Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 2:17pm
Today's topic went from art which morphed into French colonialism, its defeat in Haiti, how the high school French teacher had books promoting the benevolence of French colonialism in Africa, US imperialism/
Interventionism the destabilization of Libya/Qaddafi assassination and ultimately my son asking me (largely a bystander up to this point) why Irish people hate Margaret Thatcher so much.
And you handed him some Pogues cd's and went to the garage to drink.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 2:25pm
revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 2:17pm
Today's topic went from art which morphed into French colonialism, its defeat in Haiti, how the high school French teacher had books promoting the benevolence of French colonialism in Africa, US imperialism/
Interventionism the destabilization of Libya/Qaddafi assassination and ultimately my son asking me (largely a bystander up to this point) why Irish people hate Margaret Thatcher so much.
And you handed him some Pogues cd's and went to the garage to drink.
Garage is too cold this time of year.

I will say that both my kids were more politically aware than I was at an early age.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Its hot tea season for me and What I can only assume was one of my son's asshole friends put salt in the sugar dispenser. If I find out who there will be much regret.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 4:57pm
I will say that both my kids were more politically aware than I was at an early age.
From a distance perspective, I agree, but I've been disappointed in how numbingly apolitical my students have been. Hell, it's the conservative ones who have shown spine in terms of politics.
Its hot tea season for me and What I can only assume was one of my son's asshole friends put salt in the sugar dispenser. If I find out who there will be much regret.
The old reverse "sugar me do."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 10:00am
Well that was cool.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An observation about teaching in Zoom: I think I'm understanding the weird buzz that actors get from being on stage. I basically dread the start of every class—more so this year—but since around last November, once the camera goes live, I am fucking amped. I've never been a droning, boring lecturer, but working from home and delivering lectures remotely, it's like being on speed. My hands are moving and I'm seriously putting inflection in my voice. It's like being possessed by a supernatural force because I am not that demonstrative weirdo in real life. I was always curious about how shy people could be actors, but I think I understand it a bit better now—some kind of switch just gets turned on and something just seizes you.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 1:59pm
An observation about teaching in Zoom: I think I'm understanding the weird buzz that actors get from being on stage. I basically dread the start of every class—more so this year—but since around last November, once the camera goes live, I am fucking amped. I've never been a droning, boring lecturer, but working from home and delivering lectures remotely, it's like being on speed. My hands are moving and I'm seriously putting inflection in my voice. It's like being possessed by a supernatural force because I am not that demonstrative weirdo in real life. I was always curious about how shy people could be actors, but I think I understand it a bit better now—some kind of switch just gets turned on and something just seizes you.
Hello,

I wouldn't say amped but I'm generally excited when I lecture. It helps if you are genuinely excited about the material you're presenting - I usually am. There is a difference if I can see students while I lecture. I really like seeing who I am talking to/with and their reactions - thus the need for a second monitor.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 2:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I wouldn't say amped but I'm generally excited when I lecture. It helps if you are genuinely excited about the material you're presenting - I usually am. There is a difference if I can see students while I lecture. I really like seeing who I am talking to/with and their reactions - thus the need for a second monitor.
I've mentioned that to students. If everyone has their cameras off, I'm literally talking to myself. But being able to focus on even a couple live faces makes it easier. The importance of facial cues and all that. I mean, try dropping in a joke when you can't read the room. It always feels lame. My hope is that there's something contagious about it all and I can get more people to kind of feed the furnace more.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 2:15pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I've mentioned that to students. If everyone has their cameras off, I'm literally talking to myself. But being able to focus on even a couple live faces makes it easier. The importance of facial cues and all that. I mean, try dropping in a joke when you can't read the room. It always feels lame. My hope is that there's something contagious about it all and I can get more people to kind of feed the furnace more.
Hello,

Ask questions just to check up on people. Students joke with me privately abut how many times I say "Thumbs up if you get it". If I don't get a thumbs up from someone and they look distracted, I say "Hey, I didn't get a thumbs up from you". I laugh to myself as whenever I say that Ithink of this:

"Hey, I didn't get a thumbs up from that guy!".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 2:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 2:15pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Ask questions just to check up on people. Students joke with me privately abut how many times I say "Thumbs up if you get it". If I don't get a thumbs up from someone and they look distracted, I say "Hey, I didn't get a thumbs up from you". I laugh to myself as whenever I say that Ithink of this:

"Hey, I didn't get a thumbs up from that guy!".
Ha! I'm not someone who likes to call on people. I'm pretty voluntarist in that respect. I do have questions built into the lecture, tho, to keep people awake.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

'Magic mushrooms' grow in man's blood after injection with shroom tea

https://www.livescience.com/amp/magic-m ... eport.html
... which prompted him to boil down shrooms into a "mushroom tea." He filtered the tea by drawing it through a "cotton swab" before injecting it into his body. In the following days, he became lethargic and nauseated, and his skin began to yellow. He soon developed diarrhea and began vomiting blood. ...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 8:20am

... which prompted him to boil down shrooms into a "mushroom tea." He filtered the tea by drawing it through a "cotton swab" before injecting it into his body. In the following days, he became lethargic and nauseated, and his skin began to yellow. He soon developed diarrhea and began vomiting blood. ...
Holy crap. :scared:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 9:14am
revbob wrote:

Who the fuck thinks its a good idea to inject a fungus into their bloodstream.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 9:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 9:14am
revbob wrote:

Who the fuck thinks its a good idea to inject a fungus into their bloodstream.
Well, some high American officials suggested injecting bleach could kill COVID …