Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Which albums deserve to move on?

Poll ended at 13 May 2021, 8:18am

The B-52’s, The B-52’s
1
1%
Blondie, Eat to the Beat
4
4%
David Bowie, Lodger
3
3%
The Clash, London Calling
18
16%
Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Armed Forces
11
10%
Crass, Stations of the Crass
4
4%
The Cure, Three Imaginary Boys
5
4%
The Damned, Machine Gun Etiquette
6
5%
Gang of Four, Entertainment!
8
7%
The Jam, Setting Sons
12
11%
Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures
5
4%
KISS, Dynasty
2
2%
Madness, One Step Beyond …
3
3%
Magazine, Secondhand Daylight
3
3%
Public Image Ltd., Metal Box
4
4%
The Raincoats, The Raincoats
0
No votes
The Slits, Cut
4
4%
The Specials, The Specials
11
10%
Talking Heads, Fear of Music
6
5%
Wire, 154
3
3%
XTC, Drums and Wires
1
1%
 
Total votes: 114

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14191
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 May 2021, 8:39am
Head Injuries by Midnight Oil was another great 1979 release.
Ooh yeah definitely. Not as good as Countdown or Red Sails, but a classic nonetheless. What a tremendous band.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14191
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
13 May 2021, 9:16am
Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 8:42pm
Also, in a slight counter to the usual '79 trend, Devo released their weakest of their first three LPs that year, Duty Now For the Future. A fine record, but the releases on either side of that one are more important and better. 79 doesn't quite win them all, I suppose.
I still think Secondhand Daylight is a great album, but I prefer Magazine’s releases on either side of 79 as well.
My only beef with Real Life is that it's a song too short but it's got just the right mood. Daylight may be my favorite. It's just so pleasingly cold, though I do echo the usual critique that the guitar needs a bit of a boost. And I may actually prefer the live version of Feed the Enemy. And Soap is, of course, completely untouchable.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51187
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:12pm
Wolter wrote:
13 May 2021, 9:16am
Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 8:42pm
Also, in a slight counter to the usual '79 trend, Devo released their weakest of their first three LPs that year, Duty Now For the Future. A fine record, but the releases on either side of that one are more important and better. 79 doesn't quite win them all, I suppose.
I still think Secondhand Daylight is a great album, but I prefer Magazine’s releases on either side of 79 as well.
My only beef with Real Life is that it's a song too short but it's got just the right mood. Daylight may be my favorite. It's just so pleasingly cold, though I do echo the usual critique that the guitar needs a bit of a boost. And I may actually prefer the live version of Feed the Enemy. And Soap is, of course, completely untouchable.
Try some full fat yoghurt. I mean who are you Bob Geldof?
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14191
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:12pm
Wolter wrote:
13 May 2021, 9:16am
Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 8:42pm
Also, in a slight counter to the usual '79 trend, Devo released their weakest of their first three LPs that year, Duty Now For the Future. A fine record, but the releases on either side of that one are more important and better. 79 doesn't quite win them all, I suppose.
I still think Secondhand Daylight is a great album, but I prefer Magazine’s releases on either side of 79 as well.
My only beef with Real Life is that it's a song too short but it's got just the right mood. Daylight may be my favorite. It's just so pleasingly cold, though I do echo the usual critique that the guitar needs a bit of a boost. And I may actually prefer the live version of Feed the Enemy. And Soap is, of course, completely untouchable.
Try some full fat yoghurt. I mean who are you Bob Geldof?
Gross, on both scores.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51187
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Preliminary Round 1

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:12pm
Wolter wrote:
13 May 2021, 9:16am
Flex wrote:
12 May 2021, 8:42pm
Also, in a slight counter to the usual '79 trend, Devo released their weakest of their first three LPs that year, Duty Now For the Future. A fine record, but the releases on either side of that one are more important and better. 79 doesn't quite win them all, I suppose.
I still think Secondhand Daylight is a great album, but I prefer Magazine’s releases on either side of 79 as well.
My only beef with Real Life is that it's a song too short but it's got just the right mood. Daylight may be my favorite. It's just so pleasingly cold, though I do echo the usual critique that the guitar needs a bit of a boost. And I may actually prefer the live version of Feed the Enemy. And Soap is, of course, completely untouchable.
Try some full fat yoghurt. I mean who are you Bob Geldof?
Gross, on both scores.
:mrgreen:
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Post Reply