Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 3:56pm
Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:28pm
I'm going to make calls, but I'm really considering also using text messages. My hope is between the two I can reach a good portion of the list!!
You could try splitting it up, calling people 50+ and texting the under 50s (or something along those lines).
That's a great idea.
You now owe Flex two hundred dollars.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:28pm
I'm going to make calls, but I'm really considering also using text messages. My hope is between the two I can reach a good portion of the list!!
You could try splitting it up, calling people 50+ and texting the under 50s (or something along those lines).
HEY! I like texts too!
Fucking ageist.

The problem Ive had with many of the texts Ive received is they come off as clueless while trying to be personal. Like "Hey Revbob this is Hunter with the so and so campaign how's it going? Can we count on you to be at the rally on Wednesday at 1pm in Montpelier?"

My response: "Well Montpelier is 40 minutes away and I have to fucking work that day so no I wont. Maybe give me more than a day notice next time."

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I had a alt right guy confront me on FB today. Here is the exchange:

Him: Do you consider your self a Liberal or a Conservative? Your Facebook page looks Uber Left of center......

Me: Thanks for the interest. I don't consider the school board to be a partisan position. If elected, I'll work to improve the schools in our community. If you have specific questions about what that means to me, I'd love to talk.

Him: So clearly avoiding declaring your self a far left liberal? How about the BLM movement and ANTIFA do you support teaching about these organizations in the classroom?

Me: Again, thanks for your interest in the school board election. I want to reiterate that I consider this a non-partisan position. In regards to questions of curriculum, those should be directed towards our superintendent. As a potential school board member I am interested in what the community has to say. It’s my job to listen, so I would be interested in hearing your opinions on those questions.

At this point, another community member jumped in and added: "So what if he does? If you don’t like it, run next year." I'm assuming he's referring to the question of do I support teaching about BLM in the classroom.

The guy then said: It’s going to decide where a lot of votes go...... Knowing whether or not he’s a teachers union shill..... Knowing whether or not he would support curriculum that sympathizers with an organization that incited riots, looting and arson. Knowing his opinion on in person school versus covid paranoid virtual schooling. All important for the voters to know and understand

I'm not sure what to do.

On one hand, I feel like this guy isn't after any real answers. He has an agenda and his questions are loaded. I feel like I could keep this going on and on. On the other hand, I do have a real desire to try and reach out - it's one of my better traits (I think)...this deep seated desire to try and find the common thread.

Ugh.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I am thinking about a response that looks something like this:

Thank you for your questions. I agree that it is important to know where I stand on the issues that pertain to the school board. Let's talk the pandemic. I supported the school district's decision to offer a choice at the beginning of the year. This was a decision that was made with direct input from the community. On a personal level, my partner has a preexisting condition, so we're trying out best to keep ourselves healthy. I appreciated that we were given a choice whether or not to send our kids in person. As a school board member, I would continue to make decisions regarding the pandemic based on a variety of voices: students, parents, teachers, and the community. I feel it is important to have these discussions. Reach out to me on Messenger and let's have a discussion about the issues that are important to you. I know we won't agree on everything, but I believe we'll find some common ground.

I don't want to walk away from a fight, but I also don't want to feed into his anger. I feel the pandemic issue is the easiest one to answer without being too political and then if he wants to chat further...I'm okay with it. I just don't want to do it over FB.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Engaging legitimizes bullshit. I totally get that you want to—I love conversation perhaps more than life—but talking with that guy won't elevate him; it'll only bring you down to his level. You said your piece that this isn't about partisan politics and that's sufficient.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just hide his comments. You don't need that bullshit on your social and you're not gonna get through and your responses aLready should make anyone looking in feel good that you're a level headed and sensible dude.

I always give people one response and if they don't follow up with something honest for a follow up thats it.

Alternately, if you really wanna keep it up, ask him to email you so you can respond outside of social channels.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thanks guys, your advice really helps.

The common refrain tonight has been don't engage...you've said enough...and I then have a nagging desire to keep trying to get through and make a connection...but I really need to let it go.

It's tough because the other candidates have not put themselves out there. I guess they would rather just not have these types of interactions. I then think damn, I'm then the one taking damage. But then I'm also the only one having good interactions with people (and most of my conversations have been good).

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I think the advice others have given is good. The honest truth is that a bad faith engagement like that is not worth it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 10:55pm
Thanks guys, your advice really helps.

The common refrain tonight has been don't engage...you've said enough...and I then have a nagging desire to keep trying to get through and make a connection...but I really need to let it go.

It's tough because the other candidates have not put themselves out there. I guess they would rather just not have these types of interactions. I then think damn, I'm then the one taking damage. But then I'm also the only one having good interactions with people (and most of my conversations have been good).
Hello,

Put the burden on him, avoid public discourse. Suggest you would want to discuss issues specific to his interests. "Hey, what's your email/text number? I'll contact you through that medium." If he follows through, you can do so. I would wager he'll quit.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Just echoing what everyone else said. You came across as rational and that your focus is on the schools. He is coming across as a crazy person.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 11:39pm
I think the advice others have given is good. The honest truth is that a bad faith engagement like that is not worth it.
I had the same reaction, and also agree with WWK in that this guy isn't looking for actual answers, he already (thinks) he has the ones he needs and is trying to stir up shit. There's going to be a lot of that from now on.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's Primary Election Day today!! I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll get through to the general election.

The weather is not great today - more snow and the roads are awful, but I hope it clears up by the afternoon.

I feel I've done about all I can to get the word out: maintained a strong social media presence, sent out 750 postcards to people most likely to vote in primaries, and then yesterday we distributed about 400 reminder flyers door to door (which was not fun when the wind chill was -12).

If I do get through - I'll have about a month and a half before the general election in April.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:28pm
It's Primary Election Day today!! I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll get through to the general election.

The weather is not great today - more snow and the roads are awful, but I hope it clears up by the afternoon.

I feel I've done about all I can to get the word out: maintained a strong social media presence, sent out 750 postcards to people most likely to vote in primaries, and then yesterday we distributed about 400 reminder flyers door to door (which was not fun when the wind chill was -12).

If I do get through - I'll have about a month and a half before the general election in April.
A Jewish space laser could clear those roads. Time to call in an IMCT favour!

Good luck, man!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Good luck, man!
The guy who ran as a far right/Libertarian independent for state assembly in November voted for me. Interesting, but I'll definitely take it.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Good luck, man!
The guy who ran as a far right/Libertarian independent for state assembly in November voted for me. Interesting, but I'll definitely take it.
Good luck today! I'll be up in Canada killing Doc for letting the secret out, but I'll check in periodically to see how you did.

Does Wisconsin allow people to see who voted for whom, or did he just tell you he voted for you?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy