No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 519
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Sparky »

US Olympic karate team member gets an earful from a passerby while she's working out in a park in Orange, CA. Imagine the surprise this sorry excuse for a human would have been in for had he attempted to follow up on his threats that he made toward her.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/08/sakura-k ... sian-hate/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50053
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread »

Well-timed racism is so much better than ill-timed racism. :rolleyes:
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 519
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Sparky »

Sparky wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 4:04pm
US Olympic karate team member gets an earful from a passerby while she's working out in a park in Orange, CA. Imagine the surprise this sorry excuse for a human would have been in for had he attempted to follow up on his threats that he made toward her.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/08/sakura-k ... sian-hate/
Turns out the guy that harassed the Olympic karate team member above has been arrested for attacking an elderly Korean couple in the same park yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/el ... plocalnews

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13634
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 6:16pm
Sparky wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 4:04pm
US Olympic karate team member gets an earful from a passerby while she's working out in a park in Orange, CA. Imagine the surprise this sorry excuse for a human would have been in for had he attempted to follow up on his threats that he made toward her.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/08/sakura-k ... sian-hate/
Turns out the guy that harassed the Olympic karate team member above has been arrested for attacking an elderly Korean couple in the same park yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/el ... plocalnews
The future looks very grim from here.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 6:16pm
Sparky wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 4:04pm
US Olympic karate team member gets an earful from a passerby while she's working out in a park in Orange, CA. Imagine the surprise this sorry excuse for a human would have been in for had he attempted to follow up on his threats that he made toward her.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/08/sakura-k ... sian-hate/
Turns out the guy that harassed the Olympic karate team member above has been arrested for attacking an elderly Korean couple in the same park yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/el ... plocalnews
Ah, 2008, when America declared itself to be a post-race society. Speaking as a historian, beware any attitude that says we have escaped history in any way.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 519
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Sparky »

Unbelievable. Louisiana Republican Ray Garofalo believes schools should teach "the good, the bad, the ugly" when they discuss slavery.
I must have been stoned the day they covered "the good" when I was in school, because I can't recall any part of it.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-slavery/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:11pm
Unbelievable. Louisiana Republican Ray Garofalo believes schools should teach "the good, the bad, the ugly" when they discuss slavery.
I must have been stoned the day they covered "the good" when I was in school, because I can't recall any part of it.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-slavery/
I'm going to be a lot more nuanced here than dumblefuck, but a proper understanding of life under slavery does require something more than a caricature of unrelenting horror. The good that emerged—modes of expression, traditions of resilience—was in spite of slavery, not virtues of it. Teaching that should never be used in a way that says, "See, it wasn't all bad" or "It was worth it because we got rock n roll," but to reinforce the idea that even amidst dehumanizing circumstances for centuries, African Americans built a culture to maintain dignity, a sense of moral justice, and wide kinship networks.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 16859
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:22pm
Sparky wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:11pm
Unbelievable. Louisiana Republican Ray Garofalo believes schools should teach "the good, the bad, the ugly" when they discuss slavery.
I must have been stoned the day they covered "the good" when I was in school, because I can't recall any part of it.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-slavery/
I'm going to be a lot more nuanced here than dumblefuck, but a proper understanding of life under slavery does require something more than a caricature of unrelenting horror. The good that emerged—modes of expression, traditions of resilience—was in spite of slavery, not virtues of it. Teaching that should never be used in a way that says, "See, it wasn't all bad" or "It was worth it because we got rock n roll," but to reinforce the idea that even amidst dehumanizing circumstances for centuries, African Americans built a culture to maintain dignity, a sense of moral justice, and wide kinship networks.
Slavery was an unrelenting horror, human beings are wonderful?
Wave bye bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23000
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:11pm
Unbelievable. Louisiana Republican Ray Garofalo believes schools should teach "the good, the bad, the ugly" when they discuss slavery.
I must have been stoned the day they covered "the good" when I was in school, because I can't recall any part of it.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-slavery/
Her response and the laughter from the audience was great.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:22pm
Sparky wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:11pm
Unbelievable. Louisiana Republican Ray Garofalo believes schools should teach "the good, the bad, the ugly" when they discuss slavery.
I must have been stoned the day they covered "the good" when I was in school, because I can't recall any part of it.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-slavery/
I'm going to be a lot more nuanced here than dumblefuck, but a proper understanding of life under slavery does require something more than a caricature of unrelenting horror. The good that emerged—modes of expression, traditions of resilience—was in spite of slavery, not virtues of it. Teaching that should never be used in a way that says, "See, it wasn't all bad" or "It was worth it because we got rock n roll," but to reinforce the idea that even amidst dehumanizing circumstances for centuries, African Americans built a culture to maintain dignity, a sense of moral justice, and wide kinship networks.
Slavery was an unrelenting horror, human beings are wonderful?
More that human beings have an amazing capacity to adapt to endure cruelty (and some have an amazing capacity to rationalize their own cruelty), yet still maintain an awareness of the injustice and immorality. So when we read or teach the history of slavery, it's important to not continue the dehumanization that the slaveholders pursued by ignoring how the enslaved survived and the often subtle ways of resisting. Those traditions are also a legacy of slavery. That's not the good of slavery, as that asshole would have us think, but some value that emerges from coping and resisting it.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Essay on the creation of whiteness and race more generally: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... erous-idea
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23000
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 3:34pm
Essay on the creation of whiteness and race more generally: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... erous-idea
Took me awhile to get through, but that was a good read. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to move beyond the hundreds of years of pseudo-science. I find the genetic comparisons to be a compelling argument (ie lack of genetic differences).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95024
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 3:34pm
Essay on the creation of whiteness and race more generally: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... erous-idea
Took me awhile to get through, but that was a good read. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to move beyond the hundreds of years of pseudo-science. I find the genetic comparisons to be a compelling argument (ie lack of genetic differences).
It's a very long game. It won't happen in our lifetime, but if narratives of race can achieve truth over time, they can also be discredited over time. If it's any comfort, a number of precepts of racism—biological racism—have taken major hits since the 1950s. When racism is justified or rationalized, it's now something more akin to culture than biology. Which does demonstrate that these ideas are fluid and can be overcome.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23000
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 3:34pm
Essay on the creation of whiteness and race more generally: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... erous-idea
Took me awhile to get through, but that was a good read. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to move beyond the hundreds of years of pseudo-science. I find the genetic comparisons to be a compelling argument (ie lack of genetic differences).
It's a very long game. It won't happen in our lifetime, but if narratives of race can achieve truth over time, they can also be discredited over time. If it's any comfort, a number of precepts of racism—biological racism—have taken major hits since the 1950s. When racism is justified or rationalized, it's now something more akin to culture than biology. Which does demonstrate that these ideas are fluid and can be overcome.
I wonder if 23andme and Ancestry are helping dispel the myth of racial purity. I found out I was 0.6% sub-Saharan African for example. So yeah, I'm not going to go around saying the N word, but it goes to show that even the whitest of whites (ie me) isn't "pure."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Post Reply