Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 1:07pm
This is by the guy who got me to think I could do this history thing, back when I was his undergrad student for several courses in US history, as well as to appreciate that the written word should be beautiful not just functional. I've already read the dissertation on which this is based—it alternately delighted and irritated me with is playfulness—but I decided to throw him a few royalty pennies by buying the book.
Finally finished this (more showers than baths of late). I recommend it if you want to read the kind of book that historians enjoy reading. That is, it's an exercise in following weird rabbit holes to see where they go and then be delighted in the tantalizing results. It's the joy of research and letting the strange parts of the past emerge. Even if you don't care about secession—I can't say I do—it's about immersing yourself in the obsessions and idiosyncrasies of Charleston in the 1850s and not caring about answers, just questions.

Up next:
I've had this on the shelf for awhile, so it's next. All I know is that it's highly regarded and about Berlin between the wars.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Barely read anything this year. I'll blame the virus. However, I have started to review books for a horror site. What a grift! They just send you the books for free. Hah, great.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 1:07pm
This is by the guy who got me to think I could do this history thing, back when I was his undergrad student for several courses in US history, as well as to appreciate that the written word should be beautiful not just functional. I've already read the dissertation on which this is based—it alternately delighted and irritated me with is playfulness—but I decided to throw him a few royalty pennies by buying the book.
Finally finished this (more showers than baths of late). I recommend it if you want to read the kind of book that historians enjoy reading. That is, it's an exercise in following weird rabbit holes to see where they go and then be delighted in the tantalizing results. It's the joy of research and letting the strange parts of the past emerge. Even if you don't care about secession—I can't say I do—it's about immersing yourself in the obsessions and idiosyncrasies of Charleston in the 1850s and not caring about answers, just questions.

Up next:
I've had this on the shelf for awhile, so it's next. All I know is that it's highly regarded and about Berlin between the wars.
Well shit. I should read that just because I’ll know the places and some of the people.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:43pm
Well shit. I should read that just because I’ll know the places and some of the people.
A fair chunk of it is presented as walking the streets of Charleston and stopping in at various merchants and other buildings. That part would probably be a bit of a kick for you. And it's beautifully written. Larry was the one who instilled in me that academic writing should strive to be beautiful.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:56pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:43pm
A fair chunk of it is presented as walking the streets of Charleston and stopping in at various merchants and other buildings. That part would probably be a bit of a kick for you. And it's beautifully written. Larry was the one who instilled in me that academic writing should strive to be beautiful.
Cool. I’m gonna seek this out.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 8:08pm
I read that when the hardcover version finally came out and liked it a lot. I decided to keep it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 3:28pm
Love that his picture was so Manson-esque.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 6:32am
tepista wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 3:28pm
Love that his picture was so Manson-esque.
Taken from this, which was a poster from the 70s or early 80s. A friend got me this on a shirt. I occasionally wear it to the last class of term.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

9) Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? - Mark Fisher. 2009. Audiobook read by Russell Brand. A short but invigorating book where the writer uses movies and his gripes about his own job as a way in to criticise the managerial and neoliberal approach to the economy. Clever writing, passionate, and a pleasantly off kilter approach made this work. The title came from Thatcher's acronym TINA: there is no alternative. The self fulfilling prophecy.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Someone rec'd me this, I bought it and it's next up

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 4:00pm
Someone rec'd me this, I bought it and it's next up

Cool, let us know how it goes.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I was going to read Infinite Jest, and then I decided not to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 3:45pm
9) Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? - Mark Fisher. 2009. Audiobook read by Russell Brand. A short but invigorating book where the writer uses movies and his gripes about his own job as a way in to criticise the managerial and neoliberal approach to the economy. Clever writing, passionate, and a pleasantly off kilter approach made this work. The title came from Thatcher's acronym TINA: there is no alternative. The self fulfilling prophecy.
Excellent book—read it a few years ago. Unfortunately, he suffered from mental illness and killed himself several years ago. His collected writings were published a year or so back, called K-Punk.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 4:26pm
I was going to read Infinite Jest, and then I decided not to.
I started it last year for the third time. It was fine reading at the outset but I moved on to other things yet again.