A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Dreadnoughts - I guess this is kind of a good take on a polka song. It's no Schmenge Brothers, though.

Jonsi - I almost made it through this one.

The Enemy - decent track; I don't get the same sense of energy from this as you do but it does perk along -it might have been better without the heavy dose of strings. 6/10

George Formby - I'm sorry, I'm not sure to say about this one.

Embrace - I'm not much for ballads. Once the guitars kick in, they should let the ballad-y stuff go. The second time the guitars ring in, there's a nice bit of chaos/distortion - more of that, please. 4/10

Thanks for posting at such a stressful time, Tom. I don't really care for much here - and you may not care for much of mine. The beauty of this all is how we cohabitate here and get along.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 6:36pm
Hello,
Thanks for posting at such a stressful time, Tom. I don't really care for much here - and you may not care for much of mine. The beauty of this all is how we cohabitate here and get along.
When did the rules change and why wasn't I consulted?

But seriously thanks Tom, just saw you had another kid, great news, congratulations.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dreadnoughts
Don't know why I wasn't expecting polka with a title like 'Polka Never Dies' but there you go. I find stuff like this a little overwhelming to listen to as a piece of music but would probably enjoy it live as long as I'm nowhere near the one setting his leg on fire.

Jonsi
This doesn't do a whole lot for me. My brain somehow interprets this as a mash-up where someone has put the wrong vocals to a piece of music. Maybe I just need a remix but it all kind of washes over me.

The Enemy
I have a real hard time with The Enemy because:
a) Their faces. I don't know what it is but they just have those faces that no-one could ever tire of punching. All 3 of them.
b) The other songs I've heard by them are such obvious rip-offs of others that I just spend my time focusing on what they've ripped off this time. The really annoying thing is when they rip-off bands I have no time for - it's like a double-whammy.
I tried going in with an open-mind and this one is alright. Musically, it doesn't really elevate anywhere above mid-level indie landfill and lyrically I like the sentiment but the execution is a little heavy-handed.

George Formby
My grandfather loved George Formby so I heard a ton of his songs growing up and they never disappoint. I'd say this one is just a step below my absolute favourites (Why Don't Women Like Me; Me Little Stick of Blackpool Rock; Our Sergeant Major; When I'm Cleaning Windows) but still a goodie.

Embrace
I like the louder bits, not so fond of the slower sparser bits. Kind of liked the dancing bear part of the lyric but there's nothing that really makes me want to go back. I find them a little formulaic in general.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts
Officially not the kind of thing I listen to … but also officially the kind of thing I smile and eat up when I hear it. It has a lovely controlled chaos to it, that’s equal parts merriment and lay waste to the land.

Around Us - Jonsi
And on this song, Tom and I find each other. Of course, I dig a lot of Sigur Ros—some stuff does zilch for me, but the songs I like I love—so I was predisposed to like this. I can understand people not getting past the voice, but it’s never been a problem for me. Wonderfully uplifting weirdo pop.

You're Not Alone - The Enemy
I’m hit and miss on this type of arena indie rock. It all seems build-up without sufficient payoff. Can’t inspire without a payoff, boys.

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby
Silly and slight and nothing wrong with that. It all sounds impossibly antediluvian, but it brought a smile to my usually grouchy face.

Out Of Nothing - Embrace
Well, we’ll always have Jonsi. This … this was awful in a way that abandoned pets and toothaches and nuclear apocalypse are awful.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm taking these to the lab tonight but I fear for the future of Hestom.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 3:00pm
You'll hate it but for reasons different that you hate stuff I post. You're like revbob's sinister twin.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Heston is taking his Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt to the lab. Surely a white coat will do. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 3:16pm
Heston wrote:
Heston is taking his Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt to the lab. Surely a white coat will do. ;)
Hello,

Heston is avoiding white coat syndrome.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts.
I thankfully like this a lot more than Gogol Bordello. It's fairly decent but the melody reminds me a bit too much of "Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris. Instrumentally, it has a similar vibe to Irish/Middle Eastern thing that The Pogues had going on after Shane left, which is good. 6/10

Around Us - Jonsi.
Vocalist sounds like a pound shop Jimmy Somerville and it all sounds a bit muddled. The melody starts off okay but it all becomes a bit confusing for me. It should have rocked out a bit more rather than dropping into ambient textures. Also had a totally superfluous outro which I'm sure was one of Doc's picks from the last round tacked on to the end. 4/10

You're Not Alone - The Enemy.
I've got mates who swear by this band but I never quite got it. They do have a few really good songs but lack that bit of magic to elevate them to anything beyond top end Indie landfill. 6/10

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby.
I do love a sturdy English smile. Hard to dislike George and I already knew this one. The music may seem quaint now but George was an important cog in the lineage of British music. 7/10

Out Of Nothing - Embrace.
I simply hate this band. Po-faced self importance drenched in this sombre, boring music which never really leads anywhere. All steeped in this antiseptic wash of 21st century sterile production. Now, onto the song. It doesn't make me dance, it doesn't make me think, it doesn't make me cry. Limped out as it limped in. 2/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 4:24pm
Also had a totally superfluous outro which I'm sure was one of Doc's picks from the last round tacked on to the end. 4/10
Genuine bellylaugh!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
I thankfully like this a lot more than Gogol Bordello. It's fairly decent but the melody reminds me a bit too much of "Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris. Instrumentally, it has a similar vibe to Irish/Middle Eastern thing that The Pogues had going on after Shane left, which is good. 6/10

Around Us - Jonsi.
Vocalist sounds like a pound shop Jimmy Somerville and it all sounds a bit muddled. The melody starts off okay but it all becomes a bit confusing for me. It should have rocked out a bit more rather than dropping into ambient textures. Also had a totally superfluous outro which I'm sure was one of Doc's picks from the last round tacked on to the end. 4/10

I've got mates who swear by this band but I never quite got it. They do have a few really good songs but lack that bit of magic to elevate them to anything beyond top end Indie landfill. 6/10

I do love a sturdy English smile. Hard to dislike George and I already knew this one. The music may seem quaint now but George was an important cog in the lineage of British music. 7/10

I simply hate this band. Po-faced self importance drenched in this sombre, boring music which never really leads anywhere. All steeped in this antiseptic wash of 21st century sterile production. Now, onto the song. It doesn't make me dance, it doesn't make me think, it doesn't make me cry. Limped out as it limped in. 2/10
Interesting, the pre-1964 song gets the highest rating.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:10pm
Heston wrote:

Around Us - Jonsi.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:20pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Around Us - Jonsi.

Not a bad comeback considering it's half two in the morning.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:27pm
Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 8:20pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Around Us - Jonsi.

Not a bad comeback considering it's half two in the morning.
Only half one here in "clap on the right beat" land. I must admit I've had a couple of glasses of wine but I'm on a short week at work.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Well I remember Suzanne and this band. Wasn't her boyfriend at the time the bass player? Anyway it's ok it doesn't grab me as much as I want it to. The melody is very familiar. 5/10

Around Us - Jonsi.
It's ok there's just too much of this stuff available now. I like the build up in the track and her vocals are fine. But it's not very memorable and I wouldn't play it again. 4/10

You're Not Alone - The Enemy
I saw these guys just before the release of their debut and they were solid. I like this track not my fave on the album but still decent. 8/10

Total genius and always a joy. 9/10

They started out the best band at doing this stuff. "Fireworks" is my fave and "Your Weakness" is great but they went off the boil for me. 6/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia