Plenty of Beatles, Creedence Clearwater, Slickers in 1985 - Surprise busking tape emerges

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Plenty of Beatles, Creedence Clearwater, Slickers in 1985 - Surprise busking tape emerges

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 4:42pm
Just read the story on BMC, amazing. The Twist and Shout/La Bamba at the end is so fun.
Probably worth putting it here. Thanks to all involved for getting this out there.
The Clash hits Hendon, Sunderland, Sunday May 12th 1985.

It was around 2pm, Sunday, May 12th 1985. The Salem Hotel was approaching last orders at the bar and a group of Labour Party activities were thinking about getting a final beer before going home.

We were members of Hendon Ward labour party and we had been leafleting that morning to thank local residents for voting Labour in the recent local elections, electing a Labour Councillor and removing the Tory incumbent.

Leafleting usual ended up in the Salem Hotel where we put the world to right and discussed what we need to do to remove Thatcher, the wicked witch of the south.

Last orders were called and then a group of young men entered the bar. I turned to my great friend, Bryn Sidaway, and said ‘my god its Joe Strummer and the Clash’. The Clash was my band then and still is – couldn’t believe it. We found out that they had a relation in Hendon and they had stayed with him overnight. Bryn (a local Councillor), not shy from stepping forward, went over to them, introduced himself, told them they had one of their biggest fans in the corner and would they like to join us – and they did. We were regulars at the Salem and were good friends with the landlady, she agreed to open the bar again and we had a great afternoon swigging ale, discussing politics, the need for change, political activism and music.

Joe Strummer had bright red hair and throughout the afternoon another great friend, Geoff Dodds, referred to him as carrot top. He didn’t seem to take offence, particularly as the beer flowed.

At about 3.30 The Salem was keen to close and for us to move on. It was a Sunday afternoon tradition that some of us took turns to cook Sunday dinner for part of the group. That Sunday afternoon it was Geoff Dodds turn and it was lucky he lived in Upper Flat, 13 Salem Street, which was across the road from the Salem. The roast beef and roast potatoes were already cooking. They were invited and they agreed to join us. The afternoon increasingly took on a party atmosphere and the merrier we got. We shared Sunday Roast beef and roast potato sandwiches and, in return, they offered to play us some of their songs with the basic musical instruments they had. These were supplemented by a Geoff’s bongo drum and guitar with only 5 strings. They tuned it and used it. I made a particular request for them to play Armageddon Time. They kicked of their set with ‘Trailers for sale or rent’.

Fortunately, Geoff’s son, Steven, had the sense to press the record button on his cassette player so we have this recording. This is Steven’s recollection of the event:

“For me that afternoon changed everything about my music and has probably influenced everything I’ve ever liked since. Started my love of live music - the only thing I’ve missed during lockdowns. I have a vague memory of my dad offering Carrot Top a bottle of whiskey if he could get a tune out of the guitar and I’m sure his Bongo drums were out too. I can’t really remember much else except how buzzing everyone was and singing along encouraged by Carrot Top. Probably the only time I heard my dad singing (apart from at football) and he used to be a decent folk singer from what Linda tells me. The bar I’ve built is a tribute to the Clash and called it Rock the Clashbar.

This was the day before my Dads 40th and a week or two before the planned visit of Prince Charles and Lady Diana to a local Housing Co-op. I remember my dad telling Joe about his Republican protest plans and Joe Strummer offering to get hundreds of punks to come and join us.”

Word had got around the local neighbourhood that the Clash had been in the Salem and then moved to Geoff’s, and a number of children gathered outside and danced throughout their performance.

At 6ish they said they had to move on – they were going to Edinburgh that evening. You can hear on the CD how we tried to persuade them to stay but to no avail. They were gone.

Kevin Marquis, on behalf of all those present:

Clive Davis
Geoff and Steve Dodds,
Bryn and Kath Sidaway
Susan Stanton
Paul Whiston
Hendon kids

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Plenty of Beatles, Creedence Clearwater, Slickers in 1985 - Surprise busking tape emerges

Post by Low Down Low »

This is great. Many thanks to Graham for sharing. Always been a huge fan of the busking tour, one of Bernies ideas that actually didn't stink.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm laughing at them doing this heartfelt version of North and South, then at the end someone says "the beef sandwiches are about to be served." Priceless.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

That is the coolest story ever shared!
Big Thanks go out to everyone involved that made this show possible!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Thanks, Graham! Going to have to give this a listen tonight.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Will give it a listen today. Thanks for posting!
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Wow, this is great! Thanks for sharing. Needs a good remaster! Marky!
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Can someone explain to me UK culture. What's up with bars closing at 2pm on Sundays? When do they open if they close that early.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Blackmarketclash
Dirty Punk

Post by Blackmarketclash »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 10:48am
Can someone explain to me UK culture. What's up with bars closing at 2pm on Sundays? When do they open if they close that early.
They don't now but back then we had historic laws for Sundays and drinking in general. Sundays were special days. Trade Unions stopped Sunday trading and faith fraternity limited booze. They re-opened at 7pm and shut at 10.30pm.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Blackmarketclash wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 10:54am
matedog wrote:
They don't now but back then we had historic laws for Sundays and drinking in general. Sundays were special days. Trade Unions stopped Sunday trading and faith fraternity limited booze. They re-opened at 7pm and shut at 10.30pm.
Not only that Graham. They were only open from 11:am until 3pm then 5:30pm until 10:30pm every other day of the week. Resulting in people trying to cram in as much boozing as they could before the 3pm deadline,staggering home for an hours sleep then turning back out out again.
The amount if times ive woken up on a Saturday teatime at 6pm and gotten ready for work thinking it was a weekday morning. Then the relief as it dawns on you that it's time to turn out again. :mrgreen:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The culture shock i experienced when first moving to the uk was how strictly the closing hours were observed. I'd been used to a culture where you could turn up just before closing time and drink half the might, now as soon as that fucking bell went - elevator going out! - you knew you'd be on your way pretty sharpish. I remember becoming a member of a nearby rugby club because its bar stayed open all day on Sundays.

Blackmarketclash
Dirty Punk

Post by Blackmarketclash »

Low Down Low wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 11:36am
The culture shock i experienced when first moving to the uk was how strictly the closing hours were observed. I'd been used to a culture where you could turn up just before closing time and drink half the might, now as soon as that fucking bell went - elevator going out! - you knew you'd be on your way pretty sharpish. I remember becoming a member of a nearby rugby club because its bar stayed open all day on Sundays.

Or at 1pm heading down the cricket club when the match started because they had the only exception and could serve alcohol right through the afternoons cricket. That’s why local league matches were packed. Then all
Done for 7pm (stumps) and off back into town when the pubs were allowed to reopen.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

white man wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 11:24am
Blackmarketclash wrote:
matedog wrote:
Not only that Graham. They were only open from 11:am until 3pm then 5:30pm until 10:30pm every other day of the week.
That just seems hard to remember.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 2:06pm
white man wrote:
Blackmarketclash wrote:
matedog wrote:
Not only that Graham. They were only open from 11:am until 3pm then 5:30pm until 10:30pm every other day of the week.
Not for a nation of suicidally hard drinkers like the Brits.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 2:37pm
matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 2:06pm
white man wrote:
Blackmarketclash wrote:
matedog wrote:
Not for a nation of suicidally hard drinkers like the Brits.
And James swoops in to seize the punchline. :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft