A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2021, 4:02pm
Heston wrote:
09 May 2021, 3:12pm
revbob wrote:
09 May 2021, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2021, 12:16pm

Also, you're up tomorrow Reverse Reverend Bob. Pick something good or I'm using all my words on you. :shifty:
Ummm the dog ate mine?
I need my noise terror assignment.
That can be arranged, Clive!
I promise mine will be more tuneful.

Honestly though I haven't gone down this path much of late. I have some Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Lard, KMFDM, Slayer and some other stuff that I listen to on the regular but that's all kind of mainstream even if Heston would hate it. I need to dig deeper.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2021, 4:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2021, 12:16pm

Also, you're up tomorrow Reverse Reverend Bob. Pick something good or I'm using all my words on you. :shifty:
Ummm the dog ate mine?

Honestly though I haven't gone down this path much of late. I have some Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Lard, KMFDM, Slayer and some other stuff that I listen to on the regular but that's all kind of mainstream even if Heston would hate it. I need to dig deeper.
Yes, that all sounds utterly appalling.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2021, 4:45pm
revbob wrote:
09 May 2021, 4:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

Ummm the dog ate mine?

Yes, that all sounds utterly appalling.
Oh so I already have it nailed down. Well I'll put in more effort for the others in the meantime I think you'll be ok with this weeks offering.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So I abandoned the Noise Terror 5 for now. I still need to figure out who to include and I haven't been in that frame of mind of late so here goes a more soul centric 5 which is probably more consistent with where my head has been.

Sharon Jones - 100 Days, 100 Nights
What a voice, if that doesn't win you over you're a cold bastard. A great talent who died way too young.

Black Joe Lewis
Livin in the Jungle
I forget how I came across his music. Its part James Brown and part I don't know what. Driving guitar and driving horns that make you want to dance, what's not to like?

Kat Wright - By My Side
Local girl does good. I really like her voice and the vibe of this song. I saw her live once and didn't really enjoy it she seemed to be playing to the hippies, this song works for me though and would definitely try a live show again.

The Inciters - Me Myself and I
I picked this album up on a whim about 15 years ago. It does not disappoint. Great vocals amd horns.

Ruby Velle and the Soulphonics - The Man Says
Ive certainly mentioned them here before as I probably have the others but who listens to what I say (Marky does!, Flex too)
Great vocals

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Total class! 11/10

Black Joe Lewis
Livin in the Jungle
Great driving soulful rhythm with a touch of funk. 9/10

Kat Wright - By My Side
Solid voice very enjoyable track. Local girl definitely a good find rev. 8/10

Anyone like me who digs Ska with horns can't deny that when bands like this get it right it's simply joyous. 9/10

Again classy vocals and a very solid band. Yeah she is terrific! 9/10

What a great selection of tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 May 2021, 6:26am

Glad you liked them Marky, but then you have great taste.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2021, 9:15am
Marky Dread wrote:

What does that mean if I like them?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 10:04am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's your round. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 10:04am
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I stopped trying to figure you out.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Sharon Jones - She has enough soul to save half of all FIFA administrators (no one has enough soul to save them all). Great start 9/10

Black Joe Lewis - I've been a fan for a long time. He has a funky uniqueness/unique funkiness about him. This is one of my favorite tracks. 10/10

Kat Wright - great voice and horns - could use a different song but she still works this well. 8/10

The Inciters - solid basis - vocals not as strong as the others on this list but still a great track. 9/10

Ruby Velle - great minimalist funk, definitely less is more with this. 9/10

The women here would make a great all-star tour. Thanks for this list. I'll dig out more Inciters plus revisit Black Joe Lewis.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'll be on Maj's and Rev's picks tomorrow in the lab, looking forward to them after the glowing reviews.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Full admission that my tastes lean to noise rather than soul …

The song itself is rather generic soul to my ears, but, yeah, that voice. Just a slight touch of cigarette to it, but not enough to make it a rasp.

Black Joe Lewis - Livin in the Jungle
Nervous energy all over this, relieved whenever the horns kick in—wonderful balance. Love that frantic guitar.

Kat Wright - By My Side
I’m reminded of Cat Power here, tho KW’s voice doesn’t have that same whisky-drenched pathos. But there’s that ease and intimacy of delivery. She sounds like she’d be dynamite in a small club setting.

Kind of evocative of “Can’t Buy Me Love” in places. Which ain’t a bad thing, assuming it’s not a terrible bald white guy cover.

Yeah, this is the shit. She could charm the devil into letting everyone leave hell. Again, a pretty basic song that doesn’t stand out one way or another, but she sells it effectively.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 3:59pm
Miles Kane - Better Than That- Your description is spot on, but the vocal and guitar hooks and arrangement don't do much for me. My enjoyment of XTC is pretty limited, so that makes sense. 5/10

Hammell On Trial - I'm Gonna Watch You Sleep - I like the DIY, low key vibe of this with things kinda coming and going in the instrumentation. Doesn't go for anything grand, but that's okay. Solid 7/10.

Silver Sun - I'll See You Around
I don't love the ELO backing vocals, but the verse and chorus hooks are so good. Added to my Matey's World playlist. 8/10.

Michael Kiwanuka - You Ain't the Problem
Love percussion and warm instrumentation. The fuzz guitar or whatever with the backing vocals are very very evocative of the time, but I can't say I find it appealing. The lead vocal is pretty monotone which doesn't do the song any favors either. Good soundtrack music or background music, but I can't say I love it. 5/10.

Soap - Golden Days - Love me a good clap track. The verses are great, but the chorus is a bit limp. Again with the overdone octave vocals on this one giving it that 70s sheen. I really like about half of it and kinda meh on the other half. The breakdown is really good too. Solid 6.5/10. Almost want to rate it higher, but the chorus just isn't strong enough for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Sharon Jones
The voice definitely elevates this but I found myself listening to the vocal rather than the song for the first half. Then it changed up a bit, slowed down, it all made more sense and came together for me.

Black Joe Lewis
This kind of confuses me because there's so much going on. Nothing I can say I dislike but with so much I find it doesn't totally work. Maybe something that needs a few listens for me

Kat Wright
I like this without it really totally grabbing me. It's definitely got something to make it a little bit different though and not become too generic.

The Inciters
This reminds me of something specific that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess you're drawn to strong vocal performances because each one has been top drawer so far and I've seen Ruby Velle live so I know that will continue.

Ruby Velle
As I said, I saw them live a while back and had no idea who Ruby Velle was or what style of music it was but I wanted to see the support act. I can't say it wasn't a great night out but it didn't make me buy the CD they were promoting at the time. I appreciate that that says more about me than them because this type of music gets my respect but doesn't connect 100% with me. In the moment I like it but afterwards I couldn't tell you a thing about it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston

Post by Heston »

Maj....

Denise Chaila
This didn't float my boat at first but that great little guitar riff started hitting home. I'd like to hear it with a rougher production in live session or something. 7/10

Yard Act
Yeah, really digging this. A bit Sleaford Mods meets The Fall meets Jilted John. I like the way the chords change subtly at times behind the repetitive main riff. Funny lyrics too. 8/10

Beau Brummels
This type of stuff is right up my street but it seemed a bit ordinary at first. Thankfully grew on me after a few plays and it is a good song. 7/10

Peter Tosh
I know this song and it is totally brilliant. The subtle shift in mood between the verses and chorus is sublime. Kory noted the great guitar playing, superb tone and technique. 10/10

Hamish Imlach
I like this because it reminds of bawdy times at my local open mic night with the locals singing these seemingly true stories of miscreants and ne'er do wells. It also sounds a lot like Lindisfarne which is no bad thing. 8/10