Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Who could have been an adequate substitute to Topper?

Post by YoungParisians »

Richard Dudanski!!
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:53pm
Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:19pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:00pm
I would have loved to see Stewart Copeland play with the Clash. The right thing to do would have been to pay to send topper to rehab and put the band on hold for like a year or so. But barring that, a lineup that still included mick, joe, Paul, and then that fucking madman behind the skins would have been wild to see. The police were pretty much finished by 83 anyways. The only potential issues would have been between Stewart and joe. Him and sting absolutely fucking loathed each other and Idk who was worse tbh; 83” Joe w/ all his hyper political shit and egomaniac or Sting just generally being the biggest cuntbag going. Regardless, it would have enabled the band to go in some crazy directions and experiment further with ethnic music.

55924C97-6C95-46E8-98E9-4DB03BBCEB73.jpeg
This is my vote too.
matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:17pm
Copeland is so good. Not familiar with the other guys mentioned. I feel like Copeland had a bit of an ego/star trip that wouldn't have worked well in 82/83. Plus Joe was apparently anti performing ethnic music. At least per 1984 rants, which who knows how serious that is.
It COULD be argued that having a competent drummer in the band could have kept everything together though, and perhaps if Copeland also hated Bernie, Mick would have had enough clout to re-sack him. Then they could take a half-year off and come back together fresh, and ready to make some fresh ragas.
Pete is an excellent drummer, so skill wise, the difference between him and Copeland isn't particularly big.
Oh I was alluding to Terry. Just musing on the idea that having Terry in as a temporary member with no voting rights probably didn't do much for band unity, but if Copeland was installed as a full member, perhaps that could have helped. I'd never dump on Pete.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I still think Pete Howard is overrated.

Stewart Copeland was too blonde and gawky. Also the Police were severely uncool. I just can't imagine him playing something like Tommy Gun with his wristy style.

I still think Rick Buckler could have fitted the bill after Terry and he became available at exactly the right time. He did some excellent work on some of the Jam's more cerebral work. Tales From the Riverbank, Monday etc. Was also a big Clash fan.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:09pm
Richard Dudanski!!
He is pretty shit hot on some of the 101'ers stuff.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:19pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I would have loved to see Stewart Copeland play with the Clash. The right thing to do would have been to pay to send topper to rehab and put the band on hold for like a year or so. But barring that, a lineup that still included mick, joe, Paul, and then that fucking madman behind the skins would have been wild to see. The police were pretty much finished by 83 anyways. The only potential issues would have been between Stewart and joe. Him and sting absolutely fucking loathed each other and Idk who was worse tbh; 83” Joe w/ all his hyper political shit and egomaniac or Sting just generally being the biggest cuntbag going. Regardless, it would have enabled the band to go in some crazy directions and experiment further with ethnic music.

This is my vote too.
matedog wrote:
Copeland is so good. Not familiar with the other guys mentioned. I feel like Copeland had a bit of an ego/star trip that wouldn't have worked well in 82/83. Plus Joe was apparently anti performing ethnic music. At least per 1984 rants, which who knows how serious that is.
It COULD be argued that having a competent drummer in the band could have kept everything together though, and perhaps if Copeland also hated Bernie, Mick would have had enough clout to re-sack him. Then they could take a half-year off and come back together fresh, and ready to make some fresh ragas.
Thin Lizzy and the Jam also broke up around roughly the same time. Imagine a supergroup of Phil Lynott, Mick Jones, Bruce Foxton, and Stewart Copeland. Phil was a huge early supporter of punk music and it even rubbed off in a lot of their later work IMO. He was also an excellent songwriter and probably could have switched to rhythm guitar pretty easily.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:24pm
I still think Pete Howard is overrated.

Stewart Copeland was too blonde and gawky. Also the Police were severely uncool. I just can't imagine him playing something like Tommy Gun with his wristy style.

I still think Rick Buckler could have fitted the bill after Terry and he became available at exactly the right time. He did some excellent work on some of the Jam's more cerebral work. Tales From the Riverbank, Monday etc. Was also a big Clash fan.
I’m sure Copeland could have handled punk era Clash songs perfectly well. He had plenty of stamina and muscle behind the kit.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I think the tabloid stories you hear about Copeland freaking the fuck out in the studio were more so a byproduct of being in a band with Sting. Copeland comes across as a fairly down to earth nice dude. Sting still is a complete ass hat. No doubt In my mind who the instigator was in that band. And lol Strummer should have joined Skrewdriver.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:22pm
As to Stewart Copeland, the Clash could never possibly have had the son of the head of the CIA for the Middle East in the group! Mick chose Pete Howard and thinks he’s a good drummer, but Topper had a lot more effect musically than most drummers.
Yeah, Copeland totally the wrong fit for me. They were desperate for street cred at the time and he never would have fitted into that.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Steve Grantley from SLF apparently very nearly got the job. He was just pipped at the post by Pete Howard. And speaking of SLF, Dolphin Taylor may have been a good fit. A very adept drummer.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Hear me out: Ringo.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 9:07pm
Hear me out: Ringo.
I LOLed

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

What so people Here think of budgie?
I Love His playing and i think i Heard Topper say the Same.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Tommy Lee behind the kit snorting fat lines of coke
:twitch:

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 6:22pm
Idk they were managed by a completely racist cuntbag in one Bernard Rhoades. Also had a lead singer who’s father was an esteemed British diplomat. I love the clash and think that their music has many positive messages, but they were as BS ridden as any other rock group out there I’m afraid.