For all of us Shitallica fans

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: For all of us Shitallica fans

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 3:17am
My wildest pipedream is that my novels one day provide enough of an income to allow me to only have to work a part time day job.
Sell-out!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:08pm
Nothing better completes the evaporation of radical cred than letting a car company use your music.
https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-e ... 150-raptor
There's a rumor that Bruce is doing a Jeep ad for the Super Bowl. That seems remarkably out of character and would be very disappointing.
And here it is: https://www.nme.com/news/music/bruce-sp ... al-2874378

If he wants to make a statement about commonality and all that, cool. And if it means also encouraging people to buy cars, well, isn't that real populism? :rolleyes:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 7:25am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nothing better completes the evaporation of radical cred than letting a car company use your music.
There's a rumor that Bruce is doing a Jeep ad for the Super Bowl. That seems remarkably out of character and would be very disappointing.

If he wants to make a statement about commonality and all that, cool. And if it means also encouraging people to buy cars, well, isn't that real populism? :rolleyes:
I'm a bit relieved to see the pushback from his fans. It's not 100%, but probably a solid 50%. Given how stodgy they are, I was expecting worse.

The message is weak and him doing it is unnecessary. I'm disappointed unless he donates the money to charity which I haven't heard that he has done.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a bit relieved to see the pushback from his fans. It's not 100%, but probably a solid 50%. Given how stodgy they are, I was expecting worse.

The message is weak and him doing it is unnecessary. I'm disappointed unless he donates the money to charity which I haven't heard that he has done.
I'll bet there's a clear class and generational division between those who are being critical here and those who aren't.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 7:57am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'll bet there's a clear class and generational division between those who are being critical here and those who aren't.
I just wanted to know why he was driving around in an open jeep...in the middle of WINTER!?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 8:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I just wanted to know why he was driving around in an open jeep...in the middle of WINTER!?
Because that's what people did, when this was still America. Maybe it can be that way again.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I read that it was his Jeep. Some model from 1980 or something. He was apparently involved with the creative process and it was something that they had been working on for 10 years (?) There's something missing in the story.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 10:10am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I read that it was his Jeep. Some model from 1980 or something. He was apparently involved with the creative process and it was something that they had been working on for 10 years (?) There's something missing in the story.
Working on the jeep for 10 years or the commercial?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Now this is a fucking tune. The chanting at the start was a sample from The Wizard of Oz and works oddly well. From there we get a standard solid riff but it hits 10/10 from 4 minutes exactly. Starting with a nice drum fill we get one of Hetfield's best ever riffs followed by one of my favourite solos from Hammett. ...And Justice is one hell of an album, probably my favourite of theirs.

To any metalphobes on here, please skip to 4 mins in and I'll glady accept any repentance.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

BitterTom wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 4:54pm
Now this is a fucking tune. The chanting at the start was a sample from The Wizard of Oz and works oddly well. From there we get a standard solid riff but it hits 10/10 from 4 minutes exactly. Starting with a nice drum fill we get one of Hetfield's best ever riffs followed by one of my favourite solos from Hammett. ...And Justice is one hell of an album, probably my favourite of theirs.

To any metalphobes on here, please skip to 4 mins in and I'll glady accept any repentance.

And Justice is the best thing they ever did hands down. I never got why people hated on the black album so much when it’s clearly just a logical progression from the slower groovier numbers they did on this album. I also think it’s laughable to accuse Metallica of selling out when they were hardly ever the heaviest thing in metal. They set a precedent for speed perhaps, but by 88” thrash was old hat. The thing that set them and megadeth apart were their songwriting skills, and knack for catchy progressive song structures.
I mean for fucks sake this was released in 87:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 7:45am
BitterTom wrote:

And Justice is the best thing they ever did hands down. I never got why people hated on the black album so much when it’s clearly just a logical progression from the slower groovier numbers they did on this album. I also think it’s laughable to accuse Metallica of selling out when they were hardly ever the heaviest thing in metal. They set a precedent for speed perhaps, but by 88” thrash was old hat. The thing that set them and megadeth apart were their songwriting skills, and knack for catchy progressive song structures.
Fucking hell it leaves me cold and I've currently got a very high temperature. It baffles me how people who like The Clash like Metallica also. Still variety is the spice of life. Give me conformity or give me napalm death. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 8:06am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Fucking hell it leaves me cold and I've currently got a very high temperature. It baffles me how people who like The Clash like Metallica also. Still variety is the spice of life. Give me conformity or give me napalm death. 😉
I think apply some sort of political doctrine to which music you like is a bit silly. I equally love Napalm Death and 70s era genesis.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 8:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I think apply some sort of political doctrine to which music you like is a bit silly. I equally love Napalm Death and 70s era genesis.
I'm no fan of either but there's no hate for them. Some of Genesis prog stuff is okay but I wouldn't choose to play any. Napalm Death are crap. But hey each to their own.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 8:19am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I'm no fan of either but there's no hate for them. Some of Genesis prog stuff is okay but I wouldn't choose to play any. Napalm Death are crap. But hey each to their own.
Napalm Death is certainly an acquired taste. I’ll give you that lol.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 8:27am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 8:19am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Napalm Death is certainly an acquired taste. I’ll give you that lol.
I think the first time I ever heard them was on the John Peel show. I think even now it's the shortest ever Peel session. I thought it was really funny to play those super quick short songs. But then the joke wears thin.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia