Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 3:39pm
matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 3:23pm
Based on the clothes and the photos from around that time, I'm assuming that's Feb 8th or 9th 79 either bay area or LA area. There's a photo of them seemingly in the central valley with the same clothes on which suggests it was the same day as the supermarket pics.
Lots of shots on the highway, embankment and of an outdoor market sale in Gruen's brilliant Clash book.
Was just thinking about picking it up, but saw the price tag...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 3:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Based on the clothes and the photos from around that time, I'm assuming that's Feb 8th or 9th 79 either bay area or LA area. There's a photo of them seemingly in the central valley with the same clothes on which suggests it was the same day as the supermarket pics.
Lots of shots on the highway, embankment and of an outdoor market sale in Gruen's brilliant Clash book.
Yeah I expect it's expensive now. Think it was £25.00 when I bought new

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
I think the outdoor market sale was at the Sausalito flea market. Our friend with the GEER demo tape relayed me with that info. :rolleyes:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 4:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
I think the outdoor market sale was at the Sausalito flea market. Our friend with the GEER demo tape relayed me with that info. :rolleyes:
So Joe hands him a free tape of GEER demos with the idea that tape in turn will be shared amongst fans. He eventually transfers the tape to digital and shares two songs. When asked if he would kindly share the remainder of the tape he decides to be a complete dick and make people jump through hoops. Then to rub salt in the wounds decides the crappy versions we've all been listening to over the years are fine for us.

If you're the guy out there and you are reading this then wise up and share them in the same spirit in which Joe very kindly gave them to you. I'll clean them up and speed correct them all for free for ALL to enjoy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
This piqued my interest until I saw the price on Amazon. All I can say is "wow".
Attachments
The Clash Photographs by Bob Gruen.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 6:40pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
This piqued my interest until I saw the price on Amazon. All I can say is "wow".
Crazy money and not even the first edition.
This is my copy.
Attachments
20210309_230715.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

And just to give Gil the friendly razz, the Fillmore District is generally known as The Fillmore, so the title White Riot in the Fillmore is correct, though the venue is not specifically the Fillmore.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 1:42pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 1:14pm
Hello Marky,

I've been to the Agora (that's how old I am!). I saw the Police as well as Joe Jackson there. It was a nice horseshoe shaped club. The Clash would have been scarily intense in there - but scary in a good way!

Thanks for your work again - providing me with tonight's workout soundtrack!

Could I add the NYC Pier show from 8/31/1981 to your list? I was there and there's some good patter from Joe scolding the crowd for throwing bottles.
Cheers gk, I did read up a little about the venue. I've got the Police show from Agora.

I don't think I've got the NYC Pier show. But Will check and if I have it I will see if it could be improved.
Hello Marky,

Do you have the Police show from 4/27/1979?
I've checked and sadly no.

I do have the following from April 1979.
1979-04-04 The Bottom Line, New York
1979-04-07 Paradise Theater, Boston
1979-04-09 Walnut Street Theater, Philadelphia

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 7:10pm
And just to give Gil the friendly razz, the Fillmore District is generally known as The Fillmore, so the title White Riot in the Fillmore is correct, though the venue is not specifically the Fillmore.
Yeah I did mention that. Still artwork amended now so hopefully he'll be happy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Hello Marky,

I've been to the Agora (that's how old I am!). I saw the Police as well as Joe Jackson there. It was a nice horseshoe shaped club. The Clash would have been scarily intense in there - but scary in a good way!

Could I add the NYC Pier show from 8/31/1981 to your list? I was there and there's some good patter from Joe scolding the crowd for throwing bottles.
NYC Pier August 31, 1981 ...you sure about this date gk? During August were they not recording the Radio Clash 12" in New York then back to blighty to use the Stones mobile at Frestonia?

Right I've checked and you're a year out. It's Pier 84, New York, 08/31/1982.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 8:45pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello Marky,

NYC Pier August 31, 1981 ...you sure about this date gk? During August were they not recording the Radio Clash 12" in New York then back to blighty to use the Stones mobile at Frestonia?

Hello Marky,

I'm sorry about the year! I don't know if you've heard Joe scolding the crowd but it was great (and I was in that crowd!). I remember him leaning over the lip of the stage. Listening to it now, he doesn't seem that aggressive or confrontational - that night, he was.

It's a shame about the Police show. I was on stage and made a vocal appearance.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 11:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 8:45pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello Marky,

Hello Marky,

I'm sorry about the year! I don't know if you've heard Joe scolding the crowd but it was great (and I was in that crowd!). I remember him leaning over the lip of the stage. Listening to it now, he doesn't seem that aggressive or confrontational - that night, he was.

It's a shame about the Police show. I was on stage and made a vocal appearance.
Sting and Bing! 🤣

The Pier show used to be on the Megalist but the link is now long dead. I've asked around for others to check if they have it. So I can check to see if it's fit for a remaster. Do you have it?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

DP.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 5:08am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 3:03am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 7:01am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 1:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 5:32am

Yep I was aware and did my homework. I know all that information and it's on Graham's site. Check the flyer for the gig on my artwork it states clearly "White Riot in the Fillmore!". This is how the show was advertised so that's what you got.

Could've just as easily called it the "Peoples Temple" but as things with Jim Jones didn't turn out to well, best leave that where it is.
I don't know why BMC states “Geary Temple (Fillmore)” on the 1979 – The Clash on Tour page, then “San Francisco – The Filmore” and “Geary Temple known as The Fillmore” on the gig page. That info is incorrect.

http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk/Pages ... %20SF.html

Regarding “White Riot in the Fillmore!” on the flyer, “the Fillmore” refers to the Fillmore District, not the venue The Fillmore. The Peoples Temple was a completely different building, located to the right of the Temple Beautiful/Geary Temple.
It's my understanding that the "Temple" sits at the junction of Geary boulevard and Fillmore and has been known locally as "Fillmore". I know the "Fillmore West" is a completely different venue. As to "Geary Temple" as opposed to "Temple Beautiful" the venue was indeed advertised as such.
The temple where The Clash and other bands played was located at Geary and Fillmore Streets. The venue went by different names (e.g., Temple Beautiful, Geary Temple, and 1839 Geary Temple), but "The Fillmore" was not one of them since that’s a different venue. In this other flyer for The Clash gig, “Fillmore” is only mentioned as a cross street (“+ Fillmore”).

20190720h9f.jpg

This flyer for another Buzzcocks gig at the temple does state "Temple Beautiful" instead of "1839 Geary Temple." Again, "Fillmore" is mentioned as a cross street ("/Fillmore").

20190720h11f.jpg

Anyway, carry on...
So after all this discussion the only thing wrong on the artwork is the word "THE" if that had been "/" instead all would be ok. :rolleyes:
Not exactly!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:04pm
To keep Gil happy. ;)
Ah! Nice one.
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 10 Mar 2021, 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.