Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Post by Silent Majority »

Best o luck man
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 1:58pm
WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:28pm
It's Primary Election Day today!! I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll get through to the general election.

The weather is not great today - more snow and the roads are awful, but I hope it clears up by the afternoon.

I feel I've done about all I can to get the word out: maintained a strong social media presence, sent out 750 postcards to people most likely to vote in primaries, and then yesterday we distributed about 400 reminder flyers door to door (which was not fun when the wind chill was -12).

If I do get through - I'll have about a month and a half before the general election in April.
A Jewish space laser could clear those roads. Time to call in an IMCT favour!

Good luck, man!
The guy who ran as a far right/Libertarian independent for state assembly in November voted for me. Interesting, but I'll definitely take it.
Good luck today! I'll be up in Canada killing Doc for letting the secret out, but I'll check in periodically to see how you did.

Does Wisconsin allow people to see who voted for whom, or did he just tell you he voted for you?
He knows my brother in law and told him he voted for me.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
It's Primary Election Day today!! I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll get through to the general election.

The weather is not great today - more snow and the roads are awful, but I hope it clears up by the afternoon.

I feel I've done about all I can to get the word out: maintained a strong social media presence, sent out 750 postcards to people most likely to vote in primaries, and then yesterday we distributed about 400 reminder flyers door to door (which was not fun when the wind chill was -12).

If I do get through - I'll have about a month and a half before the general election in April.

Good luck, man!
The guy who ran as a far right/Libertarian independent for state assembly in November voted for me. Interesting, but I'll definitely take it.
Good luck today! I'll be up in Canada killing Doc for letting the secret out, but I'll check in periodically to see how you did.

Does Wisconsin allow people to see who voted for whom, or did he just tell you he voted for you?
Just blast Doc with the laser, let it be a warning to others.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

fuck yeah man, give 'em hell. no matter what the result is - sounds like you're running a campaign to be proud of.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 2:24pm
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Good luck, man!

He knows my brother in law and told him he voted for me.
Gotcha!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Good luck, WWK!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 2:26pm
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Good luck, man!

Just blast Doc with the laser, let it be a warning to others.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I made it through to the general election. Here was the breakdown:

1) Joe: Incumbent. White dude, early 50's - 745 votes
2) Mary: Right wing. White female, probably also early 50's. This is the 5th time she's run (has not won before) - 633 votes
3) Dee: African-American female, probably mid-40's. She's a member of the same community equity group I am - 500 votes
4) Me - 483 votes
5) Mary C: Latina female, probably late-30's. The other 1st time candidate (with myself) - 364 votes

The top 4 move on to the general election on April 6th where the top 2 vote getters will be elected to the board.

I think the progressive/equity vote was split between the bottom 3 candidates. The group I'm in - which was organized to promote equity and diversity in our schools - pushed me hard as their candidate of choice for a year. At the last minute, Dee decided she was also going to run. Not sure why. She had said time and time again that she had no interest in running again (she has run before). Her decision kind of threw a wrench in the works if the idea is to get someone equity minded on the board, but we'll see. I'm going to keep working hard. I think I still have a shot and if not it will have been a good experience and maybe a 1st step towards running again for the board or for something else.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 11:38am

2) Mary: Right wing. White female, probably also early 50's. This is the 5th time she's run (has not won before) - 633 votes
3) Dee: African-American female, probably mid-40's. She's a member of the same community equity group I am - 500 votes
4) Me - 483 votes
5) Mary C: Latina female, probably late-30's. The other 1st time candidate (with myself) - 364 votes

The top 4 move on to the general election on April 6th where the top 2 vote getters will be elected to the board.

I think the progressive/equity vote was split between the bottom 3 candidates. The group I'm in - which was organized to promote equity and diversity in our schools - pushed me hard as their candidate of choice for a year. At the last minute, Dee decided she was also going to run. Not sure why. She had said time and time again that she had no interest in running again (she has run before). Her decision kind of threw a wrench in the works if the idea is to get someone equity minded on the board, but we'll see. I'm going to keep working hard. I think I still have a shot and if not it will have been a good experience and maybe a 1st step towards running again for the board or for something else.
So you're fighting for Mary C's voters (plus those who only vote in the general). If you need rumour-mongering and mischief-making, you've got a whole community here at your service. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 12:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:

4) Me - 483 votes

So you're fighting for Mary C's voters (plus those who only vote in the general). If you need rumour-mongering and mischief-making, you've got a whole community here at your service. :shifty:
Mary C? C for communist! The woman is pink, right down to her underwear.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:

4) Me - 483 votes

Pretty good for a first time running, congratulations on making it past the first round.

Liked what Doc said, perhaps some mischievous "alternate facts" would be helpful to your campaign.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 12:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 12:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:

4) Me - 483 votes

Mary C? C for communist! The woman is pink, right down to her underwear.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The Mary who finished 2nd is the one I need to beat. She actually does have some unsavory stuff in her past.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Great work man! You and Dee may want to talk about informally running as an "equity slate" or something, at least to supporters. I assume voters get to select 2 candidates in the election, that way you wouldn't cannibalize each other's support bases.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
Great work man! You and Dee may want to talk about informally running as an "equity slate" or something, at least to supporters. I assume voters get to select 2 candidates in the election, that way you wouldn't cannibalize each other's support bases.
Voters do get to select 2 candidates. Mary C also ran as an equity candidate, though she is a member of a rival equity group (which is crazy that there are rival equity groups in a community this small).

D had mentioned that 2nd place Mary had told her she would drop out because she feels a POC should win the seat. I really don't see that happening. I think Mary was blowing smoke on that comment. She's run unsuccessfully 4 times and this is probably her best shot. I just can't see her dropping out.

I also don't think it makes sense for me to drop out as I assume D and I will be getting votes from the same base. If I'm not there, my votes will go to either Joe or Mary.