The NewsRadio appreciation thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The NewsRadio appreciation thread

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 10:39am
Flex wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 10:36am
JennyB wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 10:23am
I had such a crush on Dave Foley during its airing.
i didn't appreciate on first watch what good straight man he was (to phil hartman particularly, but also joe rogan and andy dick) when I was a kid, but I did a full rewatch in college at one point and really appreciated his work on the show.
After the first season or so, he gave an interview where he said he had proven his critics wrong: He most certainly could act his way out of a paper bag.
Ha!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 6:31am

* The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon excepted, of course.
No matter the year these always seems to be a terrible sitcom on right after the nightly news. About 2-3 years ago it was Big Bang and it has now shifted to the Goldbergs. From what I gather the Goldbergs is a big 80s joke played out as a sitcom. Lots of goofy sweaters and VCR problems.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No matter the year these always seems to be a terrible sitcom on right after the nightly news. About 2-3 years ago it was Big Bang and it has now shifted to the Goldbergs. From what I gather the Goldbergs is a big 80s joke played out as a sitcom. Lots of goofy sweaters and VCR problems.
Those gals, constantly charging up the credit cards, plus why can't they drive a car without hitting something?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's a cute show. It's not groundbreaking, but it has its moments. It's not nearly as bad as BBT and it's more of a joke about his overbearing mother than anything. The only thing that really bugs me about it is that the main kid is supposed to be from Philly, but he is clearly from Chicago.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:21am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's a cute show. It's not groundbreaking, but it has its moments. It's not nearly as bad as BBT and it's more of a joke about his overbearing mother than anything. The only thing that really bugs me about it is that the main kid is supposed to be from Philly, but he is clearly from Chicago.
I don't think there is much that could be more annoying than the Big Bang Theory. They really nailed it by gathering the more insufferable cast. I don't know why Jim Parsons bugs me so much but he does.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:29am
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't think there is much that could be more annoying than the Big Bang Theory. They really nailed it by gathering the more insufferable cast. I don't know why Jim Parsons bugs me so much but he does.
Is it because he often takes a big gasp before saying his lines? That bugs me.

BostonBeaneater

Mimi wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:32am

I think you nailed it. He looks like a frog too.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
i didn't appreciate on first watch what good straight man he was (to phil hartman particularly, but also joe rogan and andy dick) when I was a kid, but I did a full rewatch in college at one point and really appreciated his work on the show.
He is a good straight man, but I think the brilliance is that while he likes to think of himself as the last bastion of normalcy, he's just as crazy as the rest of them.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 12:40pm
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
He is a good straight man, but I think the brilliance is that while he likes to think of himself as the last bastion of normalcy, he's just as crazy as the rest of them.
That he was from Wisconsin via Canada was the perfect shorthand for the conceit of being normal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 12:40pm
yeah, episodes where he goes totally nuts its particularly great
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 12:22pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:32am

I think you nailed it. He looks like a frog too.
I hate to sound shallow but I find it impossible to not lose some respect for a person who says they like BBT.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm chill with the Goldbergs too, and it's good to see George Segal in stuff. I put Just Shoot Me on par with Newsradio.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 5:27pm
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm chill with the Goldbergs too, and it's good to see George Segal in stuff. I put Just Shoot Me on par with Newsradio.
BBE killed George Segal!
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:20am
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

BBE killed George Segal!
He should go back to killing squirrels.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:20am
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

BBE killed George Segal!
I don't care for this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc