What’s the consensus on oi bands here?

General music discussion.
Guest1

What’s the consensus on oi bands here?

Post by Guest1 »

Sham 69, Cock Sparrer, 4Skins, Cockney Rejects, etc...
A lot of people increasingly demonize this as neo nazi music but I’ve always just saw it as nice scruffy working class music. Perhaps that’s because I’m from the states and not the UK.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: What’s the consensus on oi bands here?

Post by Wolter »

Some people here are fans, many are not.

I like quite a bit. I know Flex has shown appreciation in the past.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I really dig Cock Sparrer. The rest I can live without.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

Cockney Rejects, Sham 69 and Angelic Upstarts are bands I was listening to before Bushell decided to invent the Oi moniker and I still maintain that those bands are punk bands. The Oi movement, it's politics and the bands that sprang from it hold no interest to me at all.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Gimmix wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 5:33am
Cockney Rejects, Sham 69 and Angelic Upstarts are bands I was listening to before Bushell decided to invent the Oi moniker and I still maintain that those bands are punk bands. The Oi movement, it's politics and the bands that sprang from it hold no interest to me at all.
Yeah, never considered those bands Oi!, especially the Upstarts.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Gimmix wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 5:33am
I mean if we want to be honest, there’s not a sea of difference between early 77 punk and oi, apart from the obligatory football chants that is.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Sham 69 had their moments, That's Life is a pretty strong album. Aside from that, to be honest I don't listen to much oi! Or even punk in general, there's some good stuff out there with some obvious names but the majority I can take or leave.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 9:13pm
A lot of people increasingly demonize this as neo nazi music but I’ve always just saw it as nice scruffy working class music. Perhaps that’s because I’m from the states and not the UK.
The music as a whole isn't neo nazi bit there certainly are nazi boneheads who play in this style.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 9:08am
Sham 69 had their moments, That's Life is a pretty strong album. Aside from that, to be honest I don't listen to much oi! Or even punk in general, there's some good stuff out there with some obvious names but the majority I can take or leave.
I've always only liked the cream of the punk movement. The ones with the tunes to back up the attitude. And there wasn't that many of them...

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 9:52am
BitterTom wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 9:08am
I've always only liked the cream of the punk movement. The ones with the tunes to back up the attitude. And there wasn't that many of them...
IMO, by 1980 a lot of those would be “tuneful” punk bands were making more post punk or goth type music. But yeah the best bands are always the ones capable of transcending their original style, and writing both harder edged material and softer melodic stuff. Spotify allows me to cherry pick though so I don’t have to sit through 90 songs of three chord filler :approve:

This is my favorite “oi” song btw. I love the gated reverb tom hits during the verse.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm a pretty big oi fan. I even like a lot of the pretty shitty stuff. Obviously I don't listen to any RAC shit, but otherwise I listen to a bunch of stuff in the genre.

Cockney Rejects are probably one of my faves. A bunch of the better bands people seem to try to make the case they aren't "really" oi, but I'd just say that people should admit they like some of the genre's cream of the crop.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 4:53pm
I'm a pretty big oi fan. I even like a lot of the pretty shitty stuff. Obviously I don't listen to any RAC shit, but otherwise I listen to a bunch of stuff in the genre.

Cockney Rejects are probably one of my faves. A bunch of the better bands people seem to try to make the case they aren't "really" oi, but I'd just say that people should admit they like some of the genre's cream of the crop.
I’m probably more of a Business/Cock Sparrer fan, but the Rejects are a hoot.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Not a fan of the Oi music overall, but I still have my vinyl copies of Cockney Rejects Greatest Hits Vol 1 & Vol 2. I really need to get around to ripping them so I can listen to them again. I like some Sham 69 (Borstal Breakout comes to mind), but I've never heard anything by the 4Skins or Cock Sparrer. I may have to Google them to see what they're all about.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Sparky wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 6:38pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Not a fan of the Oi music overall, but I still have my vinyl copies of Cockney Rejects Greatest Hits Vol 1 & Vol 2. I really need to get around to ripping them so I can listen to them again. I like some Sham 69 (Borstal Breakout comes to mind), but I've never heard anything by the 4Skins or Cock Sparrer. I may have to Google them to see what they're all about.
I think you'd really like Cock Sparrer.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 6:46pm
Sparky wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 6:38pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I think you'd really like Cock Sparrer.
I just checked out a few songs by both the 4-Skins & Cock Sparrer and if I were to pick up an album (CD) today, it would be Cock Sparrer over the 4-Skins.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung