The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Kimmelweck »

Boddington wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 6:11pm
Tuesday! Tuesday!

I know i barely know any of y'all except through a tenuous connection with Flex but I'm getting my J&J jab on Tuesday.

God willing the supply will start to run all around so y'all can start getting it. I just want to feel like I'm not going to die from licking door handles.
Nice. Tuesday for me too. First Pfizer jab, a twenty minute drive away in Niagara Falls. I already had an appointment to get it on May 28 in Rochester, NY, but I cancelled it, as this one is much sooner and over an hour closer to home.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 7:30pm
Boddington wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 6:11pm
Tuesday! Tuesday!

I know i barely know any of y'all except through a tenuous connection with Flex but I'm getting my J&J jab on Tuesday.

God willing the supply will start to run all around so y'all can start getting it. I just want to feel like I'm not going to die from licking door handles.
Congrats, man. May your health be strong enough to enjoy all 75 Red Sox wins this year.
I was going to say 80-82 wins before today and then I saw how listless we were today and now I think mid-70s is more likely unless JD remembers he used to be able to hit the baseball.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WA state has announced they're opening it up on the 15th. Gonna get vaxxed and go hang out with other vaxxed people. Or maybe I'll just continue to hang out alone, which I quite enjoy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 8:43pm
WA state has announced they're opening it up on the 15th. Gonna get vaxxed and go hang out with other vaxxed people. Or maybe I'll just continue to hang out alone, which I quite enjoy.
It's seriously been a resource to draw from in the past 12 months. There have been many times that I've felt vaguely guilty for not being more negatively affected by the pandemic. Stay in? Yeah, what's your point?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:08pm
Kory wrote:
It's seriously been a resource to draw from in the past 12 months. There have been many times that I've felt vaguely guilty for not being more negatively affected by the pandemic. Stay in? Yeah, what's your point?
Yeah, I wad telling my mom the other day that I don’t really miss anybody, which she balked at, saying that I’m very social. I said, yeah, it’s fun to go get a drink with friends or go to their house for a barbecue or whatever, but I’ve been perfectly content (aside from the anxiety of external issues) to stay home and read every day for a year. My internal world is pretty good at keeping me alive I guess. I don’t really know how to interpret that, but it is what it is I guess.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah, I wad telling my mom the other day that I don’t really miss anybody, which she balked at, saying that I’m very social. I said, yeah, it’s fun to go get a drink with friends or go to their house for a barbecue or whatever, but I’ve been perfectly content (aside from the anxiety of external issues) to stay home and read every day for a year. My internal world is pretty good at keeping me alive I guess. I don’t really know how to interpret that, but it is what it is I guess.
A friend of ours who is kinda wise in such matters says introverts aren't people who can't be social or freeze up in those situations; they're people who, if they have their choice, are just happy to be spending time in their head. It's a mistake to equate introversion with a lack of social skills or what have you. I can do all that stuff, and even enjoy it, but, yeah, more often than not I'm good with hanging out with myself.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:20pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
A friend of ours who is kinda wise in such matters says introverts aren't people who can't be social or freeze up in those situations; they're people who, if they have their choice, are just happy to be spending time in their head. It's a mistake to equate introversion with a lack of social skills or what have you. I can do all that stuff, and even enjoy it, but, yeah, more often than not I'm good with hanging out with myself.
I’ve read similar things myself. I like my friends, but I will say I’m god awful at talking to people I don’t know. I just can’t think of anything to say, and I don’t know if it’s because I have a lack of social skills or if it’s just that I don’t care to expend the effort on it. I guess those are kind of the same thing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I do fine by myself and tend to be pretty introspective but I do really enjoy hanging out with people of a similar mindset where I can discuss music, politics, baseball and some other topics. I dont like going to gatherings with people I can't identify with somehow and Ive been in plenty of those fucking situations alcohol is mandatory in those cases.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I’ve read similar things myself. I like my friends, but I will say I’m god awful at talking to people I don’t know. I just can’t think of anything to say, and I don’t know if it’s because I have a lack of social skills or if it’s just that I don’t care to expend the effort on it. I guess those are kind of the same thing.
I assume (maybe with validity) that the things I like aren't enjoyed by others and I have a hard time faking interest in a lot of what other people care about. I became much happier about myself when I accepted both of these premises.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:38pm
Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 9:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I assume (maybe with validity) that the things I like aren't enjoyed by others and I have a hard time faking interest in a lot of what other people care about. I became much happier about myself when I accepted both of these premises.
That rings very true for me. And I hate small talk, so that really doesn’t leave much.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Got my first Pfizer jab today at the Niagara Falls convention center. It wasn't crowded and could not have gone more smoothly. My appointment was for 12:00 noon. A National Guard guy pointed me to the door. I walked in at 11:48 and a staff guy checked my temperature at the door with a digital thermometer to the temple. He asked me to answer a couple questions about whether or not I had any symptoms, shortness of breath, coughing, etc. Nope. The guy then directed me to a table where a lady at a laptop checked me in with my driver’s license. I wasn't asked to show anything else. She then directed me to a line that had 2 people ahead of me. As soon as I stepped into the line, the 2 people ahead of me were directed to tables for their vaccines. I waited another minute and was called. I sat down and the medical guy asked me a few questions – any history of allergic reaction to vaccines, etc. Nope. He told me to roll up my sleeve and swabbed my shoulder with alcohol. I didn’t feel the needle. It just felt like he pressed his thumb to my shoulder. Time of vaccination was 11:54. I was then directed to a waiting area and sat there for 15 minutes. Walked out at 12:09.

I’ll get the next dose on April 27th. So far after 7 hours I’m not even feeling any soreness in my shoulder. :thumbsup:

Hope everyone still waiting has a chance to get theirs soon.

IGotVaccinated.jpg
IGotVaccinated.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 7:33pm
Got my first Pfizer jab today at the Niagara Falls convention center. It wasn't crowded and could not have gone more smoothly. My appointment was for 12:00 noon. A National Guard guy pointed me to the door. I walked in at 11:48 and a staff guy checked my temperature at the door with a digital thermometer to the temple. He asked me to answer a couple questions about whether or not I had any symptoms, shortness of breath, coughing, etc. Nope. The guy then directed me to a table where a lady at a laptop checked me in with my driver’s license. I wasn't asked to show anything else. She then directed me to a line that had 2 people ahead of me. As soon as I stepped into the line, the 2 people ahead of me were directed to tables for their vaccines. I waited another minute and was called. I sat down and the medical guy asked me a few questions – any history of allergic reaction to vaccines, etc. Nope. He told me to roll up my sleeve and swabbed my shoulder with alcohol. I didn’t feel the needle. It just felt like he pressed his thumb to my shoulder. Time of vaccination was 11:54. I was then directed to a waiting area and sat there for 15 minutes. Walked out at 12:09.

I’ll get the next dose on April 27th. So far after 7 hours I’m not even feeling any soreness in my shoulder. :thumbsup:

IGotVaccinated.jpg
Congratulations on getting your 1st dose. I found that rotating my shoulder in a circular motion forward and backward every hour helped with the soreness. The morning after my shot, I was working out again.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 7:52pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

IGotVaccinated.jpg
Congratulations on getting your 1st dose. I found that rotating my shoulder in a circular motion forward and backward every hour helped with the soreness. The morning after my shot, I was working out again.
Thanks. It was a relief to at least get the first one.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 8:12pm
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

IGotVaccinated.jpg
I hear you. We're getting our 2nd does 4/29, takes 2 weeks to fully build up the antibodies, then we're looking forward to visiting indoors with elderly family members again.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 8:30pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 8:12pm
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

IGotVaccinated.jpg
I hear you. We're getting our 2nd does 4/29, takes 2 weeks to fully build up the antibodies, then we're looking forward to visiting indoors with elderly family members again.
Sounds like you got the Moderna one? As I recall that was a bit longer between doses than Pfizer, which is 3 weeks. And yeah, it will be nice to be around friends and family when the antibodies kick in. Well, most of them anyway. :mrgreen: