Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Star Wars

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 9:05pm
Wolter wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 8:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:52pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:38pm

I've mentioned it a few times. The Boss and I love it. I was skeptical of the premise when it was announced, but it ended up being most of what I love about Star Wars without any of the stuff I don't. Between The Mandalorian, Solo, and Rogue One, it shows that Star Wars can be really good if they push aside all the Skywalker Saga stuff—a premise that's proven to be a real drag on the fun.
Ive just watched the first 3 I think. His voice is so Clint Eastwood though is that intentional?
Oh yeah, definitely. The series is basically an Eastwood western.
You’re both downplaying the Lone Wolf and Cub samurai aspect, which is similar but distinct from the western proper.
I don't know that archetype. I can guess at its contours from the name, but I'm not familiar with it.
Lone Wolf and Cub was a manga series later made into a series of films about a samurai betrayed by his master and forced to live as a mercenary taking care of his toddler age son.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 9:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Ive just watched the first 3 I think. His voice is so Clint Eastwood though is that intentional?
You’re both downplaying the Lone Wolf and Cub samurai aspect, which is similar but distinct from the western proper.
I don't know that archetype. I can guess at its contours from the name, but I'm not familiar with it.
Lone Wolf and Cub was a manga series later made into a series of films about a samurai betrayed by his master and forced to live as a mercenary taking care of his toddler age son.
Interesting—hard not to see that The Mandalorian was also drawing from that. I assumed the series was an inversion of sorts of the Skywalker set up. Instead of orphan Luke looking to other adults for a family, Mando is an orphan (personally and as a people) who finds family in a child.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Sounds like Hawk and Chick

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 9:38pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I kick myself for not keeping up with Bob's Burgers a lot these days. I don't know how well it's aged (are we in Simpson's fatigue territory yet?) but it's so good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Boddington wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 10:56pm
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I kick myself for not keeping up with Bob's Burgers a lot these days. I don't know how well it's aged (are we in Simpson's fatigue territory yet?) but it's so good.
I think it's holding up well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 11:54pm
Boddington wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 10:56pm
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think it's holding up well.
Still seems quite fresh to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I’ve just discovered a new Star Wars pleasure – watching the movies in black and white. Currently watching A New Hope (despecialized edition v2.5) with the color turned down to 0 and slightly bumped up contrast and brightness. Lovely. It might even improve the prequel trilogy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:29am
I’ve just discovered a new Star Wars pleasure – watching the movies in black and white. Currently watching A New Hope (despecialized edition v2.5) with the color turned down to 0 and slightly bumped up contrast and brightness. Lovely. It might even improve the prequel trilogy.
But if you can't tell the colours of the lightsabers, then you can't tell Jedi from Sith, and then *snort snort* what's the point? :geek:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 7:47am
Kimmelweck wrote:
But if you can't tell the colours of the lightsabers, then you can't tell Jedi from Sith, and then *snort snort* what's the point? :geek:
Well I’ve already seen them hundreds of times in color! Duh. :rolleyes:

*stomps off clutching 19-inch plush Chewbacca (in original packaging) to watch ESB despecialized edition v2.0 in black and white out of spite*

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 7:47am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Well I’ve already seen them hundreds of times in color! Duh. :rolleyes:

*stomps off clutching 19-inch plush Chewbacca (in original packaging) to watch ESB despecialized edition v2.0 in black and white out of spite*
As an aside, when I found copies of the despecialized editions and watched them, man, it highlighted how much Lucas' tinkering lessened the effect of the films.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 12:54pm
As an aside, when I found copies of the despecialized editions and watched them, man, it highlighted how much Lucas' tinkering lessened the effect of the films.
Oh absolutely. I haven’t bothered with the updated movies since finding the despecialized editions.

I did finally get around to watching the Turkish Star Wars movie a week or so ago though. It’s nuts. The opening fighter scenes are strangely cool, but I only made it a little over halfway through on the first viewing because at 2am it was just too disturbing. The subtitle translations are hilarious bordering on insane. “I’m afraid they are taking us to a place of eternal sleep without lullaby.” :scared:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In fact, in the newest planned revision, Han persuades Greedo to go back and get his GED.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:29pm
matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In fact, in the newest planned revision, Han persuades Greedo to go back and get his GED.
That gave me a good chuckle.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Think the best versions of the stat wars films are the thx editions that came out on VHS in the 90s. I think it fixed matting errors and such but nothing beyond making the films as they were at that time look good.

Also, skiing today:
Attachments
PXL_20210113_183921848.jpg
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!