Dark Horse releases - 'Assembly' 2LP

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Dark Horse releases - 'Assembly' 2LP

Post by laxman »

I got the following in an email, but none the wiser about it’s date;

Taken from Joe’s upcoming album, ASSEMBLY, this previously unheard recording is also available to stream worldwide here https://joe-strummer.lnk.to/AssemblyID

Discovered deep in the legendary artist’s vaults on a hand-labeled cassette tape, “Junco Partner” was a constant throughout Joe’s career. He first discovered the song on a scratchy R&B compilation in the 1970s and it became a staple on the set list of Joe’s first band, the 101ers, before recording it with The Clash for the seminal Sandinista! album in 1980 and it being a mainstay of live shows until the very end of Joe’s career with the Mescaleros. This previously unreleased home recording of “Junco Partner” offers an intimate insight into Joe’s unique vocal delivery and distinctive driving rhythmic guitar playing, with the accompanying animated mixed media video being created by Spencer Ramsey.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 3:14pm
I got the following in an email, but none the wiser about it’s date;

Taken from Joe’s upcoming album, ASSEMBLY, this previously unheard recording is also available to stream worldwide here https://joe-strummer.lnk.to/AssemblyID

Discovered deep in the legendary artist’s vaults on a hand-labeled cassette tape, “Junco Partner” was a constant throughout Joe’s career. He first discovered the song on a scratchy R&B compilation in the 1970s and it became a staple on the set list of Joe’s first band, the 101ers, before recording it with The Clash for the seminal Sandinista! album in 1980 and it being a mainstay of live shows until the very end of Joe’s career with the Mescaleros. This previously unreleased home recording of “Junco Partner” offers an intimate insight into Joe’s unique vocal delivery and distinctive driving rhythmic guitar playing, with the accompanying animated mixed media video being created by Spencer Ramsey.
Yeah I read all that info earlier today but sadly it doesn't say what era it's from.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

"Home recording" makes it sound like late era joe to me. Didnt he have a decent studio set up in the Somerset gaffe, however long he lived there? Recall Luce saying there was a fair bit of stuff left over, fingers xed this is but a mere taste of it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 8:23pm
"Home recording" makes it sound like late era joe to me. Didnt he have a decent studio set up in the Somerset gaffe, however long he lived there? Recall Luce saying there was a fair bit of stuff left over, fingers xed this is but a mere taste of it.
"Home recording" sounds like any era to me. Like I said earlier I was stunned when "Full Moon" turned up. But you're probably right.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 8:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 8:23pm
"Home recording" sounds like any era to me. Like I said earlier I was stunned when "Full Moon" turned up. But you're probably right.
Ah it could be any era for sure. I was just taken by the quality of the recording but that might not necessarily mean too much. Expect we'll find out soon enough one way or another.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

What is this “Full Moon” of which you guys speak?

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Carpentologist wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 2:30am
It’s a demo track that’s on the cassette of the Joe Strummer 001 super deluxe boxset. It’s also the only track on the cassette.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 3:01am
Carpentologist wrote:
It’s a demo track that’s on the cassette of the Joe Strummer 001 super deluxe boxset. It’s also the only track on the cassette.
I felt it was a shame we only got "Full Moon" on the cassette. Even though It's a great track.

The other cassette that Julian Yewdall placed with the Nat-West bank in '75 had other unreleased gems.

Queen Love
Gyrate to the Rhythm
Bo Diddley 6 Gun Blues
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210308-111020_Google.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 7:13am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
I felt it was a shame we only got "Full Moon" on the cassette. Even though It's a great track.

The other cassette that Julian Yewdall placed with the Nat-West bank in '75 had other unreleased gems.

Queen Love
Gyrate to the Rhythm
Bo Diddley 6 Gun Blues
I'd forgotten there was a cassette only release, although thinking back, wasn't there meant to be another song on the tape? It's maybe a pity that "Full Moon" isn't on this set, although, and I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed, that might mean that after a 'best of' compilation then some more releases with, perhaps, the tracks you have highlighted might be possible. I certainly hope so. Is "Full Moon" a Holy Grail?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 3:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:

Queen Love
Gyrate to the Rhythm
Bo Diddley 6 Gun Blues
I'd forgotten there was a cassette only release, although thinking back, wasn't there meant to be another song on the tape? It's maybe a pity that "Full Moon" isn't on this set, although, and I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed, that might mean that after a 'best of' compilation then some more releases with, perhaps, the tracks you have highlighted might be possible. I certainly hope so. Is "Full Moon" a Holy Grail?
A Holy Grail well I dunno 'bout that but it really shows just how good Joe was very early on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
That’s right...I forgot all about that! Thanks mate!

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
That’s right...I forgot all about that! Thanks mate!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:

Queen Love
Gyrate to the Rhythm
Bo Diddley 6 Gun Blues
Agreed. I think there should’ve been a track on side B.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

dave202 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 3:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:

Queen Love
Gyrate to the Rhythm
Bo Diddley 6 Gun Blues
I seem to recall that it was supposed to be a different version of “Full Moon”...not the “Basement Demo.”

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I wish this release would have contained more “hidden gems from the vault”.
001 was great with all the extras.
To the real diehard fans (everyone on the forum and then some) the live tracts aren’t going to be as impactful because of all the live versions we already have. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll have a copy the day it’s released!