Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 12:48pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:41am
Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 10:18am
I feel like we've hit some sort of tipping point round these parts. I noticed more than a few people ditching the mask this past weekend. The weather has started to get decent, people are moving about more. I stopped at a gas station this morning and very few people were masked up. I also don't know how much I actually care. You can't really babysit adults. Everyone in my immediate family has had at least their 1st shot.
Yeah, Colorado lifted its statewide mask mandate on Sunday. Luckily, vaccinations are going pretty well but we've definitely hit a wall. People know most high-risk folks have had access to shots for a few months now and the general population is starting to queue. I think a lot of people who were complying because they were mostly worried about infecting a grandma or frontline worker or something are entering "fuck it" territory. Knowing they'll probably be vaccinated soon seems to have the counterintuitive result of making people a little less cautious, not more.

I'd like to see people try to hang on for like the few more weeks it'll take to actually get protected, but I get that isn't really how regular human psychology works. I just hope the vax distribution works fast enough that it'll paper things over mostly.
Yup. I’m getting the first jab in about 24 hours, and the next one 3 weeks later. Will be about 5-6 weeks yet before that offers any protection. We really need to buckle down for a couple more months at least to keep the more dangerous or vaccine-resistant strains from gaining a foothold.
I get my second one on Wednesday. I have had moments where I felt a little invincible, but then I try and bring myself back down to Earth.
That’s great. The pace of vaccinations has really picked up in the US. NY is now vaccinating anyone over 30. I can’t wait to be fully vaccinated. I worry about the way-to-large segment of the population though who flat out refuse to get vaccinated. Seems like that group has the potential to just be a breeding ground for more dangerous strains that the current vaccines can’t protect against, and then we’re all back to square one in September.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Another month-long stay-at-home order coming today from the province, who continue to fuck this whole thing up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 9:20am
Another month-long stay-at-home order coming today from the province, who continue to fuck this whole thing up.

Dougie's COVID strategy is cribbed from old Bullwinkle cartoons.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I got my 2nd dose yesterday and man, it kicked my butt. I felt fine most of the day, but around 6 I started feeling tired and listless. I went to bed at 8 and by 9 I was feeling really awful. It was like having the flu: muscle aches, headache, fever/chills, congestion. I'd fall asleep for 45 minutes and then wake up and toss and turn for an hour or two. At some point early this morning it all started to pass, but I still feel off. I'm really tired (which is probably from sleeping so poorly).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 8:14am
I got my 2nd dose yesterday and man, it kicked my butt. I felt fine most of the day, but around 6 I started feeling tired and listless. I went to bed at 8 and by 9 I was feeling really awful. It was like having the flu: muscle aches, headache, fever/chills, congestion. I'd fall asleep for 45 minutes and then wake up and toss and turn for an hour or two. At some point early this morning it all started to pass, but I still feel off. I'm really tired (which is probably from sleeping so poorly).
Interesting. And that wasn't your experience with the first round? Is that common that the booster fucks people up more than the initial shot?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 8:45am
WestwayKid wrote:
Interesting. And that wasn't your experience with the first round? Is that common that the booster fucks people up more than the initial shot?
Zero side effects with the first round. I had been told that the second one could be rougher, but I was really taken by surprise as to how rough it ended up being. I've read it's not a bad thing to have side effects as it means that the vaccination has stimulated an immune reponse.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Zero side effects with the first round. I had been told that the second one could be rougher, but I was really taken by surprise as to how rough it ended up being. I've read it's not a bad thing to have side effects as it means that the vaccination has stimulated an immune reponse.
Ah, gotcha. Congrats on getting thru the year and both rounds of shots. Thank you, President Trump!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah feeling like shit after the 2nd shot is pretty common.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I've heard the same thing about the 2nd dose. After the 1st dose, your body is somewhat familiar with the virus, so when you get the 2nd one, it's all hand on deck to kick some butt to prevent it.
Everybody reacts differently, I know a few who felt badly after the 1st & 2nd dose, others including my 80+ year old aunt, no problems at all.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:26am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I've heard the same thing about the 2nd dose. After the 1st dose, your body is somewhat familiar with the virus, so when you get the 2nd one, it's all hand on deck to kick some butt to prevent it.
Everybody reacts differently, I know a few who felt badly after the 1st & 2nd dose, others including my 80+ year old aunt, no problems at all.
Great that you got the second shot WWK. After my first shot, I had no reaction except that 12 hours later, just before I went to sleep, I noticed that my shoulder had finally begun to feel sore. I’ve heard similar stories about the second shot causing a harsher reaction, and I’ve read (and as Sparky has mentioned) that it is your immune system kicking into higher gear, devoting more energy to the defense, as it identifies the threat as a recurring thing worthy of the increased attention. Supposedly that’s the reasoning behind the 2-dose regimen, as it really boosts the immune capabilities. My parents got the same Pfizer vaccine I did, but had no reaction after either shot other than soreness. The reactions tend to be harsher in younger people with healthier immune systems.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:07am
Inder wrote:

I could just scream

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I got my 2nd shot on Wednesday in the left arm. That evening, I played 2.5 hours of tennis (right-handed; decent level of play). No issues at all. I hope everyone gets their vaccine without any problems.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 1:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:07am
Inder wrote:

I could just scream

Reminds me of someone who responded to economists taking the wider, abstract view that ignored the human cost, "Well, in the long run we're all dead."

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 2:15pm
Hello,

I got my 2nd shot on Wednesday in the left arm. That evening, I played 2.5 hours of tennis (right-handed; decent level of play). No issues at all. I hope everyone gets their vaccine without any problems.
Congratulations! Pfizer or Moderna? I'm convinced that your exercising the arm that got the injection helped to prevent it some of the soreness, worked for my wife and I as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 2:47pm
gkbill wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 2:15pm
Hello,

Congratulations! Pfizer or Moderna? I'm convinced that your exercising the arm that got the injection helped to prevent it some of the soreness, worked for my wife and I as well.
Appropriate content: https://local.theonion.com/vaccine-dose ... 1846607300