Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by bazarboy75 »

Kory wrote:
14 May 2021, 6:53pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:15pm
I applied some restoration treatments (but the original is very good)

A SIDE
https://mega.nz/file/zYNSDBjB#zwwnxR3CS ... Tic1PLTvf0
B SIDE
https://mega.nz/file/mYcAnDCb#a7hVloEpY ... eJtsQNv7xo

I will be on the road for work for hours next week i know what i'll gonna hear in loop...
I'll check these out soon, thanks! What did you do to them, out of curiosity?
Tried to atenuate the crakle and the typical buzz from the vynil

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Thanks to John S, Dr. Medulla and everyone else. Very interesting topic, but how many different Combat Rock mixes exist? Recently John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band Box" was released, from a simple LP they have pulled out 6CD and 2 blu-ray, sometimes there is no limit to decency. :meh:
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2021, 5:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 5:11pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:28pm

As would Michael Herrs Dispatches which i think joe was reading around that time.

Regards The Fulham Connection"", a phrase i've always been curious about. Was watching an old episode of Minder earlier in which Arthur is being done for importing drugs (he's innocent, for once!) and uses the phrase a couple of times. I assumed it was a play on the movie title Joe or Topper had come up with but it was obviously in wider circulation before that.
That episode of Minder was released on 2nd October 1985.

It's a play on the movie title The French Connection II.
I did check it this morning and the episode they showed on itv today was from april, 1982, according to imdb anyway.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0648686/

Just a minor thing really, but i remember checking before and not being able to find any other references to the phrase being used so naturally my curiosity was piqued when i heard Arthur use it twice this morning.
Ahh I probably had the wrong episode "From Fulham with Love". But they were all filmed in the Fulham/Hammersmith/Shepherds Bush area.

So yeah could be a possibility Joe watched it.

Definitively a play on the Gene Hackman movie from 1975.
No question it's a play on the film, but i'd never made the leap joe might have picked it up from the tv show. Would make sense alright, though i'm wondering whether the song could have been written as late as April 82? I have actually spent an unreasonable amount of time researching this and can find no other source for the phrase being used. Dunno why it matters to me, but it does!
This acetate is dated Jan 82 so definitely written and recorded in 1981.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

bazarboy75 wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:24pm
Kory wrote:
14 May 2021, 6:53pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:15pm
I applied some restoration treatments (but the original is very good)

A SIDE
https://mega.nz/file/zYNSDBjB#zwwnxR3CS ... Tic1PLTvf0
B SIDE
https://mega.nz/file/mYcAnDCb#a7hVloEpY ... eJtsQNv7xo

I will be on the road for work for hours next week i know what i'll gonna hear in loop...
I'll check these out soon, thanks! What did you do to them, out of curiosity?
Tried to atenuate the crakle and the typical buzz from the vynil
Yes, thanks for the tweaks. I notice that the file sizes are a lot larger now, not sure how or why that is.
I'm old enough to remember hifi where amplifiers had 'scratch filter' and 'rumble filter' switches!
Of course these days you can digitise audio from vinyl and, if you have the skill and patience, de-click it quite successfully. Acetates of course are far noisier and less robust than regular vinyl, so these are never going to sound pristine. But I have a pretty good set of scratch and rumble filters in my head... :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Holy shit this is so good. I always preferred Combat Rock to Rat Patrol, now I'm not sure. The band was firing on all cylinders at this time and pretty much became their own genre. It makes me wish this wasn't the end but maybe there wasn't even anywhere for them to go from here. Time for the Combat Rock deluxe edition let's go.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2021, 5:00am
Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2021, 5:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 5:11pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 4:38pm

That episode of Minder was released on 2nd October 1985.

It's a play on the movie title The French Connection II.
I did check it this morning and the episode they showed on itv today was from april, 1982, according to imdb anyway.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0648686/

Just a minor thing really, but i remember checking before and not being able to find any other references to the phrase being used so naturally my curiosity was piqued when i heard Arthur use it twice this morning.
Ahh I probably had the wrong episode "From Fulham with Love". But they were all filmed in the Fulham/Hammersmith/Shepherds Bush area.

So yeah could be a possibility Joe watched it.

Definitively a play on the Gene Hackman movie from 1975.
No question it's a play on the film, but i'd never made the leap joe might have picked it up from the tv show. Would make sense alright, though i'm wondering whether the song could have been written as late as April 82? I have actually spent an unreasonable amount of time researching this and can find no other source for the phrase being used. Dunno why it matters to me, but it does!
This acetate is dated Jan 82 so definitely written and recorded in 1981.
Cheers, guess I'll probably never solve that particular mystery. Have to agree with earlier comment about Car Jamming lyrics, some fantastic lines in that. I think joe was doing some great writing around that time: StH, Sean Flynn, Idle in Kangaroo Court etc.

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

Great find, thanks!!!

First night... Seems to be the same Version that we already know right?
So from the whole 2 disks intended, which Songs/versions are missing from this and official sources?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

chocolatejesus wrote:
15 May 2021, 6:57am
Great find, thanks!!!

So from the whole 2 disks intended, which Songs/versions are missing from this and official sources?
I noticed First night was shown as being over 5 minutes long, which it clearly isn’t. I think I have worked out that the reason for the typo on the label is that the length shown is the same as the length of the same number track on the other side of the acetate. Not sure why that was bugging me but it was!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
15 May 2021, 8:17am
chocolatejesus wrote:
15 May 2021, 6:57am
Great find, thanks!!!

I noticed First night was shown as being over 5 minutes long, which it clearly isn’t. I think I have worked out that the reason for the typo on the label is that the length shown is the same as the length of the same number track on the other side of the acetate. Not sure why that was bugging me but it was!
A few errors on the acetate covers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Conrad
Corner Soul

Post by Conrad »

This is just amazing, thank you so much. I am a little confused as to what these tracks represent in the context of the CR background, though. I assume these tracks are the relevant songs' versions that Mick wanted to release. That said, I always thought that Mick "presented" the band with a double LP with a definite tracking list, and that both the mixes and the proposed album lenght were rejected. What about the songs that are missing here ? Thank you su much again, I am sooo grateful for being able to listen to this music after so many years, and I agree that these versions take RPFFB to another level.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Conrad wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:13am
This is just amazing, thank you so much. I am a little confused as to what these tracks represent in the context of the CR background, though. I assume these tracks are the relevant songs' versions that Mick wanted to release. That said, I always thought that Mick "presented" the band with a double LP with a definite tracking list, and that both the mixes and the proposed album lenght were rejected. What about the songs that are missing here ? Thank you su much again, I am sooo grateful for being able to listen to this music after so many years, and I agree that these versions take RPFFB to another level.
That’s what has been bugging me.

The previously understood Rat Patrol appears to be this version but with added songs like Sean Flynn, Ghetto Defendant, etc.

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
1. Double album Rat Patrol dated January 82.
2. Single album Rat Patrol dates January 82.
3. Combat Rock from May 82.
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).

I could be way off on a lot of this but it should be pretty easy to confirm based on what’s on the real double album Rat Patrol.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:30am
Conrad wrote:

The previously understood Rat Patrol appears to be this version but with added songs like Sean Flynn, Ghetto Defendant, etc.

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).

I could be way off on a lot of this but it should be pretty easy to confirm based on what’s on the real double album Rat Patrol.
Mick's proposed track list for the double album was this (I think).

Side One:
1. Straight to Hell
2. Know Your Rights
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side Two:
1. Should I Stay or Should I Go?
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Sean Flynn

Side Three:
1. Car Jamming
2. The Fulham Connection II
3. Atom Tan
4. First Night Back in London

Side Four:
1. Inoculated City
2. Death Is a Star
3. Cool Confusion
4. Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

Others:
Possible 12" to have been included as a freebie.
Overpowered By Funk (Extended New York Mix) also known as "Funk Out" mix.

Outtakes:
Midnight to Stevens
Once You Know
Walk Evil Talk

There is also one other different take of "Overpowered By Funk".
And an alternate take of "Know Your Rights".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

matedog wrote:
Conrad wrote:

I believe the double album tracklist is as follows:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?

If so - perhaps the acetate plus the missing four tracks (which are all on Sound Sytem) makes the complete Rat Patrol From Fort Brag...

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

topperville wrote:
15 May 2021, 10:03am
matedog wrote:
Conrad wrote:

I believe the double album tracklist is as follows:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?

If so - perhaps the acetate plus the missing four tracks (which are all on Sound Sytem) makes the complete Rat Patrol From Fort Brag...
So it's time to try a COMPLETE RECNSTRUCTION...

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Mick said "Release Complete Patrol," but...
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?