B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Olaf »

River wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 7:18am
New BAD II recording from Australia on Youtube. Posted from the BAD Facebook group, the guy said he just recently found the tape he recorded, and in the comments mentions he has another one to post from the same tour.
Yep, just saw that. Looks interesting.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
New BAD II recording from Australia on Youtube. Posted from the BAD Facebook group, the guy said he just recently found the tape he recorded, and in the comments mentions he has another one to post from the same tour.
Cool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:53pm
River wrote:
Cool.
Definitely, and with a capital K!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Haven't watched it, but Don Letts was on last nights Gardeners World

Episode 25
Gardeners' World 2020 Episode 25 of 32
In London, film director and musician Don Letts and his wife show how they have combined their different tastes for plants and culture in their town garden.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2015, 1:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I've just remembered Mick nicked the theme tune from EastEnders for V13. Are there lifts from Albion Market and El Dorado elsewhere on Upping Street, I wonder?

Home and Away = Sightsee MC!
Neighbours = Dial A Hitman
Crossroads = Sambadrome
Well, he told us. "Get It All From My TV," he said.
Ha, this was good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 10:16pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2015, 1:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I've just remembered Mick nicked the theme tune from EastEnders for V13. Are there lifts from Albion Market and El Dorado elsewhere on Upping Street, I wonder?

Home and Away = Sightsee MC!
Neighbours = Dial A Hitman
Crossroads = Sambadrome
Well, he told us. "Get It All From My TV," he said.
Ha, this was good.
Yes deserves a little round of applause. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Listening again to (and thinking about) This is BAD Legacy Edition, I now can't help but think that This is BAD, as great as it is, is still somewhat of a Combat Rock style single album compromise versus Mick's preferred, longer version in four respects:
(i) most obviously, the 4:39 album version of the The Bottom Line is just an edited version of the 8:40 masterpiece on the UK 12 inch,
(ii) the 6:06 previously unreleased "12" Mix" of Sudden Impact (as opposed to the 5:04 album version) just seems like the complete, definitive version of this song, as opposed to some sort of unreleased, extended mix,
(iii) similarly, the previously unreleased 6:15 "12" Mix" of Stone Thames (as opposed to the 4:06 album version) also simply seems complete, especially compared to the harsh edit/ending on the album version. Extra verses/vocals seem to confirm this as well, as does the fact that the band performed this longer version live,
(iv) there is simply no other reasonable explanation than vinyl time/space limits as to why Electric Vandal (assuming it was recorded during the same sessions) was left off this album.

Anyways, my personal version of This is BAD will now include these songs/versions, and I'll imagine that Mick will agree.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

drowninghere wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 1:03am
(i) most obviously, the 4:39 album version of the The Bottom Line is just an edited version of the 8:40 masterpiece on the UK 12 inch
I guess Mick liked the idea of ending The Bottom Line at the 'part 2, part 2' bit as a segue into side 2.

The first 12" single I ever bought (in my life, not just BAD) was Medicine Show (a double-pack gatefold with E=MC2) and by the time I realised I had to buy everything, the 12" of The Bottom Line was hard to find. Eventually, probably a year later, I found a copy at Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill (where I spent nearly every saturday afternoon going from shop to shop looking through the racks.) The second half of the song blew me away.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Bazarboy kindly translated this 1984 interview with Mick from Vinyl magazine and put it on FB. Don't think I've read an interview with Mick from that era.

Nice pic of Mick in the link too...

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/b ... M0uhRXaDqg
the journalist speaks a lot about the last time he heard about Mick (more than 1 year) he speaks about his memories of the Mont de Marsan Festival and about the dislocation of the band (Topper departure and the US festival)
really nothing very interesting until he arrives in the backstage to find MJ and he says that people came to see U2 without realize that the first band contains MJ
"What surprises at first sight, it is the look of Mick, he who we knew so elegant here he is transported 15 years back to the time of flower power I don't believe my eyes. What immediately strikes you is the hat and his military jacket etc. but I was not at the end of my troubles and the first words I was going to exchange with him were not going to reassure me. very quickly I understood that the MJ I had in front of me was a new MJ, transformed, unrelated to that of The CLash.
MJ Itw
"Since the separation of The Clash, it is on purpose that I chose not to say anything. I loved this band above all. More than anything. I never wanted it to stop. Of course Joe's statements hurt me, but I don't blame him. On the other hand, I blame Bernie Rhodes. He set Joe and Paul against me, because he knew I was an obstacle for him. he did it without caring about us. I don't want to talk about the past again, I just want to say one last thing before closing this chapter for good. All the lawsuits that have been brought to me against my former colleagues are false. I repeat, I love the clash too much to be able to imagine putting them in danger "
Journalist "period, all of this is said calmly, without anger, you can tell mIck has thought a lot about it in recent months."
MJ : "I took part in the recording of the first general public album, formed by former members of the beat and I did a few concerts with them. But very quickly I gave up to devote myself to something which was close to my heart for a long time. I wanted to have a child. and today I have a 4 month old baby girl. And then recently I took back my old idea of ​​having a group of my own who would play my music, that's how I founded the group I'm playing with tonight tonight will be our third public concert. last week we opened for the alarm and i'm still not sure what the band name is. for the moment we are called BAd but nothing is final. It is deliberately that I chose to start from scratch. You can imagine that it would have been easier for me to associate with survivors of the punk movement. We would have made money fast and well ?. but no, that's not what I'm aiming for.
what I want is a tight-knit and strong group and I know from experience that nothing beats the hassle to unite the members of a group. But you will find that it is funny to be together eight in a bus after having known limousines. In fact I restart even lower than with the clash. For the moment I don't even have a label even if logically I am still linked to CBS."

After that the journalist describes the concert which for him looks more like a rehearsal than a real concert. however he notes that it is neither punk nor funk, neither reggae nor hip hop but already a mixture of all that.
At the end of the stage MJ says
"I do not want to hurry, I have no record project, in fact currently I'm looking for myself, but don't worry I'll find myself quickly"
And the journalist ended the article by saying that BAd should not be judged on this performance but rather on the energy they release.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 4:17pm
Bazarboy kindly translated this 1984 interview with Mick from Vinyl magazine and put it on FB. Don't think I've read an interview with Mick from that era.

Nice pic of Mick in the link too...

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/b ... M0uhRXaDqg
the journalist speaks a lot about the last time he heard about Mick (more than 1 year) he speaks about his memories of the Mont de Marsan Festival and about the dislocation of the band (Topper departure and the US festival)
really nothing very interesting until he arrives in the backstage to find MJ and he says that people came to see U2 without realize that the first band contains MJ
"What surprises at first sight, it is the look of Mick, he who we knew so elegant here he is transported 15 years back to the time of flower power I don't believe my eyes. What immediately strikes you is the hat and his military jacket etc. but I was not at the end of my troubles and the first words I was going to exchange with him were not going to reassure me. very quickly I understood that the MJ I had in front of me was a new MJ, transformed, unrelated to that of The CLash.
MJ Itw
"Since the separation of The Clash, it is on purpose that I chose not to say anything. I loved this band above all. More than anything. I never wanted it to stop. Of course Joe's statements hurt me, but I don't blame him. On the other hand, I blame Bernie Rhodes. He set Joe and Paul against me, because he knew I was an obstacle for him. he did it without caring about us. I don't want to talk about the past again, I just want to say one last thing before closing this chapter for good. All the lawsuits that have been brought to me against my former colleagues are false. I repeat, I love the clash too much to be able to imagine putting them in danger "
Journalist "period, all of this is said calmly, without anger, you can tell mIck has thought a lot about it in recent months."
MJ : "I took part in the recording of the first general public album, formed by former members of the beat and I did a few concerts with them. But very quickly I gave up to devote myself to something which was close to my heart for a long time. I wanted to have a child. and today I have a 4 month old baby girl. And then recently I took back my old idea of ​​having a group of my own who would play my music, that's how I founded the group I'm playing with tonight tonight will be our third public concert. last week we opened for the alarm and i'm still not sure what the band name is. for the moment we are called BAd but nothing is final. It is deliberately that I chose to start from scratch. You can imagine that it would have been easier for me to associate with survivors of the punk movement. We would have made money fast and well ?. but no, that's not what I'm aiming for.
what I want is a tight-knit and strong group and I know from experience that nothing beats the hassle to unite the members of a group. But you will find that it is funny to be together eight in a bus after having known limousines. In fact I restart even lower than with the clash. For the moment I don't even have a label even if logically I am still linked to CBS."

After that the journalist describes the concert which for him looks more like a rehearsal than a real concert. however he notes that it is neither punk nor funk, neither reggae nor hip hop but already a mixture of all that.
At the end of the stage MJ says
"I do not want to hurry, I have no record project, in fact currently I'm looking for myself, but don't worry I'll find myself quickly"
And the journalist ended the article by saying that BAd should not be judged on this performance but rather on the energy they release.
Great. Thanks BB and Hes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thank you and very observant comments from the journalist about the show.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

If I was to learn seven or eight BAD songs for the acoustic guitar, I'd play them in a pub and bill myself as a tribute act entitled "Tiny Audio Dynamite."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 8:49pm
If I was to learn seven or eight BAD songs for the acoustic guitar, I'd play them in a pub and bill myself as a tribute act entitled "Tiny Audio Dynamite."
That's a T.A.D. good. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 8:49pm
Must be why people called me SAD when I play. Small Audio Dynamite. Now it makes sense.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

This TRAC photo was new to me (I think).
143159232_10226407197592693_3649248791263982153_o.jpg