Video: Joe Strummer on Portobello Road in 1990

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Video: Joe Strummer on Portobello Road in 1990

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Video: Joe Strummer on Portobello Road in 1990

Post by Sparky »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:28pm
Good find, I've never seen this one before, thanks.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Here's another clip from the same source, with Joe getting the first 45 or so seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqcoUofsKkc

I'm curious what Portobello Pirate TV was. Some type of local access thing? Don't know how works in the UK, but I'd love to hear the full scoop on that.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
04 May 2021, 1:58am
Here's another clip from the same source, with Joe getting the first 45 or so seconds:

I'm curious what Portobello Pirate TV was. Some type of local access thing? Don't know how works in the UK, but I'd love to hear the full scoop on that.
I can't really help with much info about Portobello Pirate TV other than I believe that the Welsh guy interviewing Joe Ray 'Roughler' Jones was behind the TV channel. Below are a couple of links with some info about him. The first contains a cool Joe related anecdote and the second a song that Joe produced for him.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... hy-1902975

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
04 May 2021, 1:58am

Thanks for that. So, 1988 not 1990?

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

You're welcome. Yeah, I mean, that's what the guy's got in the heading, and in the description copy -- so I'm assuming he has the date right, though you can't always, of course.

Anyway, it's a nifty little clip, in light of the subject matter, especially. Judging by what the guy's got posted on his YT page, Portobello Pirate TV did some interesting things. Thanks for the links, I'm probably gonna do a bit more digging myself, to see what else, if anything, I can find out.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
04 May 2021, 11:13pm
You're welcome. Yeah, I mean, that's what the guy's got in the heading, and in the description copy -- so I'm assuming he has the date right, though you can't always, of course.

Anyway, it's a nifty little clip, in light of the subject matter, especially. Judging by what the guy's got posted on his YT page, Portobello Pirate TV did some interesting things. Thanks for the links, I'm probably gonna do a bit more digging myself, to see what else, if anything, I can find out.
Portobello People's TV, who uploaded that short clip I mentioned, just published the same video in the link you provided.