01 Apr 2021, 3:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 2:52pm
JChampion wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 2:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 1:15pm
Little Richard/Esquerita/Fats Domino
It seems like it was a more prevalent in the 50's. Which is a same because as much as I like the Jim Jones Revue, even he kinda changed musical direction with Jim Jones and The Righteous Mind.
Definitely a lot more of a prominent instrument back then.
Agreed and me being a teenager in the New Wave 80's with keyboards, I missed out. LOL
In my advancing old age, my music has become a lot more eclectic.
Best way to be. Never close your ears off to stuff. Lots of choice out there.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rockin' Songs with Piano

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 3:16pm
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It seems like it was a more prevalent in the 50's. Which is a same because as much as I like the Jim Jones Revue, even he kinda changed musical direction with Jim Jones and The Righteous Mind.
Agreed and me being a teenager in the New Wave 80's with keyboards, I missed out. LOL
Hello,

It's not quite rocking piano but Look Sharp is a great piano/rock/new wave album.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Although some might find this hard to believe, I agree with this.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

revbob wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:

As a teenager I felt like I had to pick a genre and stick to it.
The problem with that narrow minded thinking as a youngster is look at all the music I should have been enjoying so much earlier in life.
My musical palette didn't start growing till my late twenties and by then adult life (wife, kids, career) grabbed hold of me. Shows I should have been going to see when I was young were missed. I definitely worked hard to make up for it later by going to lots of shows. That's been the thing I miss most with this damn Covid, LIVE SHOWS!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JChampion wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 5:23pm
revbob wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JChampion wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

As a teenager I felt like I had to pick a genre and stick to it.
The problem with that narrow minded thinking as a youngster is look at all the music I should have been enjoying so much earlier in life.
My musical palette didn't start growing till my late twenties and by then adult life (wife, kids, career) grabbed hold of me. Shows I should have been going to see when I was young were missed. I definitely worked hard to make up for it later by going to lots of shows. That's been the thing I miss most with this damn Covid, LIVE SHOWS!
Yeah no live music has been awful and I kick myself for the shows I didn't go to because I would go "next time" which sadly in many cases didn't or wont happen.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Quite a bit of piano on the new Danzig album.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

matedog wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 2:13pm
Always loved this fucked up Zeppelin song:

Featuring Ian Stewart of The Stones who has plenty of great contributions to that band.
I was in a pub a few years ago and someone started a conversation about the ultimate band line-up and it quickly came down to arguments about Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton on guitar, and that sort of stuff. Names were getting bandied about, arguments beginning and then I said, "I'm only playing this game if I can get Ian Stewart on piano." There was quite a consensus of opinion for someone hidden from view as a musician.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

matedog wrote:

Featuring Ian Stewart of The Stones who has plenty of great contributions to that band.
I was in a pub a few years ago and someone started a conversation about the ultimate band line-up and it quickly came down to arguments about Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton on guitar, and that sort of stuff. Names were getting bandied about, arguments beginning and then I said, "I'm only playing this game if I can get Ian Stewart on piano." There was quite a consensus of opinion for someone hidden from view as a musician.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Oops! Double post.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

dave202 wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:42am
matedog wrote:

Yeah, there's not a lot of players that didn't seem to dabble extensively in organ in the 70s. Stew seemed like a pure pianist. Billy Preston is phenomenal, but mostly known for his organ playing for example.

As a huge Springsteen fan, I acknowledge Roy Bittan's importance, but generally find him to be a bit obnoxious and overplaying. Bruce's first pianist, David Sancious, was/is otherworldly talented.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Radio station i usually have on plays the odd Floyd Cramer track from back in the day. I really like some of that old stuff.

And always liked the Hammond organ as an instrument, booker t and a few others. Steve Nieve did some great playing with Elvis and Van Morrison always used it to great effect, especially in collaboration with Georgie Fame.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

dave202 wrote:
People are so boring. Hendrix and Clapton are so often touted as the Greatest Guitarists That Ever Lived, so people always lean to them in those kind of arguments. It's self-fulfilling. They're technically good, not even really GREAT, but on top of that, they just aren't that interesting.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 8:46pm
dave202 wrote:
People are so boring. Hendrix and Clapton are so often touted as the Greatest Guitarists That Ever Lived, so people always lean to them in those kind of arguments. It's self-fulfilling. They're technically good, not even really GREAT, but on top of that, they just aren't that interesting.
I'd much rather listen to the weird squawks that Andy Gill or Keith Levene would elicit from a guitar than the pantheon of rock guitarists. Not stuff that overwhelms with technical skill but novel approaches to making sounds that seize the imagination. Nothing about Clapton grabs the imagination.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 8:57pm
Kory wrote:
dave202 wrote:
I'd much rather listen to the weird squawks that Andy Gill or Keith Levene would elicit from a guitar than the pantheon of rock guitarists. Not stuff that overwhelms with technical skill but novel approaches to making sounds that seize the imagination. Nothing about Clapton grabs the imagination.
Agreed on all counts. I wonder how much of the popularity of “virtuosos” is the Paris Hilton effect vs people sincerely thinking they are the best.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 8:57pm
Kory wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Agreed on all counts. I wonder how much of the popularity of “virtuosos” is the Paris Hilton effect vs people sincerely thinking they are the best.
Coincidentally, I'm editing a lecture for my popular culture class this evening that involves Pierre Bourdieu, who wrote about how taste is an additional factor in status (money being the other big one). The tastes of the well-heeled emphasize form over function, technical ability over bodily pleasure. The presentation of the meal over what it tastes like. So the genuflecting before virtuosos could be seen as defaulting to those high culture attitudes, applying them to lower cultural forms like rock. Maybe it's about seeking approval from elites or maybe it's people grabbing onto what they know to establish hierarchies in their own zone.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft