Top 5 Music Videos

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Top 5 Music Videos

Post by Chuck Mangione »

1. Rock the Casbah
2. London Calling
3. Bankrobber
4. The Call Up
5. The Magnificent Seven

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Top 5 Music Videos

Post by Olaf »

It's been ages since I watched any of those. Does Police And Thieves from Rude Boy count?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

The Don needs to release these in HD. U2 are currently going through their own back catalogue and releasing one at a time in HD. Thats assuming Don filmed them on decent stock.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 9:47pm
The Don needs to release these in HD. U2 are currently going through their own back catalogue and releasing one at a time in HD. Thats assuming Don filmed them on decent stock.
LC got the HD treatment a few months ago so probably.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Never really bothered much with music videos but i remember seeing the one for TIRC around the time i got into the band and it was cool.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:41am
white man wrote:
Was good to see it clearly for the first time. Most Clash video's look as though your watching them through a used pint glass. :mrgreen:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Like the song, the video for The Call Up does nothing for me. I'd probably put that last. Probably because Mick and Topper look so ridiculous.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 10:11am
Like the song, the video for The Call Up does nothing for me. I'd probably put that last. Probably because Mick and Topper look so ridiculous.
I like Mick's Peruvian goat herder look.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

white man wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 8:10am
Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:41am
white man wrote:
Was good to see it clearly for the first time. Most Clash video's look as though your watching them through a used pint glass. :mrgreen:
When most of the videos came out originally I was watching them through a used pint glass, or one I was using. It might be a serious wake up call after all these years to see them with some clarity, given my eyesight now.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

1. Tommy Gun
2. Radio Clash
3. The Call Up
4. Rock the Casbah
5. London Calling
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Casbah
London Calling
The Call Up
Tommy Gun
Radio Clash

Why no video for Know Your Rights? Lead off single from a new album, even though it should never have been a single. SISOSIG or Casbah would have went top ten even without Top of the Pops if they'd been released before Combat Rock. They were clueless sometimes.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

London Calling
Complete Control
Radio Clash
Tommy Gun
Magnificent 7

Heston

Post by Heston »

FarawayTowns wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 5:53pm
London Calling
Complete Control
Radio Clash
Tommy Gun
Magnificent 7
I know the CC video was after the fact but it fucking blew me away when I saw it premiered on TOTP2. It helps that the live take is absolutely incredible.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 4:47pm
Casbah
London Calling
The Call Up
Tommy Gun
Radio Clash

Why no video for Know Your Rights? Lead off single from a new album, even though it should never have been a single. SISOSIG or Casbah would have went top ten even without Top of the Pops if they'd been released before Combat Rock. They were clueless sometimes.
Part of me likes the fact of how ornery and uncompromising they were about this stuff, but a lot of it never made much sense for sure. I still wonder how Straight to Hell might have fared as a single in its own right. Obviously it was a double a with SIS but i never really understood what that meant, it is to all intents and purposes the b side from what i can see. Anyway it's a bit more album track vibe but i suspect it could have done ok, top 20 anyway, maybe more. Better than KYR at least.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I guess if we don't count live videos (White Riot, Clampdown, SISOSIG) and stick to original releases, that gives you the following options:'
Tommy Gun
London Calling
The Call Up
Bankrobber
This Is Radio Clash
Rock the Casbah

My ranking of all six videos:
1. London Calling
2. This Is Radio Clash
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Bankrobber
5. Tommy Gun
6. The Call Up
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.