What did the Clash think of Joy Division/the Post Punk Scene

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What did the Clash think of Joy Division/the Post Punk Scene

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 11:08pm
Dockers has it covered:

Love and loyalty, hatred and stupidity.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 7:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:19pm
Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 5:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:59pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 3:19pm
I've often wonder what they thought of Britpop as well. Perhaps Joe Strummer thought Liam Gallagher was a bit of a dunce? Or working class hero?
Would guess he was ok with it, or at least albarn, pulp etc anyway. And doing England's irie and hanging out with Keith Allen and that crowd, wouldn't have thought that was a million miles from the whole britpop scene tbh.
And Antony Genn, of course.
Of course, and I'd say bar tymon, most of the mescaleroes probably had their initial musical roots in britpop one way or another. So whatever about the rest of the clash, you'd have to think joe at least was comfortable with it anyway.
Funnily enough Tymon (Timon) Dogg was the original britpopper.

"The Bitter Thoughts of Little Jane" featuring then-session musicians Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Moving to Apple Records, Dogg recorded tracks produced by Peter Asher featuring Paul McCartney on piano and James Taylor on guitar.

This song is so damn good and shows how talented Tymon was from the start. I love it.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 4:13am
Can’t seem to recall ever reading any mention of this. Anyone know what sort of opinion they held? I would think they self pitying nature of the music would run counter to what they believed at the time.
I was actually wondering the same thing recently. I'd love to come across any interviews from back then where they were asked about any of those bands. I know the story about The Clash and New Order staying at the same hotel in New York when NO first came to America and had all of their gear stolen, so we know The Clash were well aware of them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 4:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Would guess he was ok with it, or at least albarn, pulp etc anyway. And doing England's irie and hanging out with Keith Allen and that crowd, wouldn't have thought that was a million miles from the whole britpop scene tbh.
Of course, and I'd say bar tymon, most of the mescaleroes probably had their initial musical roots in britpop one way or another. So whatever about the rest of the clash, you'd have to think joe at least was comfortable with it anyway.

"The Bitter Thoughts of Little Jane" featuring then-session musicians Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Moving to Apple Records, Dogg recorded tracks produced by Peter Asher featuring Paul McCartney on piano and James Taylor on guitar.

This song is so damn good and shows how talented Tymon was from the start. I love it.
I agree I think it's a gem of a track. Tymon went on to work with the Moody Blues and a certain Mr. McCartney afterwards.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I agree I think it's a gem of a track. Tymon went on to work with the Moody Blues and a certain Mr. McCartney afterwards.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 4:50pm
appleseed1 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:

Jesse?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 3:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 4:50pm
appleseed1 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Jesse?
Well don't that just beat all. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia