The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by coffeepotman »

I happen to really like Tin Machine, and the one time I saw David on the street the only thing I said was "Tin Machine rocks", he just smiled and kept walking.....btw we just lived a few blocks from each other but only saw him on the street once

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 8:58am
I happen to really like Tin Machine, and the one time I saw David on the street the only thing I said was "Tin Machine rocks", he just smiled and kept walking.....btw we just lived a few blocks from each other but only saw him on the street once
Yeah never understood the dislike for Tin Machine. Good story mate, I would have followed him down the road singing ha ha ha he he he ...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I think Tin Machine is killer! Especially coming after his 80's trio of blahness it was a breath of fresh air. The Sales Brothers were a kick ass rhythm section and at the time not many people were playing like Rieves so it was unique. I really like about half of Tin Machine 2 but Stateside is just the worst

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Anyone watch the livestream over the weekend? I didn't, but I'm watching clips. Everyone seems to be praising this guy Youngblud's (sp?) version of Life on Mars, but I thought it sucked. It sounded like Wyld Stallions or some shit.

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/yungbl ... ars-cover/
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:09pm
Anyone watch the livestream over the weekend? I didn't, but I'm watching clips. Everyone seems to be praising this guy Youngblud's (sp?) version of Life on Mars, but I thought it sucked. It sounded like Wyld Stallions or some shit.

I did. I noted on socail media that Yungblud looked like Gary Numan had a baby with Professor Farnsworth's clone, Cubert

=

+

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

coffeepotman wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 9:39pm
I think Tin Machine is killer! Especially coming after his 80's trio of blahness it was a breath of fresh air. The Sales Brothers were a kick ass rhythm section and at the time not many people were playing like Rieves so it was unique. I really like about half of Tin Machine 2 but Stateside is just the worst
Sorry to disagree, but after the last couple of albums in the 80s I thought things couldn't get worse and looked forward to Tin Machine as I fell for the blurb. I worked in a pub at the time and went in at night after listening to the album and "my puss was tripping me" as they say about someone in Dundee who is a wee bit sad. I was on with Wendy that night, her husband at the time also a Bowie fan. She took one look at me and said, "So you don't like it either." Every ingredient had made sense, but to me it just didn't fir together. I still feel the same, but will be glad to be in a minority.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I also noted that Perry Farrell has become Dean Stockwell's character from Blue Velvet

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

dave202 wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 5:08pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but after the last couple of albums in the 80s I thought things couldn't get worse and looked forward to Tin Machine as I fell for the blurb. I worked in a pub at the time and went in at night after listening to the album and "my puss was tripping me" as they say about someone in Dundee who is a wee bit sad. I was on with Wendy that night, her husband at the time also a Bowie fan. She took one look at me and said, "So you don't like it either." Every ingredient had made sense, but to me it just didn't fir together. I still feel the same, but will be glad to be in a minority.
I need to revisit TM records, it's been a long time

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

tepista wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 5:11pm
dave202 wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 5:08pm
coffeepotman wrote:
I need to revisit TM records, it's been a long time
As it has been for me. I didn't say I'm right, and will accept being in a minority.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

David's output was so vast and varied that not everybody is going to like the same time periods. I know people who love the Tonight album and love the Glass Spider tour, I don't agree with them but to each his own. I'm a big collector so I can find something I like in just about everything he did.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:34am
David's output was so vast and varied that not everybody is going to like the same time periods. I know people who love the Tonight album and love the Glass Spider tour, I don't agree with them but to each his own. I'm a big collector so I can find something I like in just about everything he did.
Yeah. I can find something to love in every era (though the mid 80s is a lot more difficult to sift through, but there’s no way everyone is always going to be happy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 5:01pm
JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:09pm

I did. I noted on socail media that Yungblud looked like Gary Numan had a baby with Professor Farnsworth's clone, Cubert

=

+

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »