The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:37pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 10:52am
Kory wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 5:11am
AND while I’m here, I’m finally watching that Rise & Fall doc and goddamn it, there’s so much live footage of this band, please just give it to us. Just make it downloadable, you don’t have to actually produce dvds or whatever.

Edit: i’m watching this right now and I’m so pleased with what a fool Vince made of himself in this film.
I think the big "get" that that one had was some great US festival footage.
I have a vague memory that I used to have an MP4 file of the entire show, does it exist in that way?
The footage is all available, but not in great quality except like SISOSIG which they rereleased a couple years ago. Rise and Fall has some, clean clips of some other songs too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
AND while I’m here, I’m finally watching that Rise & Fall doc and goddamn it, there’s so much live footage of this band, please just give it to us. Just make it downloadable, you don’t have to actually produce dvds or whatever.

Edit: i’m watching this right now and I’m so pleased with what a fool Vince made of himself in this film.
I have a vague memory that I used to have an MP4 file of the entire show, does it exist in that way?
There has to be circulating pirate dvd's of the whole thing. If the Star Wars Holiday Special was preserved and disseminated to warn future generations, US has to be around, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

There has to be circulating pirate dvd's of the whole thing. If the Star Wars Holiday Special was preserved and disseminated to warn future generations, US has to be around, too.
Seems to be a few versions on Youtube

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 1:54pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

The footage is all available, but not in great quality except like SISOSIG which they rereleased a couple years ago. Rise and Fall has some, clean clips of some other songs too.
I wonder if I still have it somewhere.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Oh, my other observation from listening to the first LP is that Mick definitely sings "... Who needs... The polar bears... Sitting making laws all day" on RC.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 4:50pm
Oh, my other observation from listening to the first LP is that Mick definitely sings "... Who needs... The polar bears... Sitting making laws all day" on RC.
The pearly men.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 4:50pm
Man, that's on par with some of my interpretations.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I thought we had a good copy of the US Festival barring the glitch in LC.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 5:30am
I think it's complete if you use various sources.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 5:46am
white man wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 5:30am
I think it's complete if you use various sources.
All on YouTube.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Latest Uncut magazine talks abut a possible Joe Ely with the Clash live show getting a release (Hope & Anchor 24 Feb 1980) plus also a "I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.

matedog

Post by matedog »

laxman wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:19am
Latest Uncut magazine talks abut a possible Joe Ely with the Clash live show getting a release (Hope & Anchor 24 Feb 1980) plus also a "I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.
That's so cool. Does anyone have an idea what they played? BMC and setlist does not have info for that date. I would guess they just did Fingernails with him.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

matedog wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:25am
laxman wrote:
That's so cool. Does anyone have an idea what they played? BMC and setlist does not have info for that date. I would guess they just did Fingernails with him.
"We just started playing things we knew, like old Buddy Holly songs and rockabilly stuff. And Clash things too, like Jimmy Jazz and I fought the law. You had 2 complete bands playing on this tiny stage about the size of a mattress. It's real interesting, because it's got this reggae influence and then the sound of Lubbock, Texas, where I come from."

The song references might be to what they rehearsed in the days before the show rather than in the show itself. Sounds interesting though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:25am
laxman wrote:
"We just started playing things we knew, like old Buddy Holly songs and rockabilly stuff. And Clash things too, like Jimmy Jazz and I fought the law. You had 2 complete bands playing on this tiny stage about the size of a mattress. It's real interesting, because it's got this reggae influence and then the sound of Lubbock, Texas, where I come from."

The song references might be to what they rehearsed in the days before the show rather than in the show itself. Sounds interesting though.
There are pics from this gig on the sleeve of the Joe Ely album "Live Shots".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

laxman wrote:
"I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it" quote from Don Letts about the Bonds footage.
This makes it seem a lot further away than we were maybe thinking from Teddy's sneaky clues.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc