The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

I wouldn’t say I can’t listen to the Pistols/PiL, but his politics have certainly made me listen less.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

John being a moron these days only makes me wanna play the Pistols even more. They were a great band that produced awesome stuff.

Nothing wrong with yearning for the old John. You have to accept that with age and comfort people's attitudes will change. It's great when people you really like still fly the flags for the right stuff. But you gotta accept that some are gonna let you down.

I never bought a Sex Pistols record thinking I hope to be liking this guy in 40 years time. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I stopped listening to the Pistols before Trump started running. I think I burned myself out on them when I was younger and now they just don't measure up to Clash, Adverts, or Damned for me in terms of my personal enjoyment while listening. If they had done a couple more albums, maybe.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 7:39pm
I stopped listening to the Pistols before Trump started running. I think I burned myself out on them when I was younger and now they just don't measure up to Clash, Adverts, or Damned for me in terms of my personal enjoyment while listening. If they had done a couple more albums, maybe.
The smartest thing they did was quit after one. One destructive blast and then fuck off. But they still give me a charge that no other band does—not better or worse, just distinct. I'm sixteen again and a lot of frustration and inadequacy suddenly has an outlet. Not nostalgia, really, because I don't miss that time of my life, but that rush of liberating discovery comes along very rarely, so it is treasured.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 8:14pm
Kory wrote:
The smartest thing they did was quit after one. One destructive blast and then fuck off. But they still give me a charge that no other band does—not better or worse, just distinct. I'm sixteen again and a lot of frustration and inadequacy suddenly has an outlet. Not nostalgia, really, because I don't miss that time of my life, but that rush of liberating discovery comes along very rarely, so it is treasured.
I really wish they had never done a reunion.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
At least they never made a record.

In their defence thay were awesome at Finsbury Park in 96. I wasn't there but I listened to an FM broadcast on full blast as it went out and it fucking blew me away.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 8:28pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
At least they never made a record.

In their defence thay were awesome at Finsbury Park in 96. I wasn't there but I listened to an FM broadcast on full blast as it went out and it fucking blew me away.
Yep I was there and they were great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Me neither. They executed a perfect, unsentimental, and spectacular ending. So much of the Pistols story plays out as if it were scripted—god, McLaren would be cackling at that—and they fucked it up by reanimating the corpse. I get that people got an opportunity to see them play in the 90s and 00s and if that was enjoyable, I'm sincerely glad for them—fans do matter—but it fucked up an exceptional narrative. It's like they got George Lucas to manage them in the 90s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 9:01pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Me neither. They executed a perfect, unsentimental, and spectacular ending. So much of the Pistols story plays out as if it were scripted—god, McLaren would be cackling at that—and they fucked it up by reanimating the corpse. I get that people got an opportunity to see them play in the 90s and 00s and if that was enjoyable, I'm sincerely glad for them—fans do matter—but it fucked up an exceptional narrative. It's like they got George Lucas to manage them in the 90s.
I don't agree here doc. As this completely ignores the whole of the Swindle which had already destroyed that myth many years before the reunions. The band had already carried (limped) on in one form or another long after Winterland. I bet if you had seen them in Finsbury Park in '96 getting their dues you would feel different. They were magnificent and the press were saying shit like they wouldn't turn up or play terrible or walk off and so on. They were simply brilliant and the whole crowd most of whom had waited 20 years to witness them had a great time.

I remember you saying even though buying those dodgy semi legit releases in the 80s and 90s you never felt cheated. Well those releases didn't exactly stop the demand for fans like yourself from wanting more long after the event.

Plus I should add that those semi releases were a financial lifeline to Glen, Paul, Steve and Dave Goodman while their assets were frozen due to the Glitterbest Vs Lydon court trial over royalties. Glen had become a heavy drinker after his missus had left him and ended up working behind the bar to pay off his tab. Paul was raising a family. Tough times with little money.

The first reunion shows were solid stuff. The latter ones not so good at all and a lazy easy cash-in. Ever get the feeling...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I still find it fascinating that between the final Winterland gig to the release of the Biggs/Pistols "No One Is Innocent" single it was just under 6 months.

The commodification of the Sex Pistols began very quickly filling the need for more product.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't think you're interpreting or representing what I said properly. I'm talking about the narrative, not the reality of people's circumstances and all that. All that muddies up a great story that runs from around 1975 to January 1978. Adding all the things that came after may have been good for people's bank accounts and for those fans who never got to see them—and, absolutely, all that is true—but it lessens the impact, the holy crap, of that original narrative. I'm talking story, not full-on reality.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 7:45am
I don't think you're interpreting or representing what I said properly. I'm talking about the narrative, not the reality of people's circumstances and all that. All that muddies up a great story that runs from around 1975 to January 1978. Adding all the things that came after may have been good for people's bank accounts and for those fans who never got to see them—and, absolutely, all that is true—but it lessens the impact, the holy crap, of that original narrative. I'm talking story, not full-on reality.
I only deal with reality. ;) But yes I see where you are coming from now as a story of the original band in a pure sense then it is an amazing one. But the story was shattered a long time before those reunions and I don't feel they damaged any legacy. So to say you wish they had never reformed makes zero sense to me.

You can chose whichever narrative suits you best. I find the whole thing from start to finish utterly fascinating. So many things to happened along the way with intriguing stuff. Like Wally Nightingale dying from a drug related problem the year they reformed and Sid's mum also dying that year. Conspiracies ....

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 8:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I only deal with reality. ;) But yes I see where you are coming from now as a story of the original band in a pure sense then it is an amazing one. But the story was shattered a long time before those reunions and I don't feel they damaged any legacy. So to say you wish they had never reformed makes zero sense to me.
You must love Attack of the Clones:shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 9:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 8:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You must love Attack of the Clones:shifty:
You could just watch the Star Wars movies you enjoy. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia