What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:32am
Professionals_DidntSeeIt.jpg

An album I never get tired of hearing.
It's a good listen. Such a shame it was produced by Nigel Gray and not Bill Price.

The early singles had so much more clout.
I agree. The CD is rounded out with some of the early singles and you really can hear the difference. A track like Just Another Dream sounds so full and powerful.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 6:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:32am
Professionals_DidntSeeIt.jpg

An album I never get tired of hearing.
It's a good listen. Such a shame it was produced by Nigel Gray and not Bill Price.

The early singles had so much more clout.
I agree. The CD is rounded out with some of the early singles and you really can hear the difference. A track like Just Another Dream sounds so full and powerful.
Yeah that's it mate. I've got that cd and also the complete box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low_i_could_live_in_hope.jpg
Low_i_could_live_in_hope.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A Weezer record where Weezer perform Weezer songs. It has an 80s pop metal bent to it—mainly on the solos—but it's not all that distinct in any way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:43pm
A Weezer record where Weezer perform Weezer songs. It has an 80s pop metal bent to it—mainly on the solos—but it's not all that distinct in any way.
That's an awful album sleeve. Maybe that's the point.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i never thought it would be possible for weezer to make an album i'd be less interested in hearing that like the last half dozen of their albums, but they found away, dammit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh yeah, it's evoking cheesy metal. Between this and the 80s cover record, they seem to be pigeonholing themselves as a parody band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh yeah, it's evoking cheesy metal. Between this and the 80s cover record, they seem to be pigeonholing themselves as a parody band.
Why? They are (were) good at what they do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree. I'd never call myself a Weezer fan—I could pick out Rivers Cuomo (and know his name) from a line-up and that's it—but am generally good with two or three songs per record. They're solid power pop, a fun three-minute sugar rush. Sorry to approvingly quote Mike Love, but stick to the fucking formula.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:53pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I hadn't heard them until the latest copy of Uncut. The CD is a collection of Dylan covers. Their version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door is very nice indeed.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

laxman wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I hadn't heard them until the latest copy of Uncut. The CD is a collection of Dylan covers. Their version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door is very nice indeed.
It’s more of like sonic wallpaper type music to be honest. Their style is very unique but single faceted. The clientele is another band I find to be of the same sort of ilk

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:20pm
laxman wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

It’s more of like sonic wallpaper type music to be honest. Their style is very unique but single faceted. The clientele is another band I find to be of the same sort of ilk
I thought that might possibly be the case. Maybe we should have a thread of bands/artists where you only need to hear one song and you are done with them?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:31pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
laxman wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I thought that might possibly be the case. Maybe we should have a thread of bands/artists where you only need to hear one song and you are done with them?
Mensforth Hill. Close the thread my work here is done.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

laxman wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:31pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
laxman wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

How funny, I made a playlist using this concept just recently. I have it organized chronologically by when I first heard each song.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it's probably very likely that they have other interests now and being in Weezer is just a paycheck, so they're just coasting.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc