What’s the consensus on oi bands here?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What’s the consensus on oi bands here?

Post by Kory »

I've never been able to get into pub rock, though I've tried quite a few times. Am I missing anything?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 2:45pm
I've never been able to get into pub rock, though I've tried quite a few times. Am I missing anything?
Love the energy and guitar work of Dr Feelgood. Wilko was proto-post-punk.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Actually saw Wilko and Norman perform in the basement of a small pub a few years ago and it was fantastic. I still like listening to Feelgood and others, but i think it's big attraction was as a live scene and can maybe feel a bit dated to some ears now.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 3:20pm
Actually saw Wilko and Norman perform in the basement of a small pub a few years ago and it was fantastic. I still like listening to Feelgood and others, but i think it's big attraction was as a live scene and can maybe feel a bit dated to some ears now.
I mean Dr Feelgood was more groove and vibe oriented than songwriting focused which probably lended itself better to a live enviorment. The poster above is right though. Dr Feelgood was Proto post punk. Wilko practically invented the go4 jagged edge guitar style. Life on the Line by Eddie and the Hot Rots is a front to back barnstormer. I spin that record all the time.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Nadir’s big chance also deserves a huge mention. Not sure if it’s really pub rock but probably qualifies as Proto punk.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:08pm
Nadir’s big chance also deserves a huge mention. Not sure if it’s really pub rock but probably qualifies as Proto punk.
Peter Hammill is never pub rock. Great album though. Probably art rock. Listening to the title track always reminds me of the start to Pretty Vacant. Lydon was a big fan of Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:26pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Peter Hammill is never pub rock. Great album though. Probably art rock. Listening to the title track always reminds me of the start to Pretty Vacant. Lydon was a big fan of Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator.
You’re right. I forgot the prog link. Absolutely hate the narrative that punks despised glam and prog rock. Maybe outwardly to the press, in order to seem cool. But I hear A ton of Mott the Hoople and Eno worship on a lot of those records. Especially the Clash actually.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Also the shock value of the whole Peter Gabriel on stage aesthetic

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
You’re right. I forgot the prog link. Absolutely hate the narrative that punks despised glam and prog rock. Maybe outwardly to the press, in order to seem cool. But I hear A ton of Mott the Hoople and Eno worship on a lot of those records. Especially the Clash actually.
Yep there was a ton of naivety regards sounds from the previous generations. When it came to punk there was so much bullshit early on. I hated all that year zero bullshit and stupid talk about hippies and the failed generations. Punk was/is still rock n roll at the end of the day. To me the all important factor was attitude. The music owed such a huge debt to the previous generations. Once bands started to acknowledge their influences was when punk progressed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:38pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Yep there was a ton of naivety regards sounds from the previous generations. When it came to punk there was so much bullshit early on. I hated all that year zero bullshit and stupid talk about hippies and the failed generations. Punk was/is still rock n roll at the end of the day. To me the all important factor was attitude. The music owed such a huge debt to the previous generations. Once bands started to acknowledge their influences was when punk progressed.
If anything, They just streamlined everything. The riffs of the stones without the 12 minute meandering blues jam. The bubblegum hooks of the Beatles without the mellotron interlude, etc...

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

If anything a lot of that early punk music was militantly pop centric in how it favored simple catchy hooks and guitar riffs over wanky fluff. It’s kind of funny how it was considered to be inaccessible in some quarters. Lyrically anti establishment yes, but those first wave punk records are just loaded with hit after hit. I contend that if the Ramones were marketed properly they probably would have ended up as a perennial arena act.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 8:53pm
If anything a lot of that early punk music was militantly pop centric in how it favored simple catchy hooks and guitar riffs over wanky fluff. It’s kind of funny how it was considered to be inaccessible in some quarters. Lyrically anti establishment yes, but those first wave punk records are just loaded with hit after hit. I contend that if the Ramones were marketed properly they probably would have ended up as a perennial arena act.
It's possible of course. They were big bubblegum pop fans and glam fans. The Bay City Rollers were an influence on Ramones as were The Sweet and Slade.

S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y. Night sang the Bay City Rollers. D.U.M.B everyone's accusing me sang Ramones. Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet / Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 9:14pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
It's possible of course. They were big bubblegum pop fans and glam fans. The Bay City Rollers were an influence on Ramones as were The Sweet and Slade.

S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y. Night sang the Bay City Rollers. D.U.M.B everyone's accusing me sang Ramones. Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet / Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones.
N2m huge beach boys influence. Guns on the roof-can’t explain by The Who.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 9:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 9:14pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

N2m huge beach boys influence. Guns on the roof-can’t explain by The Who.
Medicine Cabinet/Clash City Rockers/Guns on the Roof/Contact - Mick has recycled Can't Explain endless times.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Peter and the Test Tube babies are oddly lumped in with Oi but I always considered them to be different.