Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by tepista »

Sparky wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 4:58pm
Came across this today, kind of sums up the way I feel when I'm in a store and hear someone being an ass about wearing a mask. I fail to understand why this has to be some big political drama. It's science folks, plain and simple.

Maksk.jpg
Doesn't matter how many times, or how politely, or how impolitely you pound that into someone's head. If they're on the other side they won't get it.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

tepista wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 5:18pm
Sparky wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 4:58pm
Came across this today, kind of sums up the way I feel when I'm in a store and hear someone being an ass about wearing a mask. I fail to understand why this has to be some big political drama. It's science folks, plain and simple.

Maksk.jpg
Doesn't matter how many times, or how politely, or how impolitely you pound that into someone's head. If they're on the other side they won't get it.
Agreed, and I'm not looking to start a brawl, so I mind my own business, don't say anything to them and vent about it later on like I'm doing here now.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

No real mask issues here in Western New York that I’ve noticed. After the first day or so last March, everyone pretty much started wearing them without complaint. Only drama I saw, about a week in, involved a big 60-something Trumpy biker dude who refused to wear one in the gas station around the corner. The much smaller cash register guy was former Army, had served in Iraq, and wasn’t taking any shit: “we’re not gonna BEAT this thing if we don’t wear a friggin’ MASK, sir!” The older guy just grumbled about never coming back and walked out. Since last March I think I’ve only seen one other person in a store who wasn’t masked up, and she was there to buy a mask.

About 6 months ago, heading in to the same gas station, I saw one guy who walked up to the door ahead of me without a mask, kinda Trumpy looking, and I thought, here we go. But as he got to the door and saw his reflection in the glass, he spun around on his heel, smiled at me and said “whoopsie-daisy” and went back to his car for one. I’ve seen plenty of Trump signs here, but everyone’s been pretty reasonable about masks and distancing, thankfully.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 6:36pm
No real mask issues here in Western New York that I’ve noticed. After the first day or so last March, everyone pretty much started wearing them without complaint. Only drama I saw, about a week in, involved a big 60-something Trumpy biker dude who refused to wear one in the gas station around the corner. The much smaller cash register guy was former Army, had served in Iraq, and wasn’t taking any shit: “we’re not gonna BEAT this thing if we don’t wear a friggin’ MASK, sir!” The older guy just grumbled about never coming back and walked out. Since last March I think I’ve only seen one other person in a store who wasn’t masked up, and she was there to buy a mask.

About 6 months ago, heading in to the same gas station, I saw one guy who walked up to the door ahead of me without a mask, kinda Trumpy looking, and I thought, here we go. But as he got to the door and saw his reflection in the glass, he spun around on his heel, smiled at me and said “whoopsie-daisy” and went back to his car for one. I’ve seen plenty of Trump signs here, but everyone’s been pretty reasonable about masks and distancing, thankfully.
I forgot my mask a couple of days ago walking the dog around the block and when I realized, I was so embarrassed that I almost considered possibly starting to run. Almost. (I don't run)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I feel like we've hit some sort of tipping point round these parts. I noticed more than a few people ditching the mask this past weekend. The weather has started to get decent, people are moving about more. I stopped at a gas station this morning and very few people were masked up. I also don't know how much I actually care. You can't really babysit adults. Everyone in my immediate family has had at least their 1st shot.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 10:18am
I feel like we've hit some sort of tipping point round these parts. I noticed more than a few people ditching the mask this past weekend. The weather has started to get decent, people are moving about more. I stopped at a gas station this morning and very few people were masked up. I also don't know how much I actually care. You can't really babysit adults. Everyone in my immediate family has had at least their 1st shot.
I've noticed a lot of older people not wearing masks in the stores. *shrugs* After a year of this, what can you possibly said that hasn't already been said?
Last edited by Mimi on 05 Apr 2021, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Mimi wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 10:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
I've noticed a lot of older people not wearing anything in the stores. *shrugs* After a year of this, what can you possibly said that hasn't already been said?
I have yet to notice a bunch of naked old people running around the stores here in NY, thankfully.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:05am
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I've noticed a lot of older people not wearing anything in the stores. *shrugs* After a year of this, what can you possibly said that hasn't already been said?
I have yet to notice a bunch of naked old people running around the stores here in NY, thankfully.
Fuckin' A. I had the word mask in my head and it still came out wrong.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I've noticed a lot of older people not wearing masks in the stores. *shrugs* After a year of this, what can you possibly said that hasn't already been said?
It seems to get worse the further I get away from the city. Milwaukee is surrounded by white flight communities, many still feel quite rural: big, ugly houses surrounded by acres of nothing with a couple of SUV's in the driveway and a Trump sign in the yard. It's better within Milwaukee County, but appears to be getting worse.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Mimi wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:08am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
:lol: Sorry, I knew what you meant. Just being a wiseguy. That would be an alarming tipping point though. Everyone's still masking up in stores here, but I'm not sure how long it will last as the weather gets nicer and more people are getting vaccinated.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah, Colorado lifted its statewide mask mandate on Sunday. Luckily, vaccinations are going pretty well but we've definitely hit a wall. People know most high-risk folks have had access to shots for a few months now and the general population is starting to queue. I think a lot of people who were complying because they were mostly worried about infecting a grandma or frontline worker or something are entering "fuck it" territory. Knowing they'll probably be vaccinated soon seems to have the counterintuitive result of making people a little less cautious, not more.

I'd like to see people try to hang on for like the few more weeks it'll take to actually get protected, but I get that isn't really how regular human psychology works. I just hope the vax distribution works fast enough that it'll paper things over mostly.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:19am
Mimi wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:08am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
:lol: Sorry, I knew what you meant. Just being a wiseguy. That would be an alarming tipping point though. Everyone's still masking up in stores here, but I'm not sure how long it will last as the weather gets nicer and more people are getting vaccinated.
:lol: No, you're fine. I can take it. I just get mad at myself for making so many typos. Stupid perfectionism.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah, Colorado lifted its statewide mask mandate on Sunday. Luckily, vaccinations are going pretty well but we've definitely hit a wall. People know most high-risk folks have had access to shots for a few months now and the general population is starting to queue. I think a lot of people who were complying because they were mostly worried about infecting a grandma or frontline worker or something are entering "fuck it" territory. Knowing they'll probably be vaccinated soon seems to have the counterintuitive result of making people a little less cautious, not more.

I'd like to see people try to hang on for like the few more weeks it'll take to actually get protected, but I get that isn't really how regular human psychology works. I just hope the vax distribution works fast enough that it'll paper things over mostly.
Yup. I’m getting the first jab in about 24 hours, and the next one 3 weeks later. Will be about 5-6 weeks yet before that offers any protection. We really need to buckle down for a couple more months at least to keep the more dangerous or vaccine-resistant strains from gaining a foothold.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We've never had a statewide mask mandate, so yay! Thankfully, St. Louis has its own, but once you leave the metro area, it's like the wild west.

I was down in Jeff City last week for the first time since the pandemic started to testify for a bill we've been working on for eight years (it would allow victims of domestic violence to take unpaid leave for up to two weeks without the risk of being fired. We'd love for it to be paid leave, but the chambers of commerce won't let that happen). Mask wearing was clearly partisan in the capitol building. I wouldn't have gone down there if I wasn't fully vaxxed.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:41am
Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:

Yup. I’m getting the first jab in about 24 hours, and the next one 3 weeks later. Will be about 5-6 weeks yet before that offers any protection. We really need to buckle down for a couple more months at least to keep the more dangerous or vaccine-resistant strains from gaining a foothold.
I get my second one on Wednesday. I have had moments where I felt a little invincible, but then I try and bring myself back down to Earth.