Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:55pm
That's not really what we're doing, tho, is it?
It is! But that's okay, I don't think those guys really care. As I said, it can make my eye twitch too when I hear matt talk about how he doesn't know what any classic punk album covers look like and stuff.

I guess I hadn't really thought specifically about what it takes to call yourself a fan of a band. maybe I'm being too simple, but If someone likes a band's music a lot, I think they can justifiably call themselves big fans. I'm not sure what other extracurricular material is required, per se.
I'd say your barrier for fandom is a lot lower than mine. To me, it's more than enjoying a song or several songs, but seeking contextual knowledge about those songs. That's the extra step for fandom—that it's more than just music. The amount of knowledge and critical attitudes is where you get to all those levels of True Fandom™ and pecking orders. I like, say, a number of Depeche Mode songs, but I don't know much about the history of the band, so I wouldn't call myself a fan. Jen is a DM fan because she does have that knowledge and values it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Destroy Fandom Heirarchy! All power to the poseurs!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:27pm
Destroy Fandom Heirarchy! All power to the poseurs!
Certainly would’ve made the first few years of punk (the “fake it til you make it” years) easier.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:22pm
Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:55pm
That's not really what we're doing, tho, is it?
It is! But that's okay, I don't think those guys really care. As I said, it can make my eye twitch too when I hear matt talk about how he doesn't know what any classic punk album covers look like and stuff.

I guess I hadn't really thought specifically about what it takes to call yourself a fan of a band. maybe I'm being too simple, but If someone likes a band's music a lot, I think they can justifiably call themselves big fans. I'm not sure what other extracurricular material is required, per se.
I'd say your barrier for fandom is a lot lower than mine. To me, it's more than enjoying a song or several songs, but seeking contextual knowledge about those songs. That's the extra step for fandom—that it's more than just music. The amount of knowledge and critical attitudes is where you get to all those levels of True Fandom™ and pecking orders. I like, say, a number of Depeche Mode songs, but I don't know much about the history of the band, so I wouldn't call myself a fan. Jen is a DM fan because she does have that knowledge and values it.
So, to be clear, in my personal predilections I'm more inclined to your position: when a band really excites me I deep dive and so forth. But I don't think that's the only way to be, and I think the proof is sort of in the pudding: matt co-founded almost inarguably the best thing to happen to punk culture in like the last 2 decades and he did with a passion that is broad but shallow. How does that not count as fandom?

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I think there’s a definitely a clear divide between anorak obsessive as and people who just really like things and enjoy experiencing them and poplar English language gives us a single word for both, so the argument over this is probably not resolvable.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:31pm
So, to be clear, in my personal predilections I'm more inclined to your position: when a band really excites me I deep dive and so forth. But I don't think that's the only way to be, and I think the proof is sort of in the pudding: matt co-founded almost inarguably the best thing to happen to punk culture in like the last 2 decades and he did with a passion that is broad but shallow. How does that not count as fandom?
But the pieces that run in THT, when they reference specific artists, *do* show that contextual knowledge, and that knowledge is required for the humour to work. I've come across articles where I know zilch about the band being poked at and the joke goes over my head. Likewise, when pieces mock idiosyncrasies of genres or of musicians, that requires specific knowledge. If the contributors were fundamentally ignorant about the artists or genres they write about, it wouldn't work at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:43pm
I think there’s a definitely a clear divide between anorak obsessive as and people who just really like things and enjoy experiencing them and poplar English language gives us a single word for both, so the argument over this is probably not resolvable.
If so, it's because the concept of fan has been sapped of its significance. Kind of like the entertainment media regularly refers to actors not as actors but as stars. Everyone is a star! It's an inflation that impoverishes language.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:45pm
But the pieces that run in THT, when they reference specific artists, *do* show that contextual knowledge, and that knowledge is required for the humour to work. I've come across articles where I know zilch about the band being poked at and the joke goes over my head. Likewise, when pieces mock idiosyncrasies of genres or of musicians, that requires specific knowledge. If the contributors were fundamentally ignorant about the artists or genres they write about, it wouldn't work at all.
I'd say matt, like everyone, is more selectively ignorant. He has lots of keen and funny observations about scene culture (and straight edge, particularly, since he's straight edge himself) and music trends and so forth. Again, it just seems funny to me that we're saying he can't call himself a fan of a band because he doesn't know a few specific bits of trivia. I feel like I'm 15 years old again and bagging on some of my friends for not knowing op ivy was tim armstrong's old band (high and mighty guy that I was for learning this fact like 3 months earlier).

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:45pm
I'd say matt, like everyone, is more selectively ignorant. He has lots of keen and funny observations about scene culture (and straight edge, particularly, since he's straight edge himself) and music trends and so forth. Again, it just seems funny to me that we're saying he can't call himself a fan of a band because he doesn't know a few specific bits of trivia. I feel like I'm 15 years old again and bagging on some of my friends for not knowing op ivy was tim armstrong's old band (high and mighty guy that I was for learning this fact like 3 months earlier).
I'd be completely with you except the actual example at work here is a seriously low level of knowledge. It ain't knowing who was the drummer before Peligro or the second guitarist they had at the start. If you know Jello was in the DKs, it ain't some True Fan victory to also know the other guys. That's why I don't think we're being smug dicks or anything here. I won't dump on someone who doesn't know that the Beatles once included Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best, but if you don't know George Harrison was in the band, I don't think you have any claim to calling yourself a Beatles fan. That's low-level stuff to me, and if you can't pass it, nope.

edit: Apologies if I seem aggressive in any way, but the nature of fandom is a big component in my popular music-related teaching. So this kind of discussion lights up key parts of my brain.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 28 Mar 2021, 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex

Post by Flex »

East Bay Ray isn't a household name with a substantial career outside DK tho, and outside the lawsuit he has no meaningful public footprint. I don't think it's at all weird to not know his name if your exposure to the band has mostly come in the form of mp3 listening. Jello has multiple bands, a successful spoken word solo act under his own name, and runs one the most important record labels in the scene. The chances of you hearing his name and learning who he is are an order of magnitude higher than a punk guitarist who most people who follow these things agree was just a hired gun for Jello's creativity. East Bay Ray just isn't a household name comparatively (he really is more like knowing stu sutcliffe than george harrison in the public imagination, I think).

Again, it's not really how I follow music I really like, but I just think you can be a fan of the dead kennedys music if you really like listening to it, is still my basic point. And probably the end of me having anything worthwhile to say on the topic.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 2:29pm
East Bay Ray isn't a household name with a substantial career outside DK tho, and outside the lawsuit he has no meaningful public footprint. I don't think it's at all weird to not know his name if your exposure to the band has mostly come in the form of mp3 listening. Jello has multiple bands, a successful spoken word solo act under his own name, and runs one the most important record labels in the scene. The chances of you hearing his name and learning who he is are an order of magnitude higher than a punk guitarist who most people who follow these things agree was just a hired gun for Jello's creativity. East Bay Ray just isn't a household name comparatively (he really is more like knowing stu sutcliffe than george harrison in the public imagination, I think).

Again, it's not really how I follow music I really like, but I just think you can be a fan of the dead kennedys music if you really like listening to it, is still my basic point. And probably the end of me having anything worthwhile to say on the topic.
Okay, cool (and see my edit above re. the discussion). Tho I still come back to it being a matter of calling yourself a fan. I don't expect the general public to know who Ray is (or Jello, for that matter). But if you say you're a DK fan, you're asserting something more exclusive than the general public.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Wait, you're calling the soundtrack to Sharknado 3 "not substantial?"
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 2:12pm

edit: Apologies if I seem aggressive in any way, but the nature of fandom is a big component in my popular music-related teaching. So this kind of discussion lights up key parts of my brain.
Yeah, no worries man. I don't feel even slightly aggressed against. I in turn just don't wanna come off as too snide or dismissive, so wanted to put on an exit ramp before things get too circular for my part.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 2:38pm
Now that's True Fan-level knowledge!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Olaf wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 2:38pm
You're right, my bad. Critical work from EBR