What are the odds that...

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

What are the odds that...

Post by Guest1 »

The Clash would have done a full reunion had Joe never died? It's pretty much agreed upon that they would have played the RNR hall ceremony, perhaps without Paul though. After hearing the demoes that Mick and Joe made together I'm thinking we probably would have gotten at least one album/one tour out of it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What are the odds that...

Post by Heston »

Yes, I think the stars were aligning at last. I'm obviously still gutted about Joe dying but I'm glad it never happened.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Gut feeling tells me it would never have happened. Paul never seemed set on it and i never thought they'd have gone ahead without him and have a feeling they'd have found something else to argue about as well. Gut feeling is all it is, though.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 1:10pm
Yes, I think the stars were aligning at last. I'm obviously still gutted about Joe dying but I'm glad it never happened.
Why is that? Feel like it would be a letdown?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

CLASH PLAYING THE 04 WARPED TOUR WITH NOFX AND BLINK 182

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 1:23pm
Heston wrote:
Yes. I don't think post-1988 Mick had the vocal power to do justice to the Clash stuff. And reunions are usually just crap in general.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 2:29pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yes. I don't think post-1988 Mick had the vocal power to do justice to the Clash stuff. And reunions are usually just crap in general.
Very much this. Talent rarely overwhelms context and circumstance, contrary to romantic myth. So much of what makes the special groups special is that they arrived at the right time—the composition of their audience, the mood of the country, the age and needs of the band members, all that. Which is why so many reunions, intended or not, end up as nostalgia exercises—a longing for a lost time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 2:51pm
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
Very much this. Talent rarely overwhelms context and circumstance, contrary to romantic myth. So much of what makes the special groups special is that they arrived at the right time—the composition of their audience, the mood of the country, the age and needs of the band members, all that. Which is why so many reunions, intended or not, end up as nostalgia exercises—a longing for a lost time.
Very interesting theory. I feel like they could have probably done a few one off gigs here and there but you're honestly right... anything more would have completely destroyed the mystique of the Clash. What do you think of existing bands playing albums in full? I.e. the Manics playing the Holy Bible in full 20 some odd years later and about 50 pounds heavier...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
Very interesting theory. I feel like they could have probably done a few one off gigs here and there but you're honestly right... anything more would have completely destroyed the mystique of the Clash. What do you think of existing bands playing albums in full? I.e. the Manics playing the Holy Bible in full 20 some odd years later and about 50 pounds heavier...
Wire, who have pulled off the late-in-life reunion better than most, did that for Pink Flag around 17 years ago. It's okay, I suppose—it has more bite than the studio record—but it isn't a gem in their catalogue (even their live catalogue). It's a thing they did and that's about it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:13pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Wire, who have pulled off the late-in-life reunion better than most, did that for Pink Flag around 17 years ago. It's okay, I suppose—it has more bite than the studio record—but it isn't a gem in their catalogue (even their live catalogue). It's a thing they did and that's about it.
I tend to think of Wire as a band who just breaks up and gets back together every once in awhile, as opposed to reuniting in the traditional sense. Sometimes they are in the same room and sometimes not, but the Wire force is constant.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:13pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I tend to think of Wire as a band who just breaks up and gets back together every once in awhile, as opposed to reuniting in the traditional sense. Sometimes they are in the same room and sometimes not, but the Wire force is constant.
The first time, sure, but the second time was a huge shock for me. After all, Grey had quit after Manscape. That they kept going after Gilbert quit was perhaps even more shocking (as I understand it, Gilbert was stunned that they would carry on without him).

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Mission of Burma might be an exception to that rule about reunion not producing quality new material and just being a nostalgia run. I sometimes think they were a restart rather than a reunion - and they actually began their restart opening for Wire (some of the more Wire-conscious people may correct me about that).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:47pm
Hello,

Mission of Burma might be an exception to that rule about reunion not producing quality new material and just being a nostalgia run. I sometimes think they were a restart rather than a reunion - and they actually began their restart opening for Wire (some of the more Wire-conscious people may correct me about that).
MoB is a definite rarity/exception to the reunion rule.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:35pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if that was because they were kind of forced to break up in the first place, and they still had unfinished business.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 6:35pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if that was because they were kind of forced to break up in the first place, and they still had unfinished business.
Yeah, I thought about adding the oddity for quitting/suspending operations wasn't the usual ego/money crapola.