The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:26pm
matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 10:20am
geraldmanns wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 9:09am

On 06:41 Joe states that no white man‘s been near the track!
I don't think Joe is correct when he says Mikey with the "Natty Congo's".

I think it's as I mentioned further up this post. The Roots Radics (dubbed The Revolutionaries (and later Channel One Stars). Pretty much the Channel One house band.

Same band Mikey used on his World War III album that was remixed at Wessex by Bill Price and Jerry Green.

The Clash played a version of Jumping Master with Mikey live.

Which I guess would possibly make Radio One an outtake from the World War III sessions.
Good detective work all around. Main confirmation was that it wasn't The Clash playing on that track at all.
Yeah. It’s even less of a Clash song than Lose This Skin.
It's not "even less of a Clash song than Lose This Skin". It's not a Clash song at all. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:53pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
geraldmanns wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 9:09am

On 06:41 Joe states that no white man‘s been near the track!

I think it's as I mentioned further up this post. The Roots Radics (dubbed The Revolutionaries (and later Channel One Stars). Pretty much the Channel One house band.

Same band Mikey used on his World War III album that was remixed at Wessex by Bill Price and Jerry Green.

Which I guess would possibly make Radio One an outtake from the World War III sessions.
Good detective work all around. Main confirmation was that it wasn't The Clash playing on that track at all.
It's not "even less of a Clash song than Lose This Skin". It's not a Clash song at all. ;)
Using mad hatter logic, it’s easy to have more than nothing, so less than something should also be possible!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:53pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Using mad hatter logic, it’s easy to have more than nothing, so less than something should also be possible!
That's my kinda logic. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, but the drum beat in Sean Flynn is basically a slowed down take on the soca pattern in Let's Go Crazy.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

msza2 wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 9:38pm
I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, but the drum beat in Sean Flynn is basically a slowed down take on the soca pattern in Let's Go Crazy.
Sean Flynn recorded a good two years before Let’s Go Crazy, so apparently a soca pattern from before either?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 2:47am
msza2 wrote:
Sean Flynn recorded a good two years before Let’s Go Crazy, so apparently a soca pattern from before either?
?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 6:09am
msza2 wrote:
?
I'm wondering if Teddy is referring to the Prince song?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 6:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 6:09am
msza2 wrote:
?
I'm wondering if Teddy is referring to the Prince song?
Ahh that would make more sense. I was thinking the Clash song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Oops. Yes I was.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man the Clash Snyder interview vs the PiL one really demonstrates the difference between those two camps, even back in the punk days.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 10:08pm
Man the Clash Snyder interview vs the PiL one really demonstrates the difference between those two camps, even back in the punk days.
Very different attitudes. The Clash embraced all things rock n roll. Lydon detested it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:47am
Kory wrote:
Very different attitudes. The Clash embraced all things rock n roll. Lydon detested it.
I mean even just having a regular conversation with somebody instead of acting like a sullen teenager. It's wild.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 4:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:47am
Kory wrote:
I mean even just having a regular conversation with somebody instead of acting like a sullen teenager. It's wild.
The Clash got off on a good footing on the Snyder show. Joe was in great form having fun with the bear etc. But just watch how moody Mick and Topper look at the start of things. Now that could be nerves or even fatigue but they only loosen up when Joe takes control of the interview.

With Lydon and Levene those two were very paranoid at the time. Always had their backs up against the wall with people. They didn't trust each other much. So Snyder was only ever going to get short shrift. They would've been suspect of him.

When Lydon appeared on Snyders show years later he apologised. Was way more relaxed and the interview was an enjoyable watch.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:10pm

When Lydon appeared on Snyders show years later he apologised. Was way more relaxed and the interview was an enjoyable watch.
I was going to mention that. It’s an important companion piece to the story.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 8:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:10pm

I was going to mention that. It’s an important companion piece to the story.
I think it's important to understand Lydon's state of mind when he left London for New York. Bad things had happened at Gunter Grove, Chelsea. The house was constantly being raided by the Police. I remember a story where the Police had burst into Gunter Grove with sniffer dogs and literally tore John's cat apart right in front of him. The drugs were being used of course and paranoia had set in. Wobble had walked out of PiL and things were disintegrating. Lydon and Levene's friendship had become fractious to say the least. So that interview was not that suprising.

John was an easy target. Maybe he deserved some of the shit he got and maybe he didn't. He was getting set up a lot with the press etc looking for him to fall. Like the PiL performance of Chant and the interview that followed on "Check It Out" (Heston posted the full clip on YT) where the program set him up with a dumb interview by the Angelic Upstarts Ray 'Mond' Cowie. Mond saying stupid stuff like "Johnny Rotten is finished". Lydon replying to the shows hosts that he didn't want to face a cheapskate interrogation act and then rightly walking off.

Mond Cowie comes across as a complete numb skull. Probably a bit drunk but that interview with him is cringeworthy.

Still the Upstarts were great. I wonder what Mensi thought of it all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia