Inferior GEER

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Inferior GEER

Post by white man »

Apparently the first 100,000 copies released on Epic should never have left the pressing plant due to a mistake in the transfer to vinyl.
Epic refused to "buy up" the copies and allowed them into shops. Has anyone any more knowledge of this, or better still, a copy, that could enlighten us to the quality Vs later releases.
All this came from an interview with Sandy Pearlman BTW

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Re: Inferior GEER

Post by JChampion »

I've never heard about this. Could it have something to do with the Block printing of the title and then the Chinese font?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

white man wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 3:22pm
Apparently the first 100,000 copies released on Epic should never have left the pressing plant due to a mistake in the transfer to vinyl.
Epic refused to "buy up" the copies and allowed them into shops. Has anyone any more knowledge of this, or better still, a copy, that could enlighten us to the quality Vs later releases.
I think it’s related to the title of All the Young Punks. Was given an alternate name on the original sleeve jacket and consequently probably on the vinyl track list as well.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:47pm
white man wrote:
I think it’s related to the title of All the Young Punks. Was given an alternate name on the original sleeve jacket and consequently probably on the vinyl track list as well.
I have a copy of that I got in college at a used record store that didn’t realize it wasn’t just a regular copy and can confirm.
650B3E8E-F629-4A26-A504-9232049D7C5F.jpeg
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:54pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
white man wrote:
I have a copy of that I got in college at a used record store that didn’t realize it wasn’t just a regular copy and can confirm. 650B3E8E-F629-4A26-A504-9232049D7C5F.jpeg
Crazy running order too, weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 10:22pm
Wolter wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:54pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
white man wrote:
I have a copy of that I got in college at a used record store that didn’t realize it wasn’t just a regular copy and can confirm. 650B3E8E-F629-4A26-A504-9232049D7C5F.jpeg
Crazy running order too, weird.
I think it’s correct on the disc. Note it says to see the album for running order. I always assumed the record wasn’t finalized when they sent it off to print.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

No it's purely a sound issue. I'll see if I can dig out the interview with SP

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

20210403_070524.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210403_074114.jpg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

None of it is heavy metal, Sandy, and you should know better.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

My take on his comments are that 'manufacturing' refers to a mastering problem, not a vinyl pressing/quality problem.
Producers often sweat over audio details that go over most people's heads, eg George Martin tried to recall the first pressing run of the Beatles 'Revolver' LP (mono) cos he thought they'd used an inferior mix of 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. The cutting of the stampers used in LP manufacture often gets repeated, sometimes with subtle changes added especially if different equipment is used, and GEER could well have had a subtly revised cutting master remade after the first production run.
I'm sure not one person who bought one of the first 100,000 copies of GEER took it back to the shop complaining about the sound quality :mrgreen:
But no amount of remastering or re-cutting would make the Clash a proto- NWOBHM band ! 'Heavy Metal' is more than just a guitar-heavy style, it's a musical genre that is worlds apart from where the Clash came from
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JohnS wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:30am
My take on his comments are that 'manufacturing' refers to a mastering problem, not a vinyl pressing/quality problem.
Producers often sweat over audio details that go over most people's heads, eg George Martin tried to recall the first pressing run of the Beatles 'Revolver' LP (mono) cos he thought they'd used an inferior mix of 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. The cutting of the stampers used in LP manufacture often gets repeated, sometimes with subtle changes added especially if different equipment is used, and GEER could well have had a subtly revised cutting master remade after the first production run.
I'm sure not one person who bought one of the first 100,000 copies of GEER took it back to the shop complaining about the sound quality :mrgreen:
But no amount of remastering or re-cutting would make the Clash a proto- NWOBHM band ! 'Heavy Metal' is more than just a guitar-heavy style, it's a musical genre that is worlds apart from where the Clash came from
The old school metal fans I know can't stand the Clash, either. See them as posers banging on about stuff nobody cares about.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

JohnS wrote:
Well, I wouldn't disagree, though it seems to me the difference is largely ideological (if that's the right word). Musically there is a certain overlap. Paul Di'Anno keeps insisting that the first two Maiden albums were punk rock, and I think he has a point. At least if you look at how he is approaching the songs these days.
There's the Thin Lizzy/Sex Pistols connection as well.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Aren't Nirvana heavy metal?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Olaf wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:29am
JohnS wrote:
Well, I wouldn't disagree, though it seems to me the difference is largely ideological (if that's the right word). Musically there is a certain overlap. Paul Di'Anno keeps insisting that the first two Maiden albums were punk rock, and I think he has a point. At least if you look at how he is approaching the songs these days.
There's the Thin Lizzy/Sex Pistols connection as well.
I feel a strong connection between Thin Lizzy/Clash. Cowboy Song/Gates of the West/Jail Guitar Doors/Groovy Times

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Before I'd actually heard their music I thought KISS were heavy metal.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?