Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

RockaPhillyClash wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 1:37pm
You are on to something Ho' Combat Rock should had a 'party' side, led off by Radio Clash, and a 'cinematic' side lead off by STH; along the lines of what Kool & the Gang attempted with their Wild & Peaceful album or the Temptations achieved with their 'A Song for You' LP. Side 1: RC, Car Jamming, SISOSIG, Beautiful People, RTC, Overpowered (while unimpressive, works in this format) Side 2: STH, Atom Tan, Sean Flynn, Inoculated City (Rat Patrol), Ghetto Defendant & Ist Night Back; That's correct group thinkers 1st Night back to close it out over Death is a Star. Roughly 24-min per side. Long Time Jerk & Know Your Rights go undrafted
Idk know your rights is arguably their best album opener aside from LC. That side A I listed would be absolutely all killer no filler. The frustrating thing about Combat Rock is the flow of the tracklisting. Joe and Bernie neutered it so much for Pop Crossover Appeal yet ended up throwing on shit like Death is A Star instead of Beautiful People or Radio Clash. I do agree the final shortened mixes are better on some stuff. But I agree with Mick's overall vision of another double. Although obviously the record company would have nixed it. This is the Rat Patrol Re Arranged version I came up with:

1.Know your Rights
2.Radio Clash
3.Should I Stay
4.RTC
5.Straight to Hell
6.Beautiful People
7.Car Jamming
8.Ghetto Defendant
9.Atom Tan
10. Inoculated city
11.Overpowered by Funk
12. Cool Confusion
13. Kill Time
14. Red Angel
15. Long Time Jerk
16. Walk Evil Talk
17. First Night Back
18.Midnight to Stevens
19.Death is A Star
20.Sean Flynn

This way the album becomes increasingly more cinematic as you said, but those first 10 songs are all put up front for maximum accessibility. I can't quite fathom why they left off Radio Clash besides them finding it redundant. I know that's part of the philosophy behind why Joe refused to ever release a live record with the band. Idk if this is my fanboyism but I would consider that album to be something of a classic if it had been released. I really feel like the latter part of the Clash's career deserves critical re evaluation. This whole narrative of S/T and LC being the only real accomplishments of the band is complete fuckery.

Edited: added midnight to stevens after being informed by Heston that it’s a CR outtake.
Last edited by RockNRollWhore on 03 May 2021, 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.

RockaPhillyClash
Corner Soul
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Feb 2020, 10:54am

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockaPhillyClash »

Non-LP singles weren't a big part of the American market. We bought albums. The singles rack was for the Terry Jacks & Starland Vocal Bands of the world. Expensive import 45s doesn't sound like something Joe would have embraced, yet he did. Not to mention, I'm not too sure how redundant Radio Clash could have been when it didn't get any play here and barely makes a dent on the British charts. I agree there's a classic LP from their Combat Rat Patrol era (the song selection & running order are significant problems), how wrong are you when Dragnet makes the cut and the Beautiful People is still in the green room. There's absolutely a classic Sandinista LP (3 sides original, including bank robber & 1 side strictly remixes). Rope could have easily been their best had they sat tight for few months and included all four tracks from Extra Power EP + Crush on You. Rude Boy should have come out as a double live single, with Mick doing his best Peter Frampton pose for the cover. Rude Boys Come Alive!

That said, I became a fan shortly before London Calling came out. Pretty sure it was Police & Thieves that got my attention on a broadcast of the King Biscuit Hour. Saw every Philly Show from that point forward + two mini-road trips: Asbury Park (cherry bomb night) & SUNY Binghampton. So I didn't enter through the door of '77. First time I ever heard Safe European Home was live at the Tower Theater in 1980. It was so loud and cacophonous that I thought it was some kind of white noise intro.

I have never made it past the one-minute mark of Walk Evil Walk, I can't imagine I'm missing anything?

RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

RockaPhillyClash wrote:
02 May 2021, 10:45pm
Non-LP singles weren't a big part of the American market. We bought albums. The singles rack was for the Terry Jacks & Starland Vocal Bands of the world. Expensive import 45s doesn't sound like something Joe would have embraced, yet he did. Not to mention, I'm not too sure how redundant Radio Clash could have been when it didn't get any play here and barely makes a dent on the British charts. I agree there's a classic LP from their Combat Rat Patrol era (the song selection & running order are significant problems), how wrong are you when Dragnet makes the cut and the Beautiful People is still in the green room. There's absolutely a classic Sandinista LP (3 sides original, including bank robber & 1 side strictly remixes). Rope could have easily been their best had they sat tight for few months and included all four tracks from Extra Power EP + Crush on You. Rude Boy should have come out as a double live single, with Mick doing his best Peter Frampton pose for the cover. Rude Boys Come Alive!

That said, I became a fan shortly before London Calling came out. Pretty sure it was Police & Thieves that got my attention on a broadcast of the King Biscuit Hour. Saw every Philly Show from that point forward + two mini-road trips: Asbury Park (cherry bomb night) & SUNY Binghampton. So I didn't enter through the door of '77. First time I ever heard Safe European Home was live at the Tower Theater in 1980. It was so loud and cacophonous that I thought it was some kind of white noise intro.

I have never made it past the one-minute mark of Walk Evil Walk, I can't imagine I'm missing anything?
Yeah when I did my condensed version of Sandanista I came up with this:

1.Magnificent Seven
2.The Leader
3.Bankrobber
4.Hitsville UK
5.Something About England
6.Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
7.One More Time
8.The Call Up
9.Ivan Meets GI Joe
10.Somebody got Murdered
11.Police on my Back
12.Washington Bullets
13.Charlie Don't Surf
14.Midnight to Stevens
15.Broadway
16.Street Parade
17.Menforths Hill (Yes it works great as an album closer)

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36466
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 May 2021, 11:52pm
RockaPhillyClash wrote:
02 May 2021, 10:45pm
Non-LP singles weren't a big part of the American market. We bought albums. The singles rack was for the Terry Jacks & Starland Vocal Bands of the world. Expensive import 45s doesn't sound like something Joe would have embraced, yet he did. Not to mention, I'm not too sure how redundant Radio Clash could have been when it didn't get any play here and barely makes a dent on the British charts. I agree there's a classic LP from their Combat Rat Patrol era (the song selection & running order are significant problems), how wrong are you when Dragnet makes the cut and the Beautiful People is still in the green room. There's absolutely a classic Sandinista LP (3 sides original, including bank robber & 1 side strictly remixes). Rope could have easily been their best had they sat tight for few months and included all four tracks from Extra Power EP + Crush on You. Rude Boy should have come out as a double live single, with Mick doing his best Peter Frampton pose for the cover. Rude Boys Come Alive!

That said, I became a fan shortly before London Calling came out. Pretty sure it was Police & Thieves that got my attention on a broadcast of the King Biscuit Hour. Saw every Philly Show from that point forward + two mini-road trips: Asbury Park (cherry bomb night) & SUNY Binghampton. So I didn't enter through the door of '77. First time I ever heard Safe European Home was live at the Tower Theater in 1980. It was so loud and cacophonous that I thought it was some kind of white noise intro.

I have never made it past the one-minute mark of Walk Evil Walk, I can't imagine I'm missing anything?
Yeah when I did my condensed version of Sandanista I came up with this:

1.Magnificent Seven
2.The Leader
3.Bankrobber
4.Hitsville UK
5.Something About England
6.Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
7.One More Time
8.The Call Up
9.Ivan Meets GI Joe
10.Somebody got Murdered
11.Police on my Back
12.Washington Bullets
13.Charlie Don't Surf
14.Midnight to Stevens
15.Broadway
16.Street Parade
17.Menforths Hill (Yes it works great as an album closer)
My tester for anyone making a condensed Sandinista is have you included Corner Soul and Let's Go Crazy. You have unfortunately missed both. And Midnight To Stevens was from the Combat Rock sessions.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:13am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 May 2021, 11:52pm
RockaPhillyClash wrote:
02 May 2021, 10:45pm
Non-LP singles weren't a big part of the American market. We bought albums. The singles rack was for the Terry Jacks & Starland Vocal Bands of the world. Expensive import 45s doesn't sound like something Joe would have embraced, yet he did. Not to mention, I'm not too sure how redundant Radio Clash could have been when it didn't get any play here and barely makes a dent on the British charts. I agree there's a classic LP from their Combat Rat Patrol era (the song selection & running order are significant problems), how wrong are you when Dragnet makes the cut and the Beautiful People is still in the green room. There's absolutely a classic Sandinista LP (3 sides original, including bank robber & 1 side strictly remixes). Rope could have easily been their best had they sat tight for few months and included all four tracks from Extra Power EP + Crush on You. Rude Boy should have come out as a double live single, with Mick doing his best Peter Frampton pose for the cover. Rude Boys Come Alive!

That said, I became a fan shortly before London Calling came out. Pretty sure it was Police & Thieves that got my attention on a broadcast of the King Biscuit Hour. Saw every Philly Show from that point forward + two mini-road trips: Asbury Park (cherry bomb night) & SUNY Binghampton. So I didn't enter through the door of '77. First time I ever heard Safe European Home was live at the Tower Theater in 1980. It was so loud and cacophonous that I thought it was some kind of white noise intro.

I have never made it past the one-minute mark of Walk Evil Walk, I can't imagine I'm missing anything?
Yeah when I did my condensed version of Sandanista I came up with this:

1.Magnificent Seven
2.The Leader
3.Bankrobber
4.Hitsville UK
5.Something About England
6.Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
7.One More Time
8.The Call Up
9.Ivan Meets GI Joe
10.Somebody got Murdered
11.Police on my Back
12.Washington Bullets
13.Charlie Don't Surf
14.Midnight to Stevens
15.Broadway
16.Street Parade
17.Menforths Hill (Yes it works great as an album closer)
My tester for anyone making a condensed Sandinista is have you included Corner Soul and Let's Go Crazy. You have unfortunately missed both. And Midnight To Stevens was from the Combat Rock sessions.
Throw corner Soul in there then in place of. Never was crazy about let’s go crazy.

Edit: Actually fucking scratch that what am I talking about I love let’s go crazy. I got that confused in my head.

RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:13am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 May 2021, 11:52pm
RockaPhillyClash wrote:
02 May 2021, 10:45pm
Non-LP singles weren't a big part of the American market. We bought albums. The singles rack was for the Terry Jacks & Starland Vocal Bands of the world. Expensive import 45s doesn't sound like something Joe would have embraced, yet he did. Not to mention, I'm not too sure how redundant Radio Clash could have been when it didn't get any play here and barely makes a dent on the British charts. I agree there's a classic LP from their Combat Rat Patrol era (the song selection & running order are significant problems), how wrong are you when Dragnet makes the cut and the Beautiful People is still in the green room. There's absolutely a classic Sandinista LP (3 sides original, including bank robber & 1 side strictly remixes). Rope could have easily been their best had they sat tight for few months and included all four tracks from Extra Power EP + Crush on You. Rude Boy should have come out as a double live single, with Mick doing his best Peter Frampton pose for the cover. Rude Boys Come Alive!

That said, I became a fan shortly before London Calling came out. Pretty sure it was Police & Thieves that got my attention on a broadcast of the King Biscuit Hour. Saw every Philly Show from that point forward + two mini-road trips: Asbury Park (cherry bomb night) & SUNY Binghampton. So I didn't enter through the door of '77. First time I ever heard Safe European Home was live at the Tower Theater in 1980. It was so loud and cacophonous that I thought it was some kind of white noise intro.

I have never made it past the one-minute mark of Walk Evil Walk, I can't imagine I'm missing anything?
Yeah when I did my condensed version of Sandanista I came up with this:

1.Magnificent Seven
2.The Leader
3.Bankrobber
4.Hitsville UK
5.Something About England
6.Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
7.One More Time
8.The Call Up
9.Ivan Meets GI Joe
10.Somebody got Murdered
11.Police on my Back
12.Washington Bullets
13.Charlie Don't Surf
14.Midnight to Stevens
15.Broadway
16.Street Parade
17.Menforths Hill (Yes it works great as an album closer)
My tester for anyone making a condensed Sandinista is have you included Corner Soul and Let's Go Crazy. You have unfortunately missed both. And Midnight To Stevens was from the Combat Rock sessions.
What’s your Sandanista track listing?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36466
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:36am
What’s your Sandanista track listing?
I kind of made my ideal Sandinista last year and put it on soundcloud. All the info is here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12509
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:51am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:36am
What’s your Sandanista track listing?
I kind of made my ideal Sandinista last year and put it on soundcloud. All the info is here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12509
Midnight Log is on the same level as Junkie Slip for me lol. Otherwise great work. I’m really impressed by the way you’ve trimmed down all the excess fat on the tracks you’ve included.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36466
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:51am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:36am
What’s your Sandanista track listing?
I kind of made my ideal Sandinista last year and put it on soundcloud. All the info is here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12509
Midnight Log is on the same level as Junkie Slip for me lol. Otherwise great work. I’m really impressed by the way you’ve trimmed down all the excess fat on the tracks you’ve included.
The Clash's sequencing of the album almost felt like wilful sabotage. It will never be a commercial album but I think this showed it could be a lot less unwieldy than it ended up.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

RockNRollWhore
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 416
Joined: 16 Mar 2021, 9:01pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by RockNRollWhore »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:03am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:51am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 9:36am
What’s your Sandanista track listing?
I kind of made my ideal Sandinista last year and put it on soundcloud. All the info is here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12509
Midnight Log is on the same level as Junkie Slip for me lol. Otherwise great work. I’m really impressed by the way you’ve trimmed down all the excess fat on the tracks you’ve included.
The Clash's sequencing of the album almost felt like wilful sabotage. It will never be a commercial album but I think this showed it could be a lot less unwieldy than it ended up.
I think it could have been a hell of a lot more accessible with some proper editing. You are right on that one. With that being said, I’m glad it was released the way it was. While it is frustrating that it gets dismissed due to its size, I really do believe there is a classic double LP in there. Part of the fun is making your own track list and sequencing up. I still don’t understand why bank robber was omitted though.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13634
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:13am
My tester for anyone making a condensed Sandinista is have you included Corner Soul and Let's Go Crazy. You have unfortunately missed both. And Midnight To Stevens was from the Combat Rock sessions.
A rare Hestory.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50059
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Marky Dread »

So this thread starts of with The Clash then goes all soggy with KISS and stuff about hair bands then back to The Clash.

Just about right for here I'd say. ;)

Oh and my version of Sandinista! is best because I said so, so there!
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36466
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 May 2021, 4:56am
Oh and my version of Sandinista! is best because I said so, so there!
Different beasts really. I believe both can happily exist side by side. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50059
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 5:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 May 2021, 4:56am
Oh and my version of Sandinista! is best because I said so, so there!
Different beasts really. I believe both can happily exist side by side. ;)
No mine and only mine! I must win because I know best!

But yeah loads of versions work. ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

YoungParisians
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 123
Joined: 27 Feb 2017, 12:53pm

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by YoungParisians »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 9:35pm
This is what I thought up

1.The Bottom Line
2. Are you red...Y
3. Three Card Trick
4. V Thirteen
5. In the Pouring Rain (84” Live Style)
6. We Are The Clash
7. This Is England
8. Sudden Impact
9. Movers and Shakers
10. Medicine Show
11. North and South

Watchu think
LP6 is so tricky if we approach it from the context of summer 1983. I think it would have been a classic songwriter's split - Mick's on one side, Joe's (plus requisite Paul track) on the other. Mick's Hell W10 music was dismissed by Joe. Joe struggled with the Clash's musical & public identity thus 'reverting' back to a 77 ethos. Where they successfully united their varied tastes on LC/S!, they seemed out of sync by 83. Plus tensions being what they were, the slow pace of activity, everyone missing each other at the rehearsal room, etc., I just imagine it being a very fractured LP. Also, wonder how the issue of "who is going to produce?" would have played out.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Post Reply