Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by WestwayKid »

I don't have Marky's audio skills, but I took the files originally ripped by Doc M and then cleaned up by Bazarboy and then did a little more work on them. I split them into individual tracks and got rid of the compression/brickwalling. I then tried to match levels with Marky's "Rat Patrol From Hell W10" tracks. So, take these tracks, drop in Ghetto Defendent, Sean Flynn, Cool Confusion, and Idle from Marky's collection and give it a listen. I'm hoping someone with better audio skills will have a go, but in the meantime I think they sound okay.

https://mega.nz/file/LP5nHQKY#dfPEo_Uhn ... Q_y86PoE9U
Last edited by WestwayKid on 15 May 2021, 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

topperville wrote:
15 May 2021, 10:03am
matedog wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:30am

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
1. Double album Rat Patrol dated January 82.
2. Single album Rat Patrol dates January 82.
3. Combat Rock from May 82.
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).
I believe the double album tracklist is as follows:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?
Good observation about the omitted tracks being the ends of side 2 and 4. It’s still unclear what the intended album really was. Was it a single album and Mick threw a bunch of b sides at the end of 2 and 4 or was it a double all along and they couldn’t fit them all on this acetate?

Otherwise, last question is which version of the four tracks is the legit Rat Patrol version:
Ghetto Defendant - Combat Rock version? Or alt take from Sound System
Sean Flynn - extended version from Sound System
Cool Confusion- Sound System which is same as SBMC and original b side.
Idle - Sound System version

I think Ghetto is the real unknown.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:00pm
topperville wrote:
15 May 2021, 10:03am
matedog wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:30am

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
1. Double album Rat Patrol dated January 82.
2. Single album Rat Patrol dates January 82.
3. Combat Rock from May 82.
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).
I believe the double album tracklist is as follows:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?
Good observation about the omitted tracks being the ends of side 2 and 4. It’s still unclear what the intended album really was. Was it a single album and Mick threw a bunch of b sides at the end of 2 and 4 or was it a double all along and they couldn’t fit them all on this acetate?

Otherwise, last question is which version of the four tracks is the legit Rat Patrol version:
Ghetto Defendant - Combat Rock version? Or alt take from Sound System
Sean Flynn - extended version from Sound System
Cool Confusion- Sound System which is same as SBMC and original b side.
Idle - Sound System version

I think Ghetto is the real unknown.
My hunch is the longer Sound System version, but just a hunch.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Mick’s proposed version of Rat Patrol was the double album with the track-list posted above. The Rat Patrol version of Ghetto Defendant is the “extended unedited version” found on Sound System. Overpowered by Funk was also mixed during the Rat Patrol sessions and mooted for a twelve inch. Long Time Jerk was earmarked for a B Side. This two sides acetate was cut the same day as the four sides one Mick had proposed. I don’t know whose idea the two sided version was, and had never heard of it before.

And yes, acetates are always one-sided.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Sorry but a file that was 130 kbps later became 320 kbps and is now in FLAC is this a correct procedure? I think the quality remains the original one, however thanks for the improvements. :rolleyes:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
16 May 2021, 3:02am
Sorry but a file that was 130 kbps later became 320 kbps and is now in FLAC is this a correct procedure? I think the quality remains the original one, however thanks for the improvements. :rolleyes:
Is that rolling eyes icon necessary? The guy gave up his free time to help.

Good job Chris.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2021, 5:11am
Red Angel wrote:

Good job Chris.
In fact I thanked, but I would like a qualified answer to my curiosity, not useless controversies. :meh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
16 May 2021, 5:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2021, 5:11am
Red Angel wrote:

Good job Chris.
In fact I thanked, but I would like a qualified answer to my curiosity, not useless controversies. :meh:
So I'm betting you have downloaded all my remasters right?

Do you seriously think they all came to me as pristine WAV files that I then created FLAC files from. Those remasters ALL sound better than when I received them. They all came from different sources and different bit rates.

All were made to sound better than the original. A ton of work went in to them and all my my time was given freely so guys like you could benefit.

So stop with the rolling eyes crap and be grateful for the others that go to the effort because you can't or won't do it yourself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

If you want to let off steam find another "the rolling eyes" are just an excuse to attack me, I'm not here to be offended by you. I've always thanked everyone and if that's not enough, I can't help it. I also did some uploads and works but I don't ask for thanks, everyone gives what they can. So please change your attitude, if you want I will delete your remasters right away. Besides, I don't have time to waste on this bullshit, it ends here for me. X(

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2021, 8:40pm
I don't have Marky's audio skills, but I took the files originally ripped by Doc M and then cleaned up by Bazarboy and then did a little more work on them. I split them into individual tracks and got rid of the compression/brickwalling. I then tried to match levels with Marky's "Rat Patrol From Hell W10" tracks. So, take these tracks, drop in Ghetto Defendent, Sean Flynn, Cool Confusion, and Idle from Marky's collection and give it a listen. I'm hoping someone with better audio skills will have a go, but in the meantime I think they sound okay.

https://mega.nz/file/LP5nHQKY#dfPEo_Uhn ... Q_y86PoE9U
Thanks, man!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
16 May 2021, 6:19am
If you want to let off steam find another "the rolling eyes" are just an excuse to attack me, I'm not here to be offended by you. I've always thanked everyone and if that's not enough, I can't help it. I also did some uploads and works but I don't ask for thanks, everyone gives what they can. So please change your attitude, if you want I will delete your remasters right away. Besides, I don't have time to waste on this bullshit, it ends here for me. X(
My attitude really? I'm the one with the problem seriously?

You need to change yours fella. I'm not letting off steam at all. You do not offend me. I'm saying be a bit more respectful to those who are trying their best to help others here. Using that silly rolling eyes emoticon was just not necessary.

I'm not knocking any contributions you have made either. It's a community thing here. Just go easy when others do their thing. Yes you did say "thanks" to WWK but your comment was a bit back handed when you complained about the bit rate. Remember Chris (WWK) gave his time freely and you recieved it free. Peace and love.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Thanks WWK!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

These files are what they are. Original quality was average. Bazarboy did a nice job cleaning up the clicks and pops. I know we all wish for pristine copies, overseen by Mick. Not sure we’ll ever see that (though I keep hoping).

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Just thinking between geralds cut the crap, a new joe release, material of some description on the way from don and these rat patrol acetates on top of all the marky offerings, the cup of the average clash obsessive truly runneth over at present. I wish i had the tiniest scintilla of know how to be able to understand even a quarter of the technical stuff that's going on here but, rest assured, it is very gratefully and humbly received. Massive thank you to all involved here.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 May 2021, 10:51am
Just thinking between geralds cut the crap, a new joe release, material of some description on the way from don and these rat patrol acetates on top of all the marky offerings, the cup of the average clash obsessive truly runneth over at present. I wish i had the tiniest scintilla of know how to be able to understand even a quarter of the technical stuff that's going on here but, rest assured, it is very gratefully and humbly received. Massive thank you to all involved here.
Seconded.