Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:24pm
Saying GNR were the new Crue, but not having MC in the list is curious as fuck. Not that I like them, but every hesher in my school loved them in the their heyday.
I still don't think metalheads are legally allowed to acknowledge glam or hair metal.
I didn't even realize VH could be considered metal.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:33pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Saying GNR were the new Crue, but not having MC in the list is curious as fuck. Not that I like them, but every hesher in my school loved them in the their heyday.
I still don't think metalheads are legally allowed to acknowledge glam or hair metal.
They absolutely were considered that by middle America in the 80s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:17pm
I hate them all and I haven't even looked at the list.
I can honestly say the only band on that list that I own anything by is GNR. I still like "Appetite For Destruction", can't say I cared for anything else after that (other than Tommy Stinson playing bass for them!).
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
See, this is what happens when kids forget their history, like Priest explaining the importance of breakin' the law.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Anyway, most of those bands are godawful and several of the ones that aren’t are only tenuously metal.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would guess it's because EVH's playing didn't fit any other genre but metal. So even if VH was hard rock, having a shit-hot virtuoso like EVH pushed the music press to classify them as metal (see ACDC).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:40pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I would guess it's because EVH's playing didn't fit any other genre but metal. So even if VH was hard rock, having a shit-hot virtuoso like EVH pushed the music press to classify them as metal (see ACDC).
Honestly, they weren’t really very different from most mainstream pop metal of the time. Spandex, long hair, twiddly solos, etc.

Definitely closer to metal than, to pick a band at random that only someone with brainworms would consider metal, Nirvana.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:40pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Honestly, they weren’t really very different from most mainstream pop metal of the time. Spandex, long hair, twiddly solos, etc.
Right—Def Leppard, Dokken, and, yeah, 80s KISS. All bands who weren't bothered by chart success at all. (Well, did Dokken sell much?)
Definitely closer to metal than, to pick a band at random that only someone with brainworms would consider metal, Nirvana.
I literally can't conceive of Kurt Cobain being inspired by let alone playing a Van Halen solo.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Here's my "thinking about it for 5 minutes" attempt to do a metal Top 20. Rather than it just being "my personal favorite bands" - because then it it would mostly just be like thrash and doom metal and shit - I'll try to at least spread around the subgenres a little and also be sure to acknowledge insanely popular groups. Using that criteria, the original list at least got a few right. In no particular order:

Slayer
Death
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Mastodon
Suicidal Tendencies
Saint Vitus
Body Count
Neckbeard Deathcamp
Van Halen
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Danzig
Blue Cheer
Stormtroopers of Death
Faith No More
Cryptic Slaughter
Melvins
Municipal Waste
Iced Earth

There a bunch of bands that I could have included but that I don't really think of primarily as metal (alice in chains from the original list, fishbone, the misfits, agnostic front, so on and so forth) and I tried to include a few current bands although there are a fucking million sub-sub-sub-genres which i have little familiarity with.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wow what a fantastic list.

To completey ignore.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:03pm
Here's my "thinking about it for 5 minutes" attempt to do a metal Top 20. Rather than it just being "my personal favorite bands" - because then it it would mostly just be like thrash and doom metal and shit - I'll try to at least spread around the subgenres a little and also be sure to acknowledge insanely popular groups. Using that criteria, the original list at least got a few right. In no particular order:

Slayer
Death
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Mastodon
Suicidal Tendencies
Saint Vitus
Body Count
Neckbeard Deathcamp
Van Halen
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Danzig
Blue Cheer
Stormtroopers of Death
Faith No More
Cryptic Slaughter
Melvins
Municipal Waste
Iced Earth

There a bunch of bands that I could have included but that I don't really think of primarily as metal (alice in chains from the original list, fishbone, the misfits, agnostic front, so on and so forth) and I tried to include a few current bands although there are a fucking million sub-sub-sub-genres which i have little familiarity with.
Yeah I dont consider Ministry, NIN and Suicidal Tendencies as metal. I only own the first ST album which I would classify as hardcore.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:13pm
Wow what a fantastic list.

To completey ignore.
:lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:16pm
Yeah I dont consider Ministry, NIN and Suicidal Tendencies as metal. I only own the first ST album which I would classify as hardcore.
i think both ministry and nin are considers industrial metal in the popular imagination. ST is interesting in that they're claimed by both metal and punk camps, they're definitely crossover tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Related to all this discussion, I'll recommend this book:

The premise/mission is to debunk the idea that, until thrash came along, metal and punk were in two intellectually hostile camps. I've often wanted to teach the book but never quite figured out a good setting.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:24pm
revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 7:16pm
i think both ministry and nin are considers industrial metal in the popular imagination. ST is interesting in that they're claimed by both metal and punk camps, they're definitely crossover tho.
And crossover itself is a sub genre!