A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Marky Dread »

The Toasters - Dub 56 chat version.
I have a couple of Toasters CDs they are solid enough at what they do if not a little generic at times. This track is enjoyable. 7/10

Mega City Four - Stop
I saw the the farnborough wonders loads at the end of the 80s through the 90s until they split and then Wiz formed Serpico. Great band great tunes. Along with The Senseless Things some of my favourites from that era. Wiz R.I.P. 9/10

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash - This song is different for sure not sure it quite hits me. But yeah it's fun. 6/10

The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada - Paranoid
I'll leave this one. Not for me. 4/10

The Sports - Who Listens To The Radio
Nice bit of powerpop just like many others but solid tune. 8/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 3:53am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 3:18am
How do I get in on this?
There's a list of people in order. You can join the list no problem. It's Tom's thread and he organised things. His partner is expecting a baby any day soon so he may be a liitle bit busy.
Way to start is to review people's fives.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 5:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
How do I get in on this?
There's a list of people in order. You can join the list no problem. It's Tom's thread and he organised things. His partner is expecting a baby any day soon so he may be a liitle bit busy.
In addition to this, I'm currently the omega dog of this pack, so unless someone wants to let you cut in early, you'd follow me, but it'll be a couple months before our turns come up (I just went a couple weeks ago).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 6:47am
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
How do I get in on this?
In addition to this, I'm currently the omega dog of this pack, so unless someone wants to let you cut in early, you'd follow me, but it'll be a couple months before our turns come up (I just went a couple weeks ago).
It might be helpful if Tom edits the running order into his first post, then add people if they want to get on board. I can never find it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
How do I get in on this?
It might be helpful if Tom edits the running order into his first post, then add people if they want to get on board. I can never find it.
Sure, but really all you need to know is the person you follow and perhaps the person who follows you (so you can give them a heads up). I know that I'm after Olaf and then it's Tom. As long as I know that, I won't fuck up the process (beyond my selections, anyway).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:27am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Sure, but really all you need to know is the person you follow and perhaps the person who follows you (so you can give them a heads up). I know that I'm after Olaf and then it's Tom. As long as I know that, I won't fuck up the process (beyond my selections, anyway).
Yeah, but I keep forgetting!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

You're between Marky and SM. Come up with some bizarre soccer mnemonic to remember that order.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Me too. Great minds forget alike. :shifty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I gotta catch up gkbill's last bunch, so here that is first:

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind
Love this. As you say, super funky, with a nice authentic feeling and a bit of grit. Fucking love those horns and the guitar licks. Love how the drumming goes OFF at about 3 minutes in for the coda. 9/10

Waco Brothers - Do you ever think about me?
Big fan of the Waco Brothers (and pretty much anything ob Bloodshot Records, come to that). This one has a nice big band sound to it to add to the punkin' honky tonk vibes. These guys are always reliably good. 8/10

The Oblivians - Fire Detector.
Never heard of these guys before but I LOVE this garagey punk sound with the short sharp vocals. One of my favorite kinds of punk stylings, probably. And dig the little guitar solo in the middle of the song. Fanfuckingtastic. 9/10

Songhoy Blues - Sahara.
Haha, I enjoy this. Some good "world blues" type stuff of the sort that Joe Strummer would certainly have approved of. Real nice loping groove to it and Iggy really does do his best. 7/10

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water.
I'm a really big fan of the Mutant Disco scene that Was Not Was was involved with via Ze Records and whatnot. They actually get a little weirder on some other tracks iirc, but this is still quite good. I see from discogs this is from a later album, so I'll be checking that out. 8/10

Really, really great selection of material gkbill. Another clutch that is 1000% right up my alley.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Now to weller259's selections (nice to see you, weller)...

The Toasters - Dub 56 chat version - We don't want no pushin' no shovin' no lootin' no kickin' no shootin' goona be danger ... love this version personally ....
I'm a big Toasters fan - seen 'em a few times live and whatnot - although my knowledge of their catalog is not encyclopedic (so maybe not as big a fan as I claim to be, hmmm) so I can' swear that I've ever heard this before. In any case I love the toasting here. Very impressive. 8/10

Mega City Four - Stop
This is basically fine. I think one thing I'm learning in this thread is that I'm a very "it's fine when I hear it, but I'm not excited by it" when it comes to most power pop with a few exceptions. This, unfortunately, is not one of those exceptions. I wouldn't turn the radio dial if it came on, but it's not my aesthetic really. 5/10

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash - This song is fun ...
This is great. Some psychofunkabilly or something. Probably verges slightly into "novelty" territory but when it's so fun and the bass licks are so good, who cares? 7.5/10

The Holy Sisters Of Gaga Dada - Paranoid
This is fun, another pick that teeters into "novelty" territory but the vocal commitment really sells the whole thing. This song feels like it anticipates the eastern-folk-polk type stuff that god big in the aughts. I'm into it. 7/10

The Sports - Who Listens To The Radio
I think others gave made the Joe Jackson or E.C. comp, and those are fair, since it's that same vein. Good fun late 70s pop, I'd listen to this again (and likely will!) 7/10
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Jonathan Fire*Eater - Give Me Daughters
I was liking this until the vocals came in, they are a bit too loud and I'm not sure I like the vocal tone. The song is promising but it kind of starts meandering for me. I would have liked some more wild changes to go along with the wildness of the tones.

Tiger - Shining in the Wood
Like the production on this one more, very present, but not a fan of the vocals once again. Also went on a little too long for what it was doing, definitely could have used the Pink Flag philosophy. Good energy though.

Aesop Rock - 1000 Deaths
I've been a casual fan of Aesop for many years now, this is as good as usual, though I tend to like some of his early jazzy stuff a bit more. Good track though.

Renegade Soundwave - Brixton
Good tones/mood. Again thought the vocals were maybe missing something or coming in with the wrong tone, could have used a little diversity of sound there but I'm not as big a fan of the sort of Underworld brand of hypnotic vocals.

The Lovely Eggs - Wiggy Giggy
Nice mood and energy, but just kinda continues on, would have liked more changes again here.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Einstürzende Neubauten
I like the mood and build, it has a very folky kind of feeling to it. Gentle but engaging. I only know a few Neubauten songs, but I think I probably should check out more.

Nina Hagen
Is the song actually this lo-fi, or is it just the YT upload? In any case, I like the beat—the vocals are little buried in the mix, but whether that's a positive or a negative sort of depends on whether I'm hearing the clearest version. Good stuff though.

Stereo Total
I don't like the French language so that's a strike already. The rest of the song is good though, nice fuzz tones. Would have liked a little diversity in the arrangement but it's not a big deal.

Josh
Not really my style, but fun video.

Seeed
Fun song, robust and charming little sound effects. Nice ska-influenced sound mixed with outer space. I may check more of this out.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Cha Cha Cohen, “A=A”
Nice clean production on this, good energy and mood. The repeated sting is a bit loud and drowns out the vocals which wouldn't bug me so much except that it's such a backbone to the song. Otherwise, this ticks most of my boxes. I don't like MES but I do like this, so take from that what you will.

Cinerama, “Dance Girl Dance”
That drum into made me think I just put on The Head on the Door. 60s by way of 80s artist in the 00's. For fans of WP (obviously), Ocean Blue, Smiths, mid period Cure. Pretty good stuff, but I hope the rest of the album has some divergence from this at least a little bit. This kind of thing only holds up for a few tracks for me, so I'd want some different tones and moods over an entire album.

Momus, “Ten Foot Hut”
Reminds me of a less threatening Massive Attack, if that makes sense. Might just be the Fiddler reference. Nice clean production, like the tones. Kinda feel like the vocals could use some more processing maybe, like they have right at the end. They're a bit to either matter-of-fact or too high in the mix in the bulk of the song for what the musical bed is. Maybe some very subtle doubling or something. What else would you recommend from this person?

Fritz, “Jan. 1”
Bit of shoegazy feeling here. Really good guitar tones and separation of both between the high, floating guitar and the lower distorted one. Interesting combo of that sound with a more poppy structure and vocal melody. I always appreciate when gaze-influenced people don't just ape MBV so this is appealing. Nice and floaty. Bonus for being Australian. I'll be checking more of this out.

Norman Westberg, “The Olive Rolls Away From the Tree”
I like ambient music fine, though I don't own any and never listen to it. I don't have a beef with it, is what I mean. It's perfectly pleasant and I don't complain if anyone has it on, but I don't seek it out. This falls into that category.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Polka Never Dies - The Dreadnoughts
Really not a fan of this kind of fusion, same as I don't like irish punk music. I appreciate that they are passionate about something but I just can't get into it.

Around Us - Jonsi
Not a fan of these vocals, the rest of the track is just too Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, whatever else is on the radio. Way too grand for me.

You're Not Alone - The Enemy
Same issue here for me. Too stadium, it doesn't touch me at all.

Grandad's Flannelette Nightshirt - George Formby
I haven't heard a lot of Formby, but I tend to like him when I do. Probably the same thing that makes me like the Marx Bros.

Out Of Nothing - Embrace
Can't do it, sorry.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction to your Mind.
THIS is what I'm talking about. Nice to hear some energy after the last few entries. Nothing to say about this other than I like it. Actually I will say something else, really like the wah guitar in the right speaker.

Waco Brothers - Do you ever think about me?
Not a big fan of white dad blues, it all sounds the same to me, partially because it all uses the exact same chord progression. Just reminds me of goatee men in their 50s.

The Oblivians - Fire Detector
This is a good example of a song that calls it good at the appropriate time. It says what it needs to and then gets out. Good energy, good everything.

Songhoy Blues - Sahara
Cool guitar parts, I'd like the bass to be just a touch louder, but otherwise it's a nice clean mix. Good changes, good groove. I'll check these guys out further.

Was (Not Was) - Crazy Water
Really like the backing vocals here. I don't think I'd listen to this much in my free time, but it was a nice listen while it lasted for these purposes. Nice and smooth, great mix, very well separated.