Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:31pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:21pm
KCportland wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:17pm
If you want to stump your drummer friends, give them a pair of headphones and ask them to play along with Topper on Red Angel Dragnet. No where does he earn the "human drum machine" title more than on that.
I sat with the drummer in my band on Friday night listening to this song and discussed that very thing. It is insanely good.
I still can't figure that damn hi-hat out.
Is it possible that the hi-hat was a separate track to the main drum track to get that feel?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:36pm
River wrote:
Heston wrote:
KCportland wrote:
If you want to stump your drummer friends, give them a pair of headphones and ask them to play along with Topper on Red Angel Dragnet. No where does he earn the "human drum machine" title more than on that.
I sat with the drummer in my band on Friday night listening to this song and discussed that very thing. It is insanely good.
Is it possible that the hi-hat was a separate track to the main drum track to get that feel?
The whole pattern is just damn weird. I've air-drummed along with it a few times trying to catch all the accents and it is mighty tricky.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Heston wrote:
KCportland wrote:
The whole pattern is just damn weird. I've air-drummed along with it a few times trying to catch all the accents and it is mighty tricky.
I'm sure Tops was more than clever enough to play those accentuated hi-hats but it may just be different track. Mick may have got Tops to play them separately.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:05pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm sure Tops was more than clever enough to play those accentuated hi-hats but it may just be different track. Mick may have got Tops to play them separately.
Quite possible but Topper was very skilled as we know. We need the stems. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

I'll upload them in 2082. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Centenary Rock

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Centenary Rock
100 years war.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:

It sounds to me like a single track/take. He does this interesting kinda double drag (I think that's the drum rudiment term, i'm rusty on those). It's very unorthodox and would require a bit of practice, but it's not otherworldly.

Straight to Hell is the one I think has to be more than one drum track.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

This is pretty much it:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Also, I think Red Angel Dragnet is on par with Dictator as one of the worst things they ever did. Nothing on the first five albums comes close to being as shockingly bad as RAD. Yeah the drums are great, but the choices made throughout are just bafflingly awful. Paul sounds ridiculous basically doing a spoken word rant about New York or something and Kosmo doing a stupid Taxi Driver impression when they probably could have gotten their buddy Scorcese to buy off on the actual sample. And when listening to this great new Rat Patrol, I forgot how long the Taxi Driver bit goes on for. There's a Joe/Mick part that is kind of a chorus but does not remotely redeem the track. It's barely there. At least Dictator has Joe singing.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I quite like RAD... It fits better on Rat Patrol than on CR, anyway. I think

The Ranking Roger version is also pretty boss.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Having obviously not visited New York City in the early 80s, Rat Patrol really sounds a bit like aural psychotourism of that time and place.

You can feel the sticky August heat hanging off your skin with this blasting in your ears. To me, anyways. 😎

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 9:03pm
Also, I think Red Angel Dragnet is on par with Dictator as one of the worst things they ever did. Nothing on the first five albums comes close to being as shockingly bad as RAD. Yeah the drums are great, but the choices made throughout are just bafflingly awful. Paul sounds ridiculous basically doing a spoken word rant about New York or something and Kosmo doing a stupid Taxi Driver impression when they probably could have gotten their buddy Scorcese to buy off on the actual sample. And when listening to this great new Rat Patrol, I forgot how long the Taxi Driver bit goes on for. There's a Joe/Mick part that is kind of a chorus but does not remotely redeem the track. It's barely there. At least Dictator has Joe singing.
I always assumed the vocals were more of a joke, a sort of gonzo, beat-poet parody thing that was intended to be strange. For me it works, but I am somewhat relieved when it gets to the "who shot the shot" part. Micks guitar on it is pretty strange too, maybe one of the only times he used tremolo?
Last edited by KCportland on 18 May 2021, 10:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 6:56pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2021, 6:50pm
matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 6:47pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2021, 6:24pm
"Better make Inoculated City shorter and worse! There needs to be room for Red Angel Dragnet! I'm very successful!"
In fairness, he did take over a minute off of Red Angel Dragnet. We lost more of the sound collage portion of Inoculated sure.
What's a producer's job, if not to say: don't let your publicist do a shit impersonation of a film from six years ago for this album that we want to see go top ten? Or, why don't we replace these Paul vocals with something from a singer, any singer?
For real. Not sure why RAD was always in every iteration of this album.
Your answer is in the acronym.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:31am
WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2021, 8:08pm
River wrote:
17 May 2021, 8:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2021, 8:04pm

Does he mention why it's only one "G" ?
He doesn't. His exact line is " It's title, provisional, is the Rat Patrol from Fort Brag, with one G." I'll upload the part of the interview in a second.
Thanks River appreciated. Also "The" Rat Patrol.
I've always assumed the title came from the 1960's TV show The Rat Patrol. Interesting that it would be Fort Brag. I also always assumed it was named after the North Carolina military base.
Probably a play on words?
Yeah, it must just be a pun.