A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 6:15pm
Looks like we have more in common than just Sturgill.

New Order - Not for me. New Order songs make me either think of Bizarre Love Triangle (good) or that World Cup song (bad). This one reminds me of the latter, but not nearly as egregiously bad. 4/10.

Ryan Adams - I gave it a listen and it's fine, but I have a hard time with Ryan Adams lately, so it's hard to get past the man at this point. No rating.

Rilo Kiley - Thanks for sharing this one. After falling in love with them because of a hot indie girl that I briefly dated, I checked out on Blacklight after that Moneymaker single came out. Since then, I've found and really really enjoyed Silver Lining, so it's good to hear some more from this album. This one is not up there with Pictures of Success or Portions for Foxes, but it is still quite good. Jenny Lewis is a prodigious talent and everything she touches is at a bare minimum, good. 7/10

Tegan & Sara - Another band that I have a well documented history with on this board. Heartthrob is still my favorite of their synth pop albums, but this is still good. I'll Be Back Someday is my favorite from the album, but I like this one too. Particularly that big drop right at 1:59. Thanks for reminding me to revisit this album. 6.5/10

The Shins - This is the fourth song on my now 417 song "Matey's World" playlist on Spotify. This song takes me back to early-mid 2012 when I finally had easy access to new music without any hassle and was devouring new stuff. It has such an epic feel that I did not expect from the band and some great hooks. Nine years on, it holds up for me. 8.5/10.
Been a while since a Hoyston but our marks aren't far off each other.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Ryan Adams - I gave it a listen and it's fine, but I have a hard time with Ryan Adams lately, so it's hard to get past the man at this point. No rating.
I hear you on this and I was unsure about including this song on my list. His music has helped get me through some really bad times and that's hard to forget, but I also don't approve of his lousy behavior. I did give his new album a few spins and there wasn't a lot that really grabbed me (as a whole it sounds unfinished), but there was something about this song that allowed me to separate the man from the music.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 6:54pm
matedog wrote:
I hear you on this and I was unsure about including this song on my list. His music has helped get me through some really bad times and that's hard to forget, but I also don't approve of his lousy behavior. I did give his new album a few spins and there wasn't a lot that really grabbed me (as a whole it sounds unfinished), but there was something about this song that allowed me to separate the man from the music.
Sure and I'm not militant about others enjoying his music. It's a complicated subject we've discussed a lot around these parts.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New Order – Be A Rebel
At their best, New Order have been able to splice and recombine the DNA strands of post-punk and disco. At their worst, they remind us that the disco bubble popped because of stagnant, formulaic empty-calorie music. This leans too much in the latter direction for me.

Ryan Adams – When You Cross Over
As with the above, there’s a fine line between sentiment and maudlin. Because I don’t know his brother, it comes off as maudlin. Some songs should stay personal and unreleased for that very reason.

Rilo Kiley – Close Call
I always like RK when I hear them, but rarely seek ‘em out. Jenny Lewis has a voice that makes you wish she were your friend. Big thumbs up.

Tegan & Sara - Don’t Believe the Things They Tell You (They Lie)
If I were 15 and hadn’t discovered punk, noise, and other strange sounds—that is, if I were still that Top 40 kid—I’d be all over this. That is, it’s perfectly fine as background soundtrack or whatever, but it doesn’t elevate beyond passive listening.

The Shins – Simple Song
Heston is spot on in mentioning James. It has a lovely earnestness to it. Maybe I’d hate it if I were in a grumpy mood for that very reason, but appreciating positivity seems a good thing these days.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I'm so far behind. Apologies,

gkbill

Liar Liar - Head Hive. Good bluesy feel. Strong vocals and a guitar loop I can't get out my head. Really enjoyed this 9/10 and added to the playlist.

Chisel - Hips Straight. I get that its intention was messy but this just didn't work for me. Tune was too basic, guitar too scratchy and vocals too shit. 3/10

The Resignators - Off Beat Feeling. Good fun. Not the most memorable but good fun. Reminds me of a naff US movie, played in the middle where we watch the stars make plans, have a laugh, whatever. Sounds like an insult but wasn't. 7/10

The Gentleman's Dub Club - Gentleman's Sleng. Heard worse dub, but also a lot better. Not bad overall, good feel, though the vocals weren't for me. Would listen again. 6/10

The Three Johns - 3 Junk. Not for me sorry. Melody wasn't there and the vocals weren't the best. That bass was nice to hear though so it wasn't all scratchy guitar. 4/10

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Apologies,

Marky Dread

No - Billy Nomates. Love, love the bass leading the track, lovely full sound. All in all the music is fantastic, would happily have that on the playlist as an instrumental. Not so keen on the vocals however, delivery just isn't for me. 7/10.

Better Off Dead - Jennie & The Slingers. Yep this is up my street. Madness esque with vocals I wouldn't normally like but I... do. This is on the nose musically, lovely sax, organ, bass, everything. Spot on, added to the playlist. 9/10

Bionic Man - Fabulous Poodles. Yeah this could easily be Foxton on a thubby bass. Enjoying this a lot. The middle changes the track completely, but not in a bad way. A little unnecessary maybe but, nah it works. Good solid track this one, also added to the playlist. 8/10

Cars & Explosions - The Fans. Yeah this isn't for me. Even if the strange noises weren't there, there's little in the way of a melody to pull me in. All a bit too odd for me sorry mate can't get into it. 3/10

Kitty Ricketts - The Radiators. Good, lumbering rhythm and melody. Verges on pirate-y but not offensively. Unlike the last track, this too is a little strange but tickles my fancy unlike the previous. There's a confidence in the vocals I really like as though they know it's different but fuck it! Enjoyed a lot cheers Mark! 8/10

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

New Order – Be A Rebel
Well, as a bassist AND a New Order fan, I do miss Hooky. I think they should change their name. The song itself is so-so, but I can't give it more than 4/10 because I hate Sumner and his arrogance in thinking that JD without Curtis isn't JD, but NO without Hooky is still NO.

The only singer-songwriter I really like is Damien Rice, but I have a particular distaste for this guy and it has nothing to do with his public persona. Not my thing, I'm afraid.

Rilo Kiley – Close Call
I agree about the bass, good tone. Though I wouldn't mind a little frill here and there. I kind of like the moodiness, but I don't think I'd check more of these guys out, it's just a little too basic. Not "basic" as in the parlance of our time, but nothing about it really grabs me. Must be my prog leanings.

I haven't heard these two since they first came out. I didn't pay any attention back then, but this is quite good. I like the structure and the shifting of tones from section to section. I was kind of hoping for a slightly more interesting beat in the verses, but that's a minor quibble. I'd also have liked the "guitar solo" to be an icy synth, but that's minor too. 8/10
And of course I can't ever think about them without this song going through my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TrOj1l0Ag

The Shins – Simple Song
I've disliked this band every time I've heard them, not my thing again.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 12:30pm

New Order – Be A Rebel
Doesn't quite hit the highs of earlier material but decent enough. 7/10

I like some of his stuff but this didn't really grab like I was expecting. 4/10

Rilo Kiley – Close Call
I enjoyed this really nice melody and the overall feel is pretty cool. 7/10

Quite solid pop stuff with an inventive way of feeding in washes of instrumentation. 6/10

The Shins – Simple Song
I already know this one. The Shins are a little bit hit and miss for me but when they are on it they are great. 8/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

New Order 6.5/10
NO are definitely a 'greatest hits' group for me. I hear something like Fine Time or True Faith and I want to get into them but the albums don't quite do it for me. This is perfectly serviceable but it doesn't excite me.

Ryan Adams 6/10
Never really listened to Ryan Adams. I don't mind this but it doesn't inspire me to investigate further. I'd like to hear more of the inspiration for it in the lyrics I think.

Rilo Kiley 8/10
I like this a lot... the guitar part hints at Big Country for me. Definitely makes me want to revisit.

Tegan and Sara 6/10
I think I prefer their less poppy stuff. Found this one a bit repetitive.

The Shins 7/10
I like the 70s rock feeling here and I've always liked the singers voice. Good choice.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 8:05pm
New Order 6.5/10
NO are definitely a 'greatest hits' group for me. I hear something like Fine Time or True Faith and I want to get into them but the albums don't quite do it for me. This is perfectly serviceable but it doesn't excite me.
Technique is a weird album for me in that I don't really care for the singles at all ("Run" excepted), but I like all the other tracks on the album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 10:04pm
oliver wrote:
New Order 6.5/10
Technique is a weird album for me in that I don't really care for the singles at all ("Run" excepted), but I like all the other tracks on the album.
Hello,

Listen to Power, Corruption, and Lies completely.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 1:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
New Order 6.5/10
Hello,

It's an odd album for me in that I absolutely need to be in the right mood for it. The starkness is either immersive or leaves me flat depending on my mindset.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 7:22am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
New Order 6.5/10
Hello,

It's an odd album for me in that I absolutely need to be in the right mood for it. The starkness is either immersive or leaves me flat depending on my mindset.
Their most recent album (Music Complete) was really, really good (I think their best since Technique). I should have taken a track off of that release instead of going with the "Be A Rebel" single which is not as good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
New Order 6.5/10
Hello,

Their most recent album (Music Complete) was really, really good (I think their best since Technique). I should have taken a track off of that release instead of going with the "Be A Rebel" single which is not as good.
So much better than I expected it to be. "Singularity" is superb, evoking times when they were more curious about what they could do.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 10:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

So much better than I expected it to be. "Singularity" is superb, evoking times when they were more curious about what they could do.
That's my favorite track on the album.