Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 9:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 9:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 8:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 7:45am
I don't think you're interpreting or representing what I said properly. I'm talking about the narrative, not the reality of people's circumstances and all that. All that muddies up a great story that runs from around 1975 to January 1978. Adding all the things that came after may have been good for people's bank accounts and for those fans who never got to see them—and, absolutely, all that is true—but it lessens the impact, the holy crap, of that original narrative. I'm talking story, not full-on reality.
I only deal with reality. ;) But yes I see where you are coming from now as a story of the original band in a pure sense then it is an amazing one. But the story was shattered a long time before those reunions and I don't feel they damaged any legacy. So to say you wish they had never reformed makes zero sense to me.
You must love Attack of the Clones:shifty:
You could just watch the Star Wars movies you enjoy. ;)
Nobody actually enjoys Star Wars anymore. They exist to facilitate carping.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 10:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 9:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 9:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 8:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 7:45am
I don't think you're interpreting or representing what I said properly. I'm talking about the narrative, not the reality of people's circumstances and all that. All that muddies up a great story that runs from around 1975 to January 1978. Adding all the things that came after may have been good for people's bank accounts and for those fans who never got to see them—and, absolutely, all that is true—but it lessens the impact, the holy crap, of that original narrative. I'm talking story, not full-on reality.
I only deal with reality. ;) But yes I see where you are coming from now as a story of the original band in a pure sense then it is an amazing one. But the story was shattered a long time before those reunions and I don't feel they damaged any legacy. So to say you wish they had never reformed makes zero sense to me.
You must love Attack of the Clones:shifty:
You could just watch the Star Wars movies you enjoy. ;)
Nobody actually enjoys Star Wars anymore. They exist to facilitate carping.
At least they serve some sort of purpose. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From a DK book:
Vancouver Sun: Isn't a Dead Kennedys concert on Nov. 22 in bad taste?
Ray: Of course it is in bad taste. But the assassinations weren't too tasteful either.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 1:29pm
Here's some good news:

https://pitchfork.com/news/japan-to-rei ... 32kzz81Dxk
I posted about this in another thread. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13078

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 2:28pm
JennyB wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 1:29pm
Here's some good news:

https://pitchfork.com/news/japan-to-rei ... 32kzz81Dxk
I posted about this in another thread. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13078
Oops - my bad!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Just reading a rather uplifting interview with Marianne Faithfull which mentions a collaboration with Mick which on further digging, i learn is guitar on the track Give My Love To London. Nice to know as i really love that song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Noel OBE other buggers effort

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wow, I had no idea the Winter Dance Party tour kept going after Valens, Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly died:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died
Despite the tragedy, the "Winter Dance Party" tour continued. Fifteen-year-old Bobby Vee was given the task of filling in for Holly at the next scheduled performance in Moorhead, in part because he "knew all the words to all the songs".[25] Jennings and Allsup carried on for two more weeks, with Jennings taking Holly's place as lead singer.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 5:48pm
Wow, I had no idea the Winter Dance Party tour kept going after Valens, Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly died:
Despite the tragedy, the "Winter Dance Party" tour continued. Fifteen-year-old Bobby Vee was given the task of filling in for Holly at the next scheduled performance in Moorhead, in part because he "knew all the words to all the songs".[25] Jennings and Allsup carried on for two more weeks, with Jennings taking Holly's place as lead singer.
It wasn't art, it was a business. And a business built on a presumed fad that was going to die at any moment, so grind out as many dollars as you can while it's working. Early rock n roll was entrepreneurial in the best of senses and inhumane and merciless.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 5:51pm
matedog wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 5:48pm
It wasn't art, it was a business. And a business built on a presumed fad that was going to die at any moment, so grind out as many dollars as you can while it's working. Early rock n roll was entrepreneurial in the best of senses and inhumane and merciless.
Yeah, that makes sense. It just seems baffling in retrospect that they would do such a thing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

An observation: this sea shanty bullshit has to stop.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 6:51pm
An observation: this sea shanty bullshit has to stop.
Yes. The only good sea shanty is Are You Red...y.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

See
Shanty.PNG
Shanty.PNG (487.09 KiB) Viewed 2770 times