Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:25pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:18pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:10pm

It seems as though most subgenre names are ultimately pretty lazy catch-alls that are necessary for journalists to have a "scene" to get kids excited about, and for record stores to be able to organize their stock. Just look at shoegaze! I myself just consider post-punk bands to be the ones that you and Doc mention—the ones who realized almost right off the bat that the ramalama style could only go so far, and that the truly punk thing to do is to subvert expectations or follow your own muse. So while Eno's (since you mention him as a gray-area type) sound is VERY obviously an influence on those bands, I wouldn't feel comfortable if somebody said he was post-punk, as it's more of a chronological/antecedent-based designation to me, if that makes sense. Some of the NY bands are a little more gray as well—you might be able to call them post-punk, but they weren't really reacting to/moving on from an established punk movement, they just started with that mindset already, as you noted about Eno.
There's also the suggestion that genres are tools of the record companies (you like this band that sounds like this, then you'll also like that band that also sounds like this). Less cynically, when there is so much music to sift thru, as much as we'd like to get rid of labels, we need them as filters to help us in conversation and to organize how we evaluate things. Labels aren't a bad thing as long as they're a tool used by us, rather than a tool that controls us.
Being only 38, I didn't really notice that kind of promotion until around high school. CDs would come with a sticker saying "For fans of [whatever band]." How did the labels manifest that kind of thing in the 70s and 80s?
Basically record shop sections, but also ads in magazines for new albums. Whether the music biz or Hollywood, the principle of imitation reigns. If you like a movie with Cary Grant, you'll like more movies with Cary Grant. Or, if you like this suspense movie with Cary Grant, you'll like this suspense movie with Jimmy Stewart. It always comes down to marketing and the assumption that we prefer to repeat things we liked before. If we all truly privileged originality, marketers would have no clue how to promote cultural goods. Arguably, we've been trained to want more of the same because that's to the culture industry's health.
Hello,

This concept is a bit cynical. I like ska so I'll seek out more ska. There's an intrinsic component. I understand how some are trained (or conditioned) as you've described - there's a lot of money to be made if you can coerce people to desire and thus purchase your product - but some selections are made consciously and independently. I guess that's why you stated "Arguably".
Certainly there's some independence and bucking of trends and all that. Human beings are messy and don't always work faithfully to the models of marketers or Marxists. Nothing is ever 100%, but there's a lot of money to be made by effectively steering 20% … 25% … 30%? of consumers in predictable ways. If you appreciate that 90% of record releases never make their investment, eliminating risk by molding audiences is absolutely vital. And most cultural critics would argue that the culture industry wants and needs those who buck the trends and seek out difference, because they help identify new trends to exploit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 9:22pm
I've never understood what "net worth" means.
It's what price you pay for a net when you want to go fishing or play badminton. Duh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 9:22pm
I've never understood what "net worth" means.
It means more money than you and I can only dream of. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:25pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:18pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 7:58pm

Yeah I agree with the straight jacket and various corners that punk had forced itself into. Many bands were just content with going 1-2-3-4 blam! But there were always bands that wanted to stretch out musically. Even before the post-punk term was coined there were people who realised that it was an attitude.

Post punk is just another narrow minded term to try to label a sound. When you can't label an attitude as easily. I know you and I have had similar discussions about this over the years.

To me an artist like Eno can have some music that could easily be called post punk but that would simply be lazy with an artist who is unafraid of style/sound and experimentation.
It seems as though most subgenre names are ultimately pretty lazy catch-alls that are necessary for journalists to have a "scene" to get kids excited about, and for record stores to be able to organize their stock. Just look at shoegaze! I myself just consider post-punk bands to be the ones that you and Doc mention—the ones who realized almost right off the bat that the ramalama style could only go so far, and that the truly punk thing to do is to subvert expectations or follow your own muse. So while Eno's (since you mention him as a gray-area type) sound is VERY obviously an influence on those bands, I wouldn't feel comfortable if somebody said he was post-punk, as it's more of a chronological/antecedent-based designation to me, if that makes sense. Some of the NY bands are a little more gray as well—you might be able to call them post-punk, but they weren't really reacting to/moving on from an established punk movement, they just started with that mindset already, as you noted about Eno.
There's also the suggestion that genres are tools of the record companies (you like this band that sounds like this, then you'll also like that band that also sounds like this). Less cynically, when there is so much music to sift thru, as much as we'd like to get rid of labels, we need them as filters to help us in conversation and to organize how we evaluate things. Labels aren't a bad thing as long as they're a tool used by us, rather than a tool that controls us.
Being only 38, I didn't really notice that kind of promotion until around high school. CDs would come with a sticker saying "For fans of [whatever band]." How did the labels manifest that kind of thing in the 70s and 80s?
Basically record shop sections, but also ads in magazines for new albums. Whether the music biz or Hollywood, the principle of imitation reigns. If you like a movie with Cary Grant, you'll like more movies with Cary Grant. Or, if you like this suspense movie with Cary Grant, you'll like this suspense movie with Jimmy Stewart. It always comes down to marketing and the assumption that we prefer to repeat things we liked before. If we all truly privileged originality, marketers would have no clue how to promote cultural goods. Arguably, we've been trained to want more of the same because that's to the culture industry's health.
Cary Grant has a new CD out? God damn it music industry you keep sending me this Ed Sheeran shit!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 6:07am
Cary Grant has a new CD out? God damn it music industry you keep sending me this Ed Sheeran shit!
It's fucking dubstep. Avoid like the plague.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 6:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

J-j-j-j-j-j-udy-jdyJudy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:59am
J-j-j-j-j-j-udy-jdyJudy.
Shit, yeah!!!!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Just popping in here to defend classic dubstep as opposed to the Skrillex shit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
As in Cary Grant classic dubstep? Because that's what we're talking about.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 5:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I think dubstep was a step too far for Cary. Should've stuck to dancehall and ragga.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 5:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I think dubstep was a step too far for Cary. Should've stuck to dancehall and ragga.
Limb by Limb by Northwest
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Limb by Limb by Northwest
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Know your age and quit following trends. Clark Gable never made a disco record.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Does it get more classic?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc