The Dropkick Murphy’s are pretty shit. Punk Rock for cops. Lol

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:05am
Ive got mixed feelings about them, they did some good music with the original singer and now they are a bit of a minstrel show.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 7:20am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Ive got mixed feelings about them, they did some good music with the original singer and now they are a bit of a minstrel show.
Do or Die is a great album I will concede. The got progressively more into the Irish cliche with each album. Idk a big part of it is their fan base tbh. I’ve gone to see other bands play with them (rancid and the boss tones specifically) and their fan base is definitely has a meathead/racist/non punk element to it if that makes any sense. The kind of guys who listen to Godsmack watch UFC and sport tribal tattoos all over their body because they think it makes them look “edgy”. Idk perhaps it’s just because I’m from the Boston area but there’s a lot of people who fit this trope.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:49am
revbob wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Do or Die is a great album I will concede. The got progressively more into the Irish cliche with each album. Idk a big part of it is their fan base tbh. I’ve gone to see other bands play with them (rancid and the boss tones specifically) and their fan base is definitely has a meathead/racist/non punk element to it if that makes any sense. The kind of guys who listen to Godsmack watch UFC and sport tribal tattoos all over their body because they think it makes them look “edgy”. Idk perhaps it’s just because I’m from the Boston area but there’s a lot of people who fit this trope.
A lot of people who fit that trope in Milwaukee, too.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
revbob wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Do or Die was the beginning of the end for me.
And yeah so there's definitely a strong undercurrent of conservatism in the Irish-American subculture which also has a lot of ties to law enforcement. Hell one branch of my family has a bunch of cops in it.

I will say that when I tried to organize a show with them in 1999 they included in their contract rider a statement that the promoter/venue not admit anyone who was outwardly displaying racist attitudes/beliefs. And when they did do a show with a local club (that offered more money on a different day) they did have some people removed who were in some way being outwardly racist according to a friend who was at the show.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

It's funny cuz during the mike mccolgan era they were a pretty explicitly conservative, borderline fence-sitting skinhead street punk band (listen to the song "front seat" for example or "eurotrash"). They mellowed out into basically mainline liberals (as has mike, I actually do online meditating with him now) and got explicitly anti-racist and are probably one of the most mainstream pro-union voices in american culture, frankly. But yeah, they've also always been cop apologists (listen to their pro-cop song John Law - in fairness I believe also from the mike mccolgan era but they've kept playing it live as recently as a few years ago). It's funny that the reactionary street punk era is what people most fondly remember, tho. As Ive said a bunch of times, they really just wanna be irish-inflected bruce springsteen (or maybe steve miller band, lol) but they don't really have the chops for it. I think they still usually put on a good show though.

The fanbase is definitely pretty fratty sometimes - I think the crowd mix depends a lot on the venue and part of the country. I've seen em in colorado a few times and it was much more of a punk and/or normie mix, especially when it was at the smaller venues, bro-ier when they were touring big venues, and WAY frattier/bro-ier (pennywise esque, really) when I've seen them back east
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 10:07am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
revbob wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Do or Die was the beginning of the end for me.
And yeah so there's definitely a strong undercurrent of conservatism in the Irish-American subculture which also has a lot of ties to law enforcement. Hell one branch of my family has a bunch of cops in it.

I will say that when I tried to organize a show with them in 1999 they included in their contract rider a statement that the promoter/venue not admit anyone who was outwardly displaying racist attitudes/beliefs. And when they did do a show with a local club (that offered more money on a different day) they did have some people removed who were in some way being outwardly racist according to a friend who was at the show.
Yeah the guys in the band are pretty cool by all accounts. I don’t doubt that they’re vehemently against racism. There’s a certain element in their fan base though that is pretty suspect. I think also their association with sports teams in Boston via tessie and the Red Sox garnered them a pretty frat boy centric audience. I’m not trying to be a gatekeeper here but I hate going to shows with those macho meathead types. Same reason I never got into NYC hardcore that much. Some of the bands are really fucking good. But a large part of that scene is roided up guys sporting wifebeaters and arm sleeve tattoos acting all tuff n shit. The music comes secondary to “the scene the culture bro”.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Tangential thought: bro-iest punk show I've ever been to, bar none, was when I saw Bad Religion, Pennywise and The Offspring (with Stiff Little Fingers opening, quite a matchup) in 2014. Place was nearly fucking deserted for SLF, by far the best band of the show. I can't for sure remember what order of the three pennywise, bad religion and the offspring went. I think the show order was SLF, Pennywise, Bad Religion, The Offspring (headlining and doing that "play the album Smash in its entirety" thing, that was the hook for me to stick around for their set). It was just a sea of frat dudes once the audience started filling in post-SLF

Addendum: Second place was probably the Dropkick Murphys playing in Boston during one of their St. Patricks Day residencies (if i recall, it was post-st patricks day and one of the last shows of the residency), with Slapshot and The Bruisers opening. It was at the Agganis Arena - a very bad venue for a concert - but I actually flew out for it cuz i wanted to see slapshot and the bruisers plus dkm in full st. patricks energy. It was a fun show, and there was a good old school contingent in the crowd for the bruisers and slapshot, but the rest of the place was basically filled with college students and aged-out-of-college bros. Whatever, it was a blast. I went to the aftershow too (with Boddington, who posts here) and it was the murphys hosting some pro boxing and playing an acoustic set in between matches. Fun stuff.

Addendum II: If I was on the floor of that DKM show I might rank it my bro-iest, but I was seated on the side of the arena with a bunch of other old fucks who didn't feel like being suffocated by the crowds all night, so the mix was probably more punk-and-normie around me as a result there. I was in the pit for that BR/Pennywise/Offspring show so I could feel all the bros around me there.

Addendum III: Oh god, looking back at my setlist.fm history and I'd forgotten I saw Sublime (with Rome) headline a Reggae on the Rocks festival at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. THAT crowd was a complete fucking stoned-white-bro nightmare. Unbearable. One of the only times I considered leaving a concert early because of crowd composition. Bosstones and Fishbone played that night and put on killer sets, tho.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 11:08am
Tangential thought: bro-iest punk show I've ever been to, bar none, was when I saw Bad Religion, Pennywise and The Offspring (with Stiff Little Fingers opening, quite a matchup) in 2014. Place was nearly fucking deserted for SLF, by far the best band of the show. I can't for sure remember what order of the three pennywise, bad religion and the offspring went. I think the show order was SLF, Pennywise, Bad Religion, The Offspring (headlining and doing that "play the album Smash in its entirety" thing, that was the hook for me to stick around for their set). It was just a sea of frat dudes once the audience started filling in post-SLF
I went to this show when it came to town but we were short changed, no SLF (but thankfully no Pennywise) some other bands were slotted in, The Vandals I think. Bad Religion was great but it was obvious most were there to see the Offspring. I went with some friends so I stuck around while Offspring played. I maybe recognized one song of theirs but clearly that was the main draw for a lot of people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Reason #451177545559612 chart position and sales ≠ quality. At all.
https://www.cbc.ca/music/justin-bieber- ... -1.5969981
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:52am
Reason #451177545559612 chart position and sales ≠ quality. At all.
https://www.cbc.ca/music/justin-bieber- ... -1.5969981
Clearly the more talented of the two, the charts dont lie.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:

Addendum: Second place was probably the Dropkick Murphys playing in Boston during one of their St. Patricks Day residencies (if i recall, it was post-st patricks day and one of the last shows of the residency), with Slapshot and The Bruisers opening. It was at the Agganis Arena - a very bad venue for a concert - but I actually flew out for it cuz i wanted to see slapshot and the bruisers plus dkm in full st. patricks energy. It was a fun show, and there was a good old school contingent in the crowd for the bruisers and slapshot, but the rest of the place was basically filled with college students and aged-out-of-college bros. Whatever, it was a blast. I went to the aftershow too (with Boddington, who posts here) and it was the murphys hosting some pro boxing and playing an acoustic set in between matches. Fun stuff.

Addendum II: If I was on the floor of that DKM show I might rank it my bro-iest, but I was seated on the side of the arena with a bunch of other old fucks who didn't feel like being suffocated by the crowds all night, so the mix was probably more punk-and-normie around me as a result there. I was in the pit for that BR/Pennywise/Offspring show so I could feel all the bros around me there.
Ha, I saw Pennywise and Offspring play a fest in 2001. I have somehow seen Pennywise twice in my life eventhough I really don't like them.

I thought I saw Dropkick Murphys, but turns out it was Flogging Molly. I can't tell the difference. I was pretty close on the floor on that one and as soon as they started, I immediately had to get out. That was a rough show.
Flex wrote:
Addendum III: Oh god, looking back at my setlist.fm history and I'd forgotten I saw Sublime (with Rome) headline a Reggae on the Rocks festival at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. THAT crowd was a complete fucking stoned-white-bro nightmare. Unbearable. One of the only times I considered leaving a concert early because of crowd composition. Bosstones and Fishbone played that night and put on killer sets, tho.
I get you were there for Fishbone and Bosstones but..what were you expecting?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 9:27am
I get you were there for Fishbone and Bosstones but..what were you expecting?
Probably not much else, honestly.

Pex Lives!

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

I saw Phish once. That crowd was surprisingly bro-ish not gonna lie.