The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23131
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

I will say for the music itself, it's nice to have these outtakes and bonus tracks available for streaming. I probably don't listen as much as I would during the physical media era, but it's nice to have access to a lot more for a lot less money.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 771
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

Good example of questionable inclusions would be the reusable shopping bag that came with the Rhino records bundle for the Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" last year. I mean seriously, other than a collectable, who really needs or wants a Mats shopping tote?
Attachments
Rhino Mats PTMM Shopping Bag.jpg
Rhino Mats PTMM Shopping Bag.jpg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 5:13pm
Good example of questionable inclusions would be the reusable shopping bag that came with the Rhino records bundle for the Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" last year. I mean seriously, other than a collectable, who really needs or wants a Mats shopping tote?
something something Heston KISS something
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50521
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:23pm
Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
It's not listed on the box. There's a download code in braile.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:23pm
Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
It's not listed on the box. There's a download code in braile.
As long as it's the version we've heard over and over, I'm in.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 23131
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 5:13pm
Good example of questionable inclusions would be the reusable shopping bag that came with the Rhino records bundle for the Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" last year. I mean seriously, other than a collectable, who really needs or wants a Mats shopping tote?
At least it’s functional unlike a fake cigarette or whatever was in Sound System.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50521
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 8:44pm
Sparky wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 5:13pm
Good example of questionable inclusions would be the reusable shopping bag that came with the Rhino records bundle for the Replacements "Pleased To Meet Me" last year. I mean seriously, other than a collectable, who really needs or wants a Mats shopping tote?
At least it’s functional unlike a fake cigarette or whatever was in Sound System.
It was a poster tube. But totally silly.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'd love to see this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/arts ... -punk.html

What happened in New York in 1978–1984—no wave, mutant disco, hip hop—is as concentrated an origin story for the dominant music of the 21st century as there is. It doesn't cover everything, obviously, but so much of this distinctly outsider stuff established the foundation of so much contemporary stuff. Speaks well of the Clash, especially Mick, for realizing that someone special was fermenting.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50521
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:23pm
Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
It's not listed on the box. There's a download code in braile.
As long as it's the version we've heard over and over, I'm in.
Sadly not it's Mick's original country and western demo version.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:23pm
Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
It's not listed on the box. There's a download code in braile.
As long as it's the version we've heard over and over, I'm in.
Sadly not it's Mick's original country and western demo version.
No, it has to be the version that's been released fifty times already.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50521
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 1:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:23pm
Does the Mick set come with "Train in Vain"?
It's not listed on the box. There's a download code in braile.
As long as it's the version we've heard over and over, I'm in.
Sadly not it's Mick's original country and western demo version.
No, it has to be the version that's been released fifty times already.
It's been lost.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95702
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Identifying the monster in the mirror: https://thehardtimes.net/music/internet ... ical-ruin/
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50521
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Fodderstompf!
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210615-120327_Outlook.jpg
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Sparky
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 771
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 7:05am
Fodderstompf!
As they say, it must have lost something in the translation.

Post Reply