about the same place.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 11:01am
Heston wrote:
I can usually separate the art from the artist but for some reason I can't in this instance.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 11:08am
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
I can usually separate the art from the artist but for some reason I can't in this instance.
I think it's cos the Pistols are so defined, and made distinctive, by his attitude and vocals in a way that even other punk bands aren't.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 11:14am
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think it's cos the Pistols are so defined, and made distinctive, by his attitude and vocals in a way that even other punk bands aren't.
When I hear the Pistols or PiL, I still get that jolt of electricity, but I don't play them for pleasure anymore. It's not liberating but rather, as Heston put it, sour. Like Morrissey, I hoped he wasn't that person, but he is. Choices and consequences all around.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
I can sometimes separate the two but more often than not I can't.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 12:59pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Hello,

I guess I'm lucky as I can draw a line - kind of a Johnny Rotten versus John Lydon. It helps if I picture skinny John versus fat John. I used to struggle a bit with Johnny Ramone but got past it. I'd be curious to know how Johnny Ramone would consider Trump - being a New Yorker, he would probably dislike him initially.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

gkbill wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 1:55pm
revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 12:59pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Hello,

I guess I'm lucky as I can draw a line - kind of a Johnny Rotten versus John Lydon. It helps if I picture skinny John versus fat John. I used to struggle a bit with Johnny Ramone but got past it. I'd be curious to know how Johnny Ramone would consider Trump - being a New Yorker, he would probably dislike him initially.
I think he'd be a huge fan, even at first. He liked celebrities.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/