A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:59pm
BitterTom wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:53pm
We missing any reviews for Doc's? If not I may post my 5 tonight, Alex is showing signs she may go into labour soon, so will get them up asap. If there's reviews left and I'm not on tomorrow, gkbill is next in line and I'll skip my go.
Only Hoy and Kory from the usual suspects, I think. Don't wait for people, tho. Keep shit moving.

And, duh, early congrats and best wishes to you and the missuz. Iemceetee is a nice name for a child …
Hello,

Agreed. If someone doesn't have the time to post reviews or they're delayed due to something or other, no worries! Just keep posting.

Best wishes, Tom, Alex, and the newest board member by association!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Good luck Tom.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

All the best Tom and family.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Godspeed tom & family!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Thanks all! :mrgreen:

Here's my 5, you'll be happy to know Shitallica don't feature this week, but have a go with these bangers,

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts. The band suggested to me after I listened to revbob's 5 on Deezer. I've mentioned it before but they have an interesting IMCT connection, Suzanne's (though I was on the site after her) boyfriend at the time was the bassist. Anyway, this song is fantastic and can imagine it'd be amazing live. Great energy.

Around Us - Jonsi. Stunningly beautiful song, the build ups throughout the track are perfect, leading to the final epic chorus. The atmospheric last couple of minutes are spot on too.

You're Not Alone - The Enemy. A band that came and went over here. First album (which this is taken from) had some great tracks though their output after failed to hit the same spots. This song is the bollocks though, great energy, uplifting and decent lyrics. Always liked the line, "there's just too many dreams in this wasteland for you to leave us all behind."

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby. Onto something lighter, this is classic Formby - good, fun melody, cheeky innuendo filled lyrics and a great banjolele solo at the end. He made the playing look easy but his strumming and rhythm was insanely precise. Been playing myself for over 10 years and don't come anywhere near his standards.

Out Of Nothing - Embrace. Ok, so no Shitallica but Embrace are back. An emotional roller coaster of a song. Starts soft and delicate with some beautiful keys twinkling away. Explodes with some of McNamara's finest, heartfelt vocals and the chaotic musical finale is sublime. Listen loud.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Getting my assignment in early this week...

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts
I think you were suggested this because of the Gogol Bordello song I had in my 5. Some definite similarities. I LOVE the fiddle in this, its such a fantastic instrument to convey emotion. They would no doubt be a fun live act there seems to be a tremendous amount of energy there, I will need to try some more. The vox and lyrics are the weak point for me, but I enjoyed it. This is your winner Tom. 7/10

Around Us - Jonsi - Surprise not my thing. Not doing anything for me and seriously why 2 solid minutes of faux ethereal filler at the end, it would have been better as just a crappy 3 min song. 0/10

You're Not Alone - The Enemy
It started off pretty good and thoight we had some potential but it seemed stuck in 1st or 2nd gear and I feel like I didn't go anywhere. They seemed to be holding back. 4.5/10

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby
Does Heston know you lile something pre-1964? Im not sure what to make of this. Pass.

Out Of Nothing - Embrace
Not my thing has a Coldply kind of vibe. I like plenty of slow, mellow contemplative songs but this isnt one of them. Im going to just say 0/10 and call it a day.

Could have used some old Metallica.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Maybe just me but videos 1, 4 and 5 show as not available.

I'm a little disappointed 3 is available because it hurts my eyes to look at The Enemy.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Olaf wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 11:44am
Olaf wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 7:53pm
oliver wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 1:51pm
Olaf wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 1:41pm
I guess I will have to go back a few pages to find out what all this Wiggy giggy-ing is about. Seems I completely missed that.
Page 84. You're in for a treat.
It really was a treat. Probably my favourite of the bunch, and they were all pretty good.
I'm gonna check out their album "This Is Eggland" next.
That is my favourite but all their albums have lots of good things going for them. They remind me a lot of Sparks in places (both 70s glam Sparks and 'Lil Beethoven' Sparks.)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I can only view the Jonsi and the Enemy videos.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 9:56pm
Hello,

You gotta go the extra mile and search them up on YouTube

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 10:01pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Understood. I'm guilty of being lazy. I'll get on it in a day or two as I imagine Tom has some other things to attend to these days.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 10:03pm
revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 10:01pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Understood. I'm guilty of being lazy. I'll get on it in a day or two as I imagine Tom has some other things to attend to these days.
I was gonna post US friendly links but I too was feeling lazy and uninspired.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

All the best, Tom, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well!

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts.
Great soundtrack for a booze-up I guess. Not sure about the lyrics, probably would like it better as an instrumental track.

Around Us - Jonsi.
Don't mind the music, but I can't get past his voice.

You're Not Alone - The Enemy.
Quite liked that. Very Britpop-ish, but with a punky edge. Might seek out the album. I agree with oliver though, didn't need to see the video.

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby.
Well I did enjoy the banjo solo. Apart from that, I guess you have to be a native of Engerlund to appreciate this.

Out Of Nothing - Embrace.
Tried listening really loud, but still not my cuppa tea.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I don't think I ever knew the IMCT connection with this band (or, I forgot it). I think revbob recommended these guys to me? Or something? Definitely been on my radar but for the life of me I can't recall this song or the band particularly, although I love this kinda shit. I dunno if I'd want to do 70 minutes of this but very much in the vein of other bands I like that do sort of punk/un-punk music fusion. The music video is also all quite amusingly awkward. Very, very Gogol Borello-esque. 8/10

Around Us - Jonsi.
First thought: oh god, I hate this singing. Second thought: oh god, I hate how these drums sound. Third thought: four more fucking minutes of this? I checked out at 1:53. I'm looking it up and I see this guy is the singer of Sigur Ros, which explains why this is some of the worst music I've heard since I tried to force myself to listen to Pitchfork best new music recommendations for like a year in the late aughts. Sorry, man. 0/10

You're Not Alone - The Enemy.
Sorry to bag on the last song again, but I think I'd find this adequate in any other circumstance but it sounds like the breath of rock and roll life after that last fucking horrible track. As a palate cleanser this is like a 9/10 - I like the little sneer the singer affects at times - but it kinda stays stuck in 3rd gear a little too long so now that my blood is settled back down I'm giving this a 5/10.

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby. LMAO I can only give shit like this high marks. I love ridiculous old corny shit. This is like a mix of old folk tunes and some tin pan alley bravado. The mugging for the camera on the video I watched was great. 8/10

Out Of Nothing - Embrace. I feel so bad for despising this so much because I know you love these guys, but this represents probably everything I find completely dire in contemporary rock. Just bland, formless bullshit. 0/10

We've explored some highs and lows together, Tom. Top marks for putting it all out there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 4:34pm
I don't think I ever knew the IMCT connection with this band (or, I forgot it).
As soon as I saw Dreadnoughts I thought, "Oh Suzanne's ex's band."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.