Inferior GEER

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Re: Inferior GEER

Post by Guest1 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 4:03pm
Thin Lizzy is my favorite “heavy” rock band, at least through the era until Brian Robertson left. The albums after crossed the line into too much dungeons and dragons for me. Maybe that was the heroin. Also live with Gary Moore the soloing was endless, however facile a blues player he may have been. But through 1978 or so they were pretty cool.
I honestly love their entire discography. Not sure what you mean by "dungeons and dragons" though tbh. Their lyrics always seemed much more grounded than their hard rock contemporaries. Lots of blue collar type themes of struggle love, loss, in amongst the standard sex drugs and rock n roll type stuff. Their music has an actual warmth to it I guess. It's not endless cock rock sausage fest.

This song makes me tear up m8 :cry:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 4:08am
Early Ultravox was a little bit punky i think, or punkier anyway, definitely before midge came on board.

I love Lizzy but never made that connection to the Clash. Trying to think of songs i might hear it, maybe Sound of the Sinners and stuff like that is closest? Rory Gallagher, another great irish soul/bluesman also had a big connection to the Pistols, though musically i never really put them together either though. Interesting to think of it in that context all the same.

This could be on cost of living EP... a lot of the western outlaw imagery is similar between the clash and lizzy.
It's a close cousin of Another Girl, Another Planet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 4:08am
Early Ultravox was a little bit punky i think, or punkier anyway, definitely before midge came on board.

I love Lizzy but never made that connection to the Clash. Trying to think of songs i might hear it, maybe Sound of the Sinners and stuff like that is closest? Rory Gallagher, another great irish soul/bluesman also had a big connection to the Pistols, though musically i never really put them together either though. Interesting to think of it in that context all the same.

This could be on cost of living EP... a lot of the western outlaw imagery is similar between the clash and lizzy.
You're right there, there's a very common link in terms of imagery and use of mythology. The difference I'd see is that for the clash, joe in particular, it was more a form of escapism whereas i think Phil did really identify with the characters he wrote about in songs like Renegade or Southbound and the pain they were experiencing. Two great rock songwriters in their own way but i think phil put a lot more of himself into his songs than joe ever did, he often wrote more like a bluesman than a rock singer. Trying to imagine joe ever writing a song like Sarah and it's impossible, maybe later in life but still not seeing it.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

While we're on the subject of Thin Lizzy, this BBC doc 'Bad Reputation' from 2011 is good.

Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Listened to Nightlife earlier today and reminded myself why it's probably my favourite Lizzy album. The live tracks are phenomenal of course but it's easy to forget just how great the studio Sha La La and Still In Love versions are too.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 2:30pm
Listened to Nightlife earlier today and reminded myself why it's probably my favourite Lizzy album. The live tracks are phenomenal of course but it's easy to forget just how great the studio Sha La La and Still In Love versions are too.
It's a great album, if a bit on the quiet side. Very warm and soulful sounding. Quite underrated in their catalogue.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 3:33pm
Low Down Low wrote:
It's a great album, if a bit on the quiet side. Very warm and soulful sounding. Quite underrated in their catalogue.
Phil’s solo albums are great for indulging in the more soulful side of things. Solo in soho is a fantastic record.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Always way underrated in my eyes, even by Lizzy fans. I used to share a flat with a couple of Lizzy diehards back in the day and they'd look at me funny when I'd tell them Nightlife was my fav Lizzy album, kind of how staunch Van Morrison fans would look when I'd claim to be a Van fan who didn't really "get" Astral Weeks. I guess i just liked being an ornery fucker sometimes.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:31pm
Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Always way underrated in my eyes, even by Lizzy fans. I used to share a flat with a couple of Lizzy diehards back in the day and they'd look at me funny when I'd tell them Nightlife was my fav Lizzy album, kind of how staunch Van Morrison fans would look when I'd claim to be a Van fan who didn't really "get" Astral Weeks. I guess i just liked being an ornery fucker sometimes.
I actually really even like their folkier stuff. Those first two records were great. Songwriting wise maybe nothing amazing but Lynott is such a good fucking frontman and his gravely delivery just sends it home for me; really well suited for that more pastoral style.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Certainly their bluesiest album, if that is even a word. I guess Lizzy diehards will probably lean more towards the strictly rock/metal stuff a la Jailbreak. Me, I have a hard time picking a favourite album. So many great entries to choose from. But Nightlife would surely be in my Top 5.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 11:01am
Low Down Low wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Certainly their bluesiest album, if that is even a word. I guess Lizzy diehards will probably lean more towards the strictly rock/metal stuff a la Jailbreak. Me, I have a hard time picking a favourite album. So many great entries to choose from. But Nightlife would surely be in my Top 5.
Great band. My faves are Jailbreak/Live & Dangerous/Black Rose. But all their albums up to and including Chinatown have their charm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

As this is a GEER thread I'll leave this here.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/thi ... s-box-set/
Attachments
thinlizzy_rocklegends600-1.jpg
thinlizzy_rocklegends600-1.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 1454 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 2:56pm

I’m mighty tempted but I’m afraid my CD collection mostly collects dust these days. I have the complete funhouse sessions boxset for example and it’s kind of nice and pretty to look at but I don’t really ever listen to it much...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I’m mighty tempted but I’m afraid my CD collection mostly collects dust these days. I have the complete funhouse sessions boxset for example and it’s kind of nice and pretty to look at but I don’t really ever listen to it much...
Was very tempted by the complete funhouse but there are so many similar takes of the same track that I wouldn't play it so i just got a two disc edition and that satisfies my needs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:

That one's sitting on my shelf, still in shrink wrap. The download gets played a lot though.