No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:20pm
Doesn't Zoom give non-hosts the option of recording locally? Could have sworn that was available.
I believe it does, but you'd have to be granted "permission" by the person hosting / leading the call.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:20pm
Doesn't Zoom give non-hosts the option of recording locally? Could have sworn that was available.
I believe it does, but you'd have to be granted "permission" by the person hosting / leading the call.
I suppose I can understand the rationale for that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching an episode of 1970s Match Game—aside: why do they keep trying to redo it? It will always fail because its charm came from the context of a bunch of minor celebrities revelling in post-sexual/drug awakening America and acting like it was one big key party—and it had a warning beforehand that says that it contains culturally and racially sensitive language. Which, yeah, it certainly does. It's still a bit jarring because of how that kind of frankness was at the forefront of public discussion. The stuff that All in the Family was celebrated for is now discomforting. That's not a criticism—I largely support the evolution of how we are increasingly treating language—but rather a reminder of how the past is a foreign country.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:37pm
Watching an episode of 1970s Match Game—aside: why do they keep trying to redo it?
because everyone loves this no matter what year it is

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 3:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watching an episode of 1970s Match Game—aside: why do they keep trying to redo it?

Not if it involves these:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 4:11pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

wife and I watch it because sometimes we just want to sit there and be allowed to be brainless for an hour, and this show is exactly that. Sometimes they have questions, usually about Kardassians, that the only possible answer is ass. and all 6 people say ass.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 4:11pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

wife and I watch it because sometimes we just want to sit there and be allowed to be brainless for an hour, and this show is exactly that. Sometimes they have questions, usually about Kardassians, that the only possible answer is ass. and all 6 people say ass.
No, the jokes should be about Nixon and Howard Cosell!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Watching an episode of 1970s Match Game—aside: why do they keep trying to redo it? It will always fail because its charm came from the context of a bunch of minor celebrities revelling in post-sexual/drug awakening America and acting like it was one big key party—and it had a warning beforehand that says that it contains culturally and racially sensitive language. Which, yeah, it certainly does. It's still a bit jarring because of how that kind of frankness was at the forefront of public discussion. The stuff that All in the Family was celebrated for is now discomforting. That's not a criticism—I largely support the evolution of how we are increasingly treating language—but rather a reminder of how the past is a foreign country.
I loves me some Match Game and refuse to even look at a redo. Like you said, that kind of charm can't be created.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

US or Canada, cops just love kneeling on black people's necks to let them know their life means shit.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.6070618

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 2:50pm
US or Canada, cops just love kneeling on black people's necks to let them know their life means shit.
Not again....I thought that after the George Floyd incident that the police agencies had ordered their officers not to use this method of immobilizing a suspect.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sickening.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 6:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not again....I thought that after the George Floyd incident that the police agencies had ordered their officers not to use this method of immobilizing a suspect.
Lip service.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
My partner took a teaching anti-racism course last month and the main presenter was from Canada and she strongly stressed a belief that Canada has a far worse issue with racism and its racist past than the United States. I found that very interesting.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My partner took a teaching anti-racism course last month and the main presenter was from Canada and she strongly stressed a belief that Canada has a far worse issue with racism and its racist past than the United States. I found that very interesting.
Better or worse is an impossible thing to assert because it means weighting various institutions, policies, and cultural attitudes. If, say, American slavery was worse than Canada's reservation and residential school policies, which meet the UN's criteria of genocide, how much worse? It's an unproductive game that ends up minimizing the suffering of people. But, yeah, Canada has no reason to be all that smug about race vis a vis the US. Tellingly, large chunks of Canada's white population is as defensive and in denial about it as in the US.

A former co-worker of mine has been engaged in a research project for years now, assessing capital punishment in Canada until it was outlawed in the 60s or 70s. One thing he found was that black people were executed at a higher rate in Canada than the US. I told him he needed to get that article written because that is dynamite.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I loves me some Match Game and refuse to even look at a redo. Like you said, that kind of charm can't be created.
Speaking of, I'm watching right now and the head-to-head match offered the following: "Wife ______." The 1970s context played out perfectly, as the contestant said "Wife swapper." (Alas, Richard Dawson went with "Wife beater.")